Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Running CPAP Without Utilities
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Running CPAP Without Utilities

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my manufacturer's 12v power cord and ran the 12v outlet to my bedside that Airstream couldn't be bothered to run.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

don't run the humidifier (or get a passover type) and don't use the heated hose and it will run a long time.
bumpy

x2. and virtually all CPAP/BiPAP machines sold in the U.S. today run on either 12V or 24V ALL the time. the wall cord either has a converter built in, or there is a internal 120VAC to DC converter. So..... there is in virtually all cases an DC input as well. Most will run directly on 12V, many resmed units run on 24VDC. In either case the mfg or aftermarket sell adapters for 12V to run the unit. Resmed adapters are a 12v-24V converter.

so..... if you have a 12V cig lighter port in the trailer your set.

Also there are lithium battery packs for CPAP units that will run most units for 2 nights as long as the humidifier and tube heater are off. One night otherwise.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

As mentioned some CPAP machines are 12 volt and are much more efficient than those that require an inverter and 120 volts. There is also a big variation in power consumption for the humidifer module. Typically the humidifer will consume as much or more than the blower. Some CPAPs even come with heated tubing. I cannot imagine how much power that would take.

Getting accurate data on your specific unit can be difficult. Typically the Respironics manuals show maximum power needs. An efficient 12 v unit can use as little as 25 AH/night, maybe 50 with the humidify on a relatively low setting. Plan on draining a typical car sized battery to 50% or less every night or at most every 2 nights.

my resmed unit if I turn off the humidifer and tube heater and run it from 12V draws less than 1A DC. 6-8AH/night. Now turn on the humidifer, another story, easily hit 25-30AH in one night.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 01:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the CPAP I have the humidifier half can be unhooked and the hose connected to the back output that formerly connected to the humidifier. I bought a 12 volt adapter cable and I run that off a dedicated 65 Ah AGM battery. Without the humidifier the power consumption is low and I can run 5 nights no problem without recharging. Could probably stretch it to 7 if needed.

I found wetting the nose piece helps with the lack of humidifier.

Have dry camped about 25 nights this season with this setup.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RambleOnNW wrote:

With the CPAP I have the humidifier half can be unhooked and the hose connected to the back output that formerly connected to the humidifier. I bought a 12 volt adapter cable and I run that off a dedicated 65 Ah AGM battery. Without the humidifier the power consumption is low and I can run 5 nights no problem without recharging. Could probably stretch it to 7 if needed.

you might be able to just leave the two connected and dial the humidifier down to off. it will then just work as a passover unit?
bumpy

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We both are on CPAP. When dry camping in the motorhome, we run the machines on 12VDC. The two T-105 house batteries will run both machines overnight with no problems. We don't mess with shutting down the humidifiers.
During the day, I run the generator long enough to recharge the batteries, run the AC, use the microwave, etc.
It works for us.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

RambleOnNW wrote:

you might be able to just leave the two connected and dial the humidifier down to off. it will then just work as a passover unit?
bumpy

Doc wouldn’t enable the ability to shutoff the humidifier, said split it apart instead.

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s plenty of info online for nearly every xPAP on clinician settings. Turning off the humidifier is a very simple change and has no bearing on pressures or other settings. I leave mine connected but the heat off so it runs like a passover humidifier.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run the wife’s ASV on the biggest 12v AGM motorcycle battery I could find. Bought the 12v converter with battery clips. No humidifier.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a hint for humidifer. on many units you can turn off the humidifier but leave the water chamber attached. so..... fill the water chamber with warm/hot water before going to bed and turn off the humidifier heat. you will still get some humidification from airflow over the water chamber.

And my CPAP has an optional insulating wrap for the hose, using that helps when the hose heat is not used and reduces power draw when the hose heat is used.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Running CPAP Without Utilities
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.