cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BRAKE CONTROLLER PLUG LOCATION?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2018 Ford Explorer with factory tow package. Has class 3 hitch and 7 and 4 pin plugs. I was told my Prodigy 2 brake controller would plug right into the system with the special adaptor cord which I bought. I have searched the web to find specific location of the plug. Based on the video's it is under the steering colum but not sure how to access it. Has anyone done this? I am stumped.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
5 REPLIES 5

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to lay on your back and start digging. My old F150 was under the dash between steering column and center console area.

red31
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
This information is from installation instructions:
The harness for the Ford Explorer/Mercury
Mountaineer is located behind the vehicle glove
box on the Passenger side or the harness will
be located underneath and left of the steering
column, taped to another harness near the
emergency brake pedal. There will be a
6-pin connector that mates with the one

Might have well just said located somewhere under the entire dash, that is a lot of "real estate" to cover :E

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This information is from installation instructions:
The harness for the Ford Explorer/Mercury
Mountaineer is located behind the vehicle glove
box on the Passenger side or the harness will
be located underneath and left of the steering
column, taped to another harness near the
emergency brake pedal. There will be a
6-pin connector that mates with the one

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Typically the connector will be closer to right of the steering column over near the center stack where your radio/heat controls are. Look around that area under the dash, most likely will be very close to the place where the factory brake controller should be (factory controller is optional on F150 but there should be a dummy plastic cover in place where it should go if you had it from factory..

Typically the connector may not be physically seen, may need to feel for it or remove the center stack assembly to make it easier to find. They are in a bear of a location.. At least that is the way it has been up to 2006 which was our last truck without factory TBC..