Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Which TT has the Best Kitchen and Why?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Which TT has the Best Kitchen and Why?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

I apologize for taking this off topic:

propchef, you mentioned "I sous vide frequently!". Can you recommend a decent immersion circulator that won't break the bank?. It doesn't have to be the best, just functional. My interest is large 1 1/2" bone-in ribeyes and chicken breast.
What temperature do you recommend for chicken?

Thanks

Now back to your regular scheduled program

I use the Joule. https://www.chefsteps.com/joule

I have 6 of them at work and I keep one in a drawer at home. It's operated completely from your phone, there are no controls on the unit its self. The app comes with tons of great recipes built-in or you can manually set the unit.

You'll also need a good vacuum sealer if you don't already. We bought our home unit at Costco, I use a commercial chamber type at work.

For those unfamiliar, Sous Vide means "Under Vacuum" and is a low-temperature cooking method. It is *not* "boil-in-bag". Foods, like beef short ribs, are seasoned and vacuum sealer, then cooked at a VERY specific temperature over a long time, submerged in water. The Joule unit heats and circulates the water. The only drawback whilst traveling is the cook times. Salmon can be done in about a half-hour, but beef short ribs is a 36-hour affair. BUT...you've never had short ribs like this, ever. No loss like typical braising and the texture is hard to describe. Sous Vide is equally amazing with pork.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a vacuum sealer. I buy large end prime ribs when on sale and cut it up into steaks. This year they are $5/lb at Krogers. I season, seal and freeze them until time to cook.

Now comes the tricky part. Once thawed, I place them in a 5gal pot with 3gal of water and TRY to maintain that at 140 deg for 90 minutes on the stove top. The more water in the pot, the easier it is to hold the temperature. Remove from bag, dry, season and brown on the Weber for a few minutes each side. They come out perfect all the way to the bone.

I just need to take it to the next level with a circulator so I don't have to nurse it for 90 minutes. The circulators I find are $200 and up. I guess I'll have to pay to play.

I haven't tried chicken breast yet because I'm unsure of a safe temperature. I believe I'll need a circulator to do chicken safely.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our galley has an Elkay 22”x 25” SS single bowl sink, standard Suburban RV stove w/ 3 burners, and a microwave. I made a 2 piece cover for the sink for more counter space. I hope to remove the stove this winter, make a new top and install a 2 burner cooktop. We use a Cuisinart convection toaster oven that will live where the stove was and come out when needed. We do use the microwave. The stove hood is noisy but works pretty well. Also have a Fantastic Fan in the galley area. Never have had a ventilation problem.
The dinette is opposite the galley and the table is used quite often as a countertop.
95% of cooking meat/fish is done outside on a 22” Weber Kettle grill. Sides are usually on the grill or on the cooktop. I really have never had the need for more than one burner inside and have found the front burner adequate, but I am not using cast iron.
We also believe in eating simply, but with as good ingredients as possible.
Good luck to you in your endeavor.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

Our galley has an Elkay 22”x 25” SS single bowl sink, standard Suburban RV stove w/ 3 burners, and a microwave. I made a 2 piece cover for the sink for more counter space. I hope to remove the stove this winter, make a new top and install a 2 burner cooktop. We use a Cuisinart convection toaster oven that will live where the stove was and come out when needed. We do use the microwave. The stove hood is noisy but works pretty well. Also have a Fantastic Fan in the galley area. Never have had a ventilation problem.
The dinette is opposite the galley and the table is used quite often as a countertop.
95% of cooking meat/fish is done outside on a 22” Weber Kettle grill. Sides are usually on the grill or on the cooktop. I really have never had the need for more than one burner inside and have found the front burner adequate, but I am not using cast iron.
We also believe in eating simply, but with as good ingredients as possible.
Good luck to you in your endeavor.

Thank you very much, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

We probably have the same countertop convection oven. It's big enough that my skillet fits and I have a pizza stone for it. We love it.

As you say, I imagine using one burner most of the time, with the occasional second used. Outside will always be preferred, but when we're using it in travel mode we'll want to park and prepare dinner with as little fuss as possible.

We have two Weber kettles, one more than 20 years old, and everything one it has been replaced, including the bowl. We use it for everything.

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

I have a vacuum sealer. I buy large end prime ribs when on sale and cut it up into steaks. This year they are $5/lb at Krogers. I season, seal and freeze them until time to cook.

Now comes the tricky part. Once thawed, I place them in a 5gal pot with 3gal of water and TRY to maintain that at 140 deg for 90 minutes on the stove top. The more water in the pot, the easier it is to hold the temperature. Remove from bag, dry, season and brown on the Weber for a few minutes each side. They come out perfect all the way to the bone.

I just need to take it to the next level with a circulator so I don't have to nurse it for 90 minutes. The circulators I find are $200 and up. I guess I'll have to pay to play.

I haven't tried chicken breast yet because I'm unsure of a safe temperature. I believe I'll need a circulator to do chicken safely.

Chicken is always a bit tricky, but doable. The minimum internal for chicken is 165, but for fifteen seconds. If properly held at a lower temp, but for a longer period, it's perfectly safe.

I teach culinary now and I'm happy to answer any questions or point you to cooking/time charts. I've been teaching food safety for 3o years. There's a cooking section on this forum and the topic can be continued there if anyone is interested.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

I apologize for taking this off topic:

propchef, you mentioned "I sous vide frequently!". Can you recommend a decent immersion circulator that won't break the bank?. It doesn't have to be the best, just functional. My interest is large 1 1/2" bone-in ribeyes and chicken breast.
What temperature do you recommend for chicken?

Thanks

Now back to your regular scheduled program

We recently picked up an instapot (fancy pressure cooker).

It came with a sous vide option. We've only tried this mode a couple times but seems to do a decent job.

We got it so when off grid, we could run the generator for 15-20min and a meal is complete. Great for soups and stews what might take a 2-3hrs slowly simmering.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trust me you will not be happy with the btu output of the burner. I get mad just thinking about using it. So much so that i bring along an 2 burner ellecteic cooktop. I dont like them either. Lol.best bet is to wait untill you get to camp before needing a stovetop. Or get a portable butane one. I though of that also, but i bring too many cooking things.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one biggest improvement over a stock tt kitchen would be an induction burner. I believe a 110v restaurant quality induction burner(s) w infinite heat settings and capable of continuous duty would be a huge upgrade over propane. In addition I would have a 2 burner propane camp stove such as made by partner steel w a quick connects for both inside (as a back-up), but primarily for outdoor use. I'm uncertain which way to go for a oven or even if one is necessary, perhaps a bbq and/or dutch oven could fill that role. I am planning on putting my ideas to work in a truck camper build so eliminating the heat and moisture from propane would be a major plus.

I think a plastic tub could handle any oversize cleaning needs rather than dedicating space to a big sink which is going to take up what would be storage space. One "must have" is a built in soap dispenser by the kitchen sink.

As an aside we've been using a temp kitchen set up in the garage during our remodel using an induction burner and the camp stove. We also have a natural gas bbq, toaster oven, micro, and an instant pot. I have been fairly successful using the bbq as oven for instance making meatloaf, enchiladas and sole in a sheet pan w white wine. I think the instant pot could be a great camping tool if one doesn't have the willpower to make and freeze meals ahead.

My biggest unanswered concern is how to make great coffee w out tons of heat and moisture in the living quarters.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

My biggest unanswered concern is how to make great coffee w out tons of heat and moisture in the living quarters.

That's easy: Heat the water in a pot and use a Melitta drip:

[image]

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electric-Induction-Cooker-Cooktop/dp/B0753699Y2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=duel+induction+burner&qid=1608736236&sr=8-3
Only problem is you would need to be pluged in. And watch your power consumption. I dont like them, but if you do they sell these.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Which TT has the Best Kitchen and Why?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.