cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad Full size Pickup

herbert007
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of towing a 2005 Silverado 4WD 3500. I have a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 31 with triton V10. I don't plan in travelling very far and would welcome any comments and suggestions such as tow bars etc.
11 REPLIES 11

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
herbert007,

You might be OK, though it'll take some work on your part to verify this, and then have faith in a good frame shop to fit your rig with the proper hitch and have it properly welded to the motorhome frame.

Here's how it might work for you. Your motorhome is 31' long. Have you ever had it weighed, loaded as you travel? If not, that's step #1. The GCWR of the chassis is most likely 26,000 pounds. If your rig, loaded for travel, weighs in at about 19,300 pounds (26,000 lbs. - 6700 lbs.) or less, you could tow your truck and be "safe" by the numbers. Assuming we have the weight of the truck correct. It probably wouldn't hurt to weigh the truck as well.

This will still require you to find a frame shop to put a better hitch on it rated for this extra weight and have it properly welded to the motorhome frame.

As others have mentioned, you WILL need a braking system for the truck as well. The motorhome brakes are NOT rated to handle the GCWR of the vehicle, from what I remember reading from Ford literature.

If your rig weighs in about 20,000 lbs. ready to travel, perhaps you can lighten that a bit by travelling with minimal water and possibly other things. If you're a couple of hundred pounds over, it probably won't be a huge deal.

You said you wouldn't be travelling far. This doesn't really come into the "safety" part of the equation, but it does figure into the overall wear & tear on the rig. Especially if you're over the chassis weight ratings.

For comparison, our 36' gas rig on a Workhorse chassis weighs in about 19,000 lbs. empty (no water, no supplies, driver only). So it's possible that maybe your 31' rig might be 1,000 lbs. (or more) lighter. (I think I remember seeing somewhere that the Workhorse chassis's tended to be heavier than the corresponding Ford chassis in that era, but not 100% sure of that.) Anyway, not sure by how much, but yours SHOULD be lighter. (Our rig has 2 slides by the way. If yours only has one, that'll be a couple of hundred pounds of weight saved right there.) Fully loaded and ready to travel (we are a family of 5), we're usually at just around 21,500 pounds on a chassis with a GVWR of 22,000 lbs. We tend to pack heavy, full (75 gallons) of water, and I think my wife even packed the snow parkas when we went to Florida IN THE SUMMER!!!! LOL Anyway, so we're just under the GVWR. Which we need. The GCWR of our chassis is 26,000 lbs. and we tow our Honda Odyssey, which weighs in around 4,450 pounds, give or take. Combined we are just at the 26,000 lb. GCWR, give or take a couple of hundred pounds or so, and the rig handles it pretty well. BUT...we haven't attempted the mountains out West. But no major issues with anything on the East Coast.

Our rig had a 5,000 lb. rated hitch on it from the factory, so we didn't have to have any hitch work done. We DO have a braking system installed on the Odyssey, and I can TELL if it's not turned on. There is definitely a noticeable difference in stopping power with and without the TOAD brake system engaged.

Well, as others have pointed out and you said, you have a bit of work to do. I say you just might be able to do it AND stay within the chassis manufacturer's ratings. It'll require a better hitch, but you'll still be by the numbers. Now, if you go OVER the numbers a bit, then it's on you as to consider "how much" is "too much". You shouldn't go over the ratings, but I'm sure there are quite a few who do, and most don't even realize it.

Good Luck, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very high probability you might be at or exceeding the towing limits of the chassis.

2006 Ford F53 Chassis Specifications
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Not ideal. Youโ€™re taking on quite a load for a V-10.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
The truck might have more towing capacity than the motor home!!

I do know a fellow who towed a full size Dodge Pickup behind a 43 foot Dutch Star with a Diesel engine !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

herbert007
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for all the input. I have some work to do. Merry Christmas and stay safe

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Brochure weights are approximate. Take a picture of the MHโ€™s sticker and please post it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The most popular pickup truck as a toad is the Ford F-150. Be sure you check to see if yours is towable. You can go to the Blue Ox website and see if the Silverado is listed. If it's not there it is likely not. If it is listed there you can do some further research to see what has to be done to get it ready.
If it's really 6700# as mentioned above, many tow hitches on RV's are only rated for 5000#. Your coach combined capacity will also need to be verified for safe and legal towing. It that all works out, be sure to make arrangement for a proper braking system for the PU as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
It's just too heavy.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would verify towing capacity before investing any money in a tow bar. It isn't just about your hitch weight capacity. You don't want to risk damaging your transmission. You might be able to pull it but are you going to be able to stop it; i.e. are your brakes rated to handle that much load.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, the 3500 will weigh in at 6700 lbs. I don't know what teh capacity of the Voyage is. I looked at the brochure, but it doesn't specify. Best check out the label in the RV to see what it specifies. Voyage Brochure
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is the Voyageโ€™s max tow weight? What does your 3500 weigh?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad