Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How will my new F350 behave in cold temps?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How will my new F350 behave in cold temps?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll be fine. You might want to cycle your glow plugs twice if its REALLY cold, but it'll start fine. It'll be noisy for a couple seconds, but it'll tone down pretty quick. I have a block heater, but only turn it on if I know I have to drive first thing in a cold morning. That's more for my personal comfort than any "need" of the truck.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New diesels start easy in any cold
as long as you have good battery and winter blend diesel

I remember younger days in place far away,
when we had air cooled diesels and if you had no ether spray,guys just set a bunch of newspaper alite and toss into intake to warm it up.

https://youtu.be/BO3JWP8BzeQ

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

You may wish to cycle the glow plugs twice.

i.e. turn on key and wait

then turn key off

then turn key on and wait--and start

There are magnetic "stick on" block heaters. I have one for my generator for truly cold weather.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

fishhogg

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can remember using a stove pipe w/ 90 deg end, propane weed burner and a piece of canvas to cover the entire engine to preheat here in Alaska on large trucks. And when we flew out to the bush we would drain the oil and pull the battery and reinstall to fly home. Some of the old Cummins engines had a compression release in cab, give a shot of starting fluid, run around pull compression release get engine turning over, release lever and away you Go. On our Ford pickups we drive out to our cabin, sometime staying for a week in -20 deg and have no problem starting with senthetic blend oil and good battery's. No electricity to plug in!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

OK, Mr. Nitpicker [emoticon] how about “All Diesels have some type of pre-heat system”?

[emoticon][emoticon]

I would still take issue with that statement. But I bought starting fluid by the case for decades. Of course, I used it for a lot of things besides starting the engines.
Don't use starting fluid with newer engines. Even if the heater doesn't work well enough to heat the airstream, can light the fluid get exciting.
Nowadays a little heat on the manifold is all that is needed. No longer have a issue with the oil so thick it won't let engine crank.
My first 1693 Cat, I had old car hood next to where I would shut it off at home. Dump a bag of charcoal on hood, soak with lighter fluid. When flames go away, shove under engine. A capsule of ether, (remember them?) then crank it up.
Pony motors? Ever fight with a series/parallel switch so the starter could run on 24V? Another thing that I don't understand why it fell out of favor was the air starter.

* This post was edited 12/20/20 07:00am by JRscooby *

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here, again thanks for all the great responses. I keep trucks forever, my last F150 was 13 yrs old with almost 250k on it when I finally had to call it a day. Technology has advanced a lot since them, This new truck is pretty amazing and seems to do everything for you. Per the manual the glow plugs are automatic. Sensors determine if they are needed and for how long and the engine goes into pending start mode until it's ready to crank. I'll have to look into the block heater but frankly as little as we travel in the cold and it's not really frigid it sounds like I won't really need it. Pulling the FW we usually arrive in MD with about a half a tank of fuel, so I can get fuel once we arrive and have a half a tank of blended. I'll top off the DEF before we leave.

Anyway, thanks again all. Lots of what I learn on these forums can't be found in a manual and it's very valuable.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to threads read on Ford sites, Ford discontinued putting a block heater in every engine starting with the 6.7 in 2011. Folks got caught trying to save money and ended up with no block heater to connect a wire to.

NRALIFR

Let’s Go Girls! [End of Quote]

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

OK, Mr. Nitpicker [emoticon] how about “All Diesels have some type of pre-heat system”?

[emoticon][emoticon]

I would still take issue with that statement. But I bought starting fluid by the case for decades. Of course, I used it for a lot of things besides starting the engines......

I already backpedaled on that, not doing it again [emoticon]

After posting that I did get to thinking about all the means of starting old diesels I’d seen. Pony engines, ether, and dual-fuel I had seen a few times. Never operated any that needed that.

Speaking of air start, I had actually wondered if diesels ever used compressed air or cartridge (sort of like a shotgun shell) start systems. Having spent a few years on a flight line, I’d seen both of those systems used on certain aircraft.

[emoticon][emoticon]

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Yes it does. What it’s missing is the plug harness that connects to the heater, and has a 120 volt AC plug on the end that gets run to the front bumper.

Sounds like the Ford system is similar to what GM now uses on the 2020+ trucks shown here

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP,
The new diesels cold start really easy without the aid of a block heater as long as you have good batteries and running 5W40 oil. 10W30 is good down to 0F so you should be good there as well. Like many have said your truck will start up with no problem and be sure to fill up with the local diesel for the anti gel additive. I think temps below -20F is when your looking for a block heater.

Here's a cold start video showing how easy these Power Strokes start up in cold temps.

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How will my new F350 behave in cold temps?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.