cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Booster vs Laptop charger

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
This booster says it will charge cell phones, etc. Says nothing about laptops. Just wondering if out boondocking a bit, will it charge a laptop as well. Not sure about phones, but laptops are 19v, and this is a 12v booster. Also not sure how that equates to the watts or whatever happens to a charging current... Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016UG6PWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
monkey44 wrote:
Ok, I thought it was 'over-hyped' by a few reviews. Seems senseless to charge an expendable charge in a laptop with another expendable battery.
If you choose to carry a booster you may as well use it as designed to run a laptop. While the charge is expendable, it can be replaced as you drive around to see the sights, on your way to the next destination, or when you arrive home.

I would not buy this jump box for the primary purpose of running the laptop.

BTW I have one of these under the tree and I plan to take it with me in the car day to day and in the truck when camping for the jump start feature. I do like the idea of providing USB or 12v power in an emergency situation. Has a flashlight too.

MrWizard
" Ok, Seems senseless to charge an expendable charge in a laptop with another expendable battery. Duh! But just checking."

Millions of people do this everyday, with pocket size USB power banks for their phone or tablet

Quite a few lithium jump boosters have DC output ports with proper adapter for charging notebooks and laptops,
Before it died the one I had could do 12v, 15v, 19v
Had push button to select voltage out,
I damaged it trying to start a suburban with dead battery hidden under floor in the rear, with jumper posts under hood, poor power to the battery, and heavy amps from booster direct to starter when turning the key,
Warning don't connect to jumper posts under the hood, always connect directly to the start battery,
If it's not your car, tell them to remove seat, open trunk bed, etc.. What ever has to be done to access the start battery, with lithium jump booster,
After I tried to help them and failed, the battery in my booster swelled up, it started losing power , power faded away with each use, it was only 2 years old
$80 gone, now I need a new one

Note: the warning is just info about my experience, not related to OP question, maybe it will prevent some one from doing the same thing and killing their jump start booster
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Matter of fact, I believe Torklift makes a battery holder that attaches to the frame and holds a battery under the truck bed ... or, yes you're correct, plenty of space between camper and sidewall. Gotta look into that. We're planning another trip west in the spring if all works out. Thx M44

Happy camping guys, stay safe. Enjoy the holidays -- 2020 out the door, and welcome 2021 ... ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
Ok, I thought it was 'over-hyped' by a few reviews. Seems senseless to charge an expendable charge in a laptop with another expendable battery. Duh! But just checking.

I do have the auxiliary 12v charger, but was looking for a better way to charge laptop and camera batteries without spending truck battery with no HU. Camping in a Truck Camper means only one auxiliary battery.

Guess if we could invent charging power out of thin air, we'd be millionaires. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Hmm..

TC, you do have a bunch of unused space between the wheel wells of the truck doing absolutely nothing.. Can make for a good place to hid a few batteries.

Most trucks also have a good deal of open space on the outside of the frame on the underside of the truck which can also lend it's self pretty handy to add some battery storage. I remember my Dad's 1970 F100 actually had a spare tire storage door on the passenger side of bottom of the truck bed..

My Dad even hid an entire window A/C unit behind the passenger wheel well and bent some sheet metal to deflect the heat out past the tail light of the truck for his TC.. Worked like a charm.. Back then, campgrounds charged extra if they saw a A/C unit on the roof.

Any of those jump packs you would have to recharge anyways just adding a lot of cost and not much use to your camping experience.. Get more bang for the buck just finding an alternate place to hide a real battery..

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Guess if we could invent charging power out of thin air, we'd be millionaires. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
That would be called a solar charging system

^^^^ True enough ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
monkey44 wrote:
That would be called a solar charging system

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ok, I thought it was 'over-hyped' by a few reviews. Seems senseless to charge an expendable charge in a laptop with another expendable battery. Duh! But just checking.

I do have the auxiliary 12v charger, but was looking for a better way to charge laptop and camera batteries without spending truck battery with no HU. Camping in a Truck Camper means only one auxiliary battery.

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a 12v adapter to your Laptop it should work. User guide says it provides 15 amps at 12 volts through the accessory connection.

NOCO GB70 user guide

GB70 data sheet. (has some pictures of the accessories and connections)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Edโ€™s right. I bought one recently.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
You may find a 12V Laptop DC adapter or charger for yourr specific laptop on Amazon. They are pretty cheap and are the most efficient way to go.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
This booster says it will charge cell phones, etc. Says nothing about laptops. Just wondering if out boondocking a bit, will it charge a laptop as well. Not sure about phones, but laptops are 19v, and this is a 12v booster. Also not sure how that equates to the watts or whatever happens to a charging current... Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016UG6PWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

That is nothing but a self contained 12V "jump" battery pack for starting a vehicle, will not directly power a laptop.

While you could hook a small inverter to the pack, WHY?

You can buy no fuss "universal" laptop power supplies which are designed to take 12V car cig lighter port and output 18V-21V depending on the power tip you select for your laptop.

Power tip will automatically set the universal power supply to your laptop voltage and max current draw.

Some of these also have a 5V USB charging port on them.

Here is pix of one example..

Don't remember what the brand I bought for DD, but she has been using it for 3 yrs now and has not killed it yet (and she kills everything that has wires attached to it).

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
The outputs of this unit are 12 volt for jump starting and 5 volt for USB ports. You could attach an inverter to this to produce 120 volt ac or get a 12 volt power adapter for your computer. If your phone charges from USB this would charge your phone.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN