Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tiffin Acquired by Thor for 300mil.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tiffin Acquired by Thor for 300mil.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow so they all fall to the big boy fall out. Kinda sad to see all the owner brands fall to the big corporate groups. I see they got Van Leigh also.
Guess Bob and family can finally retire.

Bill

Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There goes their Quality

Busdriver 2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wondered what it would do for Tiffin's quality.
Will they use the same quality control as Thor? I did read somewhere the quality of Tiffin has been lower in recent years.
Or will they go to badge engineering and every third or forth unit off the Thor assembly line will be a Tiffin?

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The strange part, if I'm reading the release correctly, is Tiffin approach Thor with the sale proposal.

"I was therefore thrilled to be contacted by Bob when he wanted to talk about joining the THOR family of companies."

THOR Announces Acquisition Of Luxury RV Manufacturer Tiffin Motorhomes

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thor, like Berkshire/Hathaway, does NOT buy companies that are distressed or need help. They buy companies they feel are already run by good management. They do NOT replace senior people. Per the deal, Bob Tiffin and existing management will continue operating the company. Tiffin quality has gone down as Bob Tiffin, did not want to expand his work Force after the 2008 melt down. They are pushing out units as fast as they can with their existing work force and will pay the Dealers to fix problems they miss in Red Bay. Bob Tiffin regretted the amount of people he had to lay off from the 2008 melt down. When Thor purchase Jayco, NOTHING was done to change their people or management. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason Bob contacted Thor was simple. There is a minor problem within the Tiffin family of how the succession of leadership will be when Bob finally walks away and retires. One of the sons was asked to walk away and took his buy out previous to the Thor purchase. My personal belief is, Bob felt selling would ease family tensions as the Tiffins get their hard earned money and the fate of the Company is now with Thor. Doug

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There goes the neighborhood.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ They are pushing out units as fast as they can with their existing work force and will pay the Dealers to fix problems they miss in Red Bay”

This process is one reason most if not all RV manufactures have an iffy to bad quality reputation. They let known issues out the door assuming the dealer will fix them, perhaps before customers finds them. Unfortunately their assumption is wrong. Many dealers do very little other than wash it, and perhaps fix any glaringly obvious issues before selling the RV to a customer. Then once it’s in the customers hands getting it fixed under warranty can be a real PIA. At least that was my experience with my BSS from Newmar.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I heard the same story as Dougrainer. Makes sense too.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

When Thor purchase Jayco, NOTHING was done to change their people or management. Doug

And your point is? You don't think Thor is going to tell management of acquired companies what to do and how to run the business? I've seen RVs made prior to Thor acquiring a company and the same RVs made after Thor's acquisition. The drop in quality was glaring.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tiffin Acquired by Thor for 300mil.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.