Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Blocking "Restricted" Calls on Smartphone
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Blocking "Restricted" Calls on Smartphone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Verizon has an app for download called Call Filter. $2.99 a month. Kinda helpful in cutting garbage texts and calls, but I have heard AT&Ts app available to their customers is outstanding. Big problem with any of them they all struggle somewhat with spoofed numbers, which telemarketers and scammers thrive on. End of the day, I don't recognize a number, I let it go to voicemail. No voicemail, I use Call Filter to block the number.and there's no limit to numbers you can block.

Bigbird65

Arlington Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/block-calls/

This has an option to block unknown numbers.

Thanks, Bobby. I found the button to “block unknown callers”. I never knew it was there until you helped. Now we’ll see if it stops these idiots.
BTW, I never answer an unrecognized call. If they leave no voicemail, it’s a scammer for sure.

I am on AT&T and use AT&T Call Protect free app and it does a very good job of screening our Telemarketers and Spammers.

MikeDupont

TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

FlatBroke wrote:

Got my iPhone set that only my contacts will ring the phone, others go straight to voicemail. Legitimate callers always leave a message. The rest, to heck with them.

Exactly. Now they need the same function for txt messages.

This is also what i do. Ringtone default is set to silent, my contacts have their own 20-30 seconds of unique music clip (eg, Judas Priest 'Breakin the Law' for my bud who is a bondsman). My voicemail was never activated- my friends know to text or await a return call/text.

And like wildtoad, i eagerly await the day i can do the default autodelete for texts.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I've read this before, and I always wonder what you do when you get a call from a number you don't recognize, and it's from someone who borrowed a phone to call you for one reason or another. We've had that happen with our great-granddaughter.

FWIW we get very few, if any, spam calls on our cell phones, but I'd hate to think that someone needed to get a hold of me and I ignored it because it simply wasn't on my contact list. I guess if they really need help, they'll call back...oh yeah, and get ignored again. [emoticon]

They can leave a voice mail, or text you. I believe on mine there is a setting to allow a call through if it's multiple calls in a short amount of time.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/block-calls/

This has an option to block unknown numbers.

Thanks, Bobby. I found the button to “block unknown callers”. I never knew it was there until you helped. Now we’ll see if it stops these idiots.
BTW, I never answer an unrecognized call. If they leave no voicemail, it’s a scammer for sure.

You are quite welcome.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

Verizon has an app for download called Call Filter. $2.99 a month. Kinda helpful in cutting garbage texts and calls, but I have heard AT&Ts app available to their customers is outstanding. Big problem with any of them they all struggle somewhat with spoofed numbers, which telemarketers and scammers thrive on. End of the day, I don't recognize a number, I let it go to voicemail. No voicemail, I use Call Filter to block the number.and there's no limit to numbers you can block.

I use the free version and it does pretty good. There are some options on the paid version that some may find helpful. Because I use my phone for business and my number has been out in the ether for quite some time I get my share of spam but this app filters probably 50% or better out.

The only other thing I would add is restricted does not necessarily mean spam. I have had to deal with the FBI a couple times in my job and the calls always came up restricted.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One problem trying to block all "restricted" numbers is you may end up blocking calls from your Dr., Pharmacy, Hospital, emergency services etc. To comply with HIPA or privacy concerns in many cases the phone number and caller can't be shown.

It has caused occasional problems with both our landlines and cell phones on prep calls prior to surgery. I make a point to tell the office to use a non restricted number, which they usually have available.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

One problem trying to block all "restricted" numbers is you may end up blocking calls from your Dr., Pharmacy, Hospital, emergency services etc. To comply with HIPA or privacy concerns in many cases the phone number and caller can't be shown.

It has caused occasional problems with both our landlines and cell phones on prep calls prior to surgery. I make a point to tell the office to use a non restricted number, which they usually have available.

I understand your point, but the same restricted caller may call several times a day and the annoyance becomes almost unbearable. I'm willing to take the chance that a "restricted" caller is actually legitimate. If he is, a voicemail will ensue.

* This post was edited 12/22/20 07:20am by mr. ed *

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Nomorobo on the house line, so we never even look at the phone until the second ring.

The "Credit Card Interest" AHs keep calling from different numbers. Sometimes, they even spoof good numbers. If I have time, I just string them along until the jerk figures out he has been had...
Then, if I have the time, I report that number to Nomorobo.

They just keep calling.

My cell used to be my business phone. I used to get 20~30 junk texts a week. For the last couple of years it has had an auto reply that says "Stop - this number no longer accepts text" followed by a remark. I am now down to about 1 or 2 texts a week, but I also turned off notification and it is not on a leading screen, so it can be a week before I notice them.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I kept getting calls from American Solar
Who wanted to put Solar panels on my home and reduce my electric bill, finally one day I told him if he could 5000 watts on the roof of my motorhome I'd be interested otherwise forget it,
No more calls from that telemarketer
This year it's the female robocall trying to reach me about my car warranty
And the one calling from BankX about my account
And of course, I don't happen to have an account at that Bank,, that one is a Pishing scam , I pity the people that actually use that Bank, answer the questions, then get ripped
A friend has gotten emails saying her eBay account has been closed do to suspected fraud activity and to call such & such number, that person has never had ebay sellers account, has never too my knowledge bought anything off ebay , she thought somebody used her name and email and messed her up, I had to explain it to her, it wasn't ebay but a scam to get her info, her name wasn't in the email, and she never had account there to get messed up

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Blocking "Restricted" Calls on Smartphone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.