Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with a dually or single?need help please

loverving45
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I have a 39’ fifth wheel 4 slides, , 14000 pound, and am about to buy a pick up to tow it. Everyone tells me to buy regular pickup , not a dually. They say the regular single rear wheel is enough for towing this fifth wheel and no need for dually. I’ve heard that dually is a must have for such big trailers due to the steadiness it provides. My question is for those of you who own similar size of rig, do you suggest me buying a dually or a single rear wheel? Also, which if the companies is the best for this purpose, ram, gmc or Ford? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thank you
57 REPLIES 57

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
In the State of California, any pick up truck, even the very small rangers, Nissans, etc. are considered commercial. That's how thy justify soaking you on your registration

I remember as a kid being surprised when my dad parked in a yellow curb (commercial loading).

He said, "The state soaks us for commercial plates, so I'm parking in the commercial spot."

SweetLou, don’t expect Cali to give up that cash cow without a fight!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
So Nalley's went to direct to individual stores and a driver salesman. The vehicle of choice was an F350 DRW and a decent sized box 5er trailer. The total package weight maybe 20,000#. Well the driver salesmen were required in Washington to get CDL's

Makes sense, as their driving was COMMERCIAL in nature after all. Kinda hard to spin a "potato chip sales/delivery person" as private transportation.

That is the key - Commercial use ~ VS ~ Recreational use..

Got that, but the truck GVWR was only 10,000#

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
memtb wrote:
Some of you folks are living in states that are running behind on “soaking” the taxpayer (vehicle license) fees. We have the privilege of paying an “additional” fee of $90.00/year .....heavy vehicle fee for each vehicle (truck, 5th wheel, class c). For us, that adds $270.00 to our already high vehicle license plate fees. :M memtb

I’ll trade your $270 addl tabs for my property tax rate!

Gotta raise money there somehow...mining is getting the shaft (no pun intended) and the speed goats outnumber the tax payers. My kinda place and god willing I get the privilege of having Wyoming license plates again someday!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
So Nalley's went to direct to individual stores and a driver salesman. The vehicle of choice was an F350 DRW and a decent sized box 5er trailer. The total package weight maybe 20,000#. Well the driver salesmen were required in Washington to get CDL's

Makes sense, as their driving was COMMERCIAL in nature after all. Kinda hard to spin a "potato chip sales/delivery person" as private transportation.

That is the key - Commercial use ~ VS ~ Recreational use..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dedmiston
SweetLou wrote:
In the State of California, any pick up truck, even the very small rangers, Nissans, etc. are considered commercial. That's how thy justify soaking you on your registration

I remember as a kid being surprised when my dad parked in a yellow curb (commercial loading).

He said, "The state soaks us for commercial plates, so I'm parking in the commercial spot."

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you folks are living in states that are running behind on “soaking” the taxpayer (vehicle license) fees. We have the privilege of paying an “additional” fee of $90.00/year .....heavy vehicle fee for each vehicle (truck, 5th wheel, class c). For us, that adds $270.00 to our already high vehicle license plate fees. :M memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Grit Dog, don't know where you have been since 2013, but Ram made the jump to big SRW GVWR back then.
2013 Ram 3500 SRW LB GVWR 12,300#
2013 Ram 3500 SRW SB GVWR 11,700#
Ford and GM were still topped out at 11,500# until 2020.

Sorry, I meant 3/4 ton trucks. Last I checked, but icbw, Ram 2500s are still at the 10k limit whereas the other 2 now have supersized 3/4 ton GVW offerings. Albeit, defeating the actual reason for 3/4 tons having a 10k gvw limit for commercial use.

Well the GM and Ford 250/2500 over 10,000# are now class 3 trucks. Most states that have higher/commercial registration for 350/3500 go by GVWR not the badge on the door or hood.
As stated before, why not just get rid of the class 2 diesel trucks.

Well what likely needs to happen is that states need update their registration laws and weight classifications!
Will that likely happen, probably NOT.

If you go back 25 years, even the big three 350/3500's had GVWR between 10,000# to 10,500#. Meaning that likely most states saw trucks over 10,000# commercial trucks, meaning higher cost, and because of the commercial registration higher insurance rates.

Going to the Way-back machine late 1980's, Here in the PNW Nalley's was a large producer of potato chips and chip like snacks. They were sold directly to grocery wholesale warehouses and chains, Safeway, Albertson's and Thriftway. Very little merchandising just what the stores did.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
GVWR should be higher but one more pound to 14,001# will put the DRW into commercial territory.

??
I don't understand.
For non commercial use, single vehicles under 26k gvw don't have any drivers license requirements.
For commercial, single vehicles basically have 10k and 26k limits on drivers file, drivers license required.

Maybe some states have different registration requirements over 14k? Just like some states have weird laws about lighter trucks as well, like NY and CA?
What is magical about 14k gvw? In any state I could drive it with a normal drivers license and in WA at least there's no additional inspection requirements or anything, just buy the weight tabs you want.

Didn’t say license. Insurance and registration changes at 14,001# in many locations. Example the F450 stays at Class 3 for the above reasons when it clearly should be Class 4.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Grit Dog, don't know where you have been since 2013, but Ram made the jump to big SRW GVWR back then.

Sorry, I meant 3/4 ton trucks. Last I checked, but icbw, Ram 2500s are still at the 10k limit whereas the other 2 now have supersized 3/4 ton GVW offerings. Albeit, defeating the actual reason for 3/4 tons having a 10k gvw limit for commercial use.

Well the GM and Ford 250/2500 over 10,000# are now class 3 trucks. Most states that have higher/commercial registration for 350/3500 go by GVWR not the badge on the door or hood.

You still don’t understand. 10k gvw is necessary to circumvent DOT issues for commercially operated trucks. 10k gvw allows the capability of a big boy pickup while circumventing the DOT drivers file and DOT numbers requirements for ALOT of drivers.
Although many companies don’t follow the drivers file requirements, it does cause issues fairly frequently with employees driving >10k gvw trucks. Especially with trailers.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
GVWR should be higher but one more pound to 14,001# will put the DRW into commercial territory.

??
I don't understand.
For non commercial use, single vehicles under 26k gvw don't have any drivers license requirements.
For commercial, single vehicles basically have 10k and 26k limits on drivers file, drivers license required.

Maybe some states have different registration requirements over 14k? Just like some states have weird laws about lighter trucks as well, like NY and CA?
What is magical about 14k gvw? In any state I could drive it with a normal drivers license and in WA at least there's no additional inspection requirements or anything, just buy the weight tabs you want.

Didn’t say license. Insurance and registration changes at 14,001# in many locations. Example the F450 stays at Class 3 for the above reasons when it clearly should be Class 4.

Oh ya. Makes sense.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

??
I don't understand.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

??
I don't understand.