cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out awning

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
Is an awning over a slide out worth the cost? I have had a couple leaks in my trailer due to debris collecting on the top of the slide out. Never had this problem before. Have a small leaf blower now but it is a little bit of a hassle to clean.
16 REPLIES 16

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I wouldnt have a RV with out them. aside from them keeping the top of the slide clean and free of tree litter and snow. they also reduce the amount of rain hitting the top of the slide and in the summer I think they help keep the RV cooler by acking as a sun shade for the top of the slide. I always work them into the deal so usaly they dont cost me anymore that I notice it anyways.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I got tired of going up on the roof and cleaning off the top of the slide when camping in the woods.

Oh, and wiping down the roof when it was wet. Then there was the time I stopped overnight and it snowed. That was a mess to clean off the slide roof.

WHen I decided to finally install a slide topper, I ordered it through a dealer, who ordered it from Northwood. Northwood sent it to the dealer with a new unit delivery so I didn't have to pay any freight / shipping.

The dealer wanted more labor fees to install the awning than what the awning cost, so I installed it myself as shown in this video

I did other upgrades at the same time I installed the awning.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
It is well worth the money. A buddy and I have installed 3 of the Solera toppers. Here one of them is on our 2250DS.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
I installed my own 12' slide topper two years ago on my 2nd TT. Ordered it from Makarios as they have been mentioned here before.

For me, YES, it was worth every single penny.
I am in the north east and you pretty much cant camp anywhere that doesn't have trees all around. (Anywhere worthwhile anyway)

Leaves, sticks, needles, acorns, polynoses, ect. are always abundant.

I was done climbing the rear ladder with a broom to sweep off the slide every time we pack up. I am pretty anal about keeping the slide clean and never put it in without out a brush off. Rain, wind or whatever. I dont fear heights but its a cautious task at best. Weather doesnt help.

Roll that sucker in, and it self cleans!
I mumble to myself every time we are leaving, "I should have put it in sooner" or "Man, I am glad I have that"

I can see that if your out west/southwest without many tree filled campgrounds it may not be necessary.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
My brother-in-law is fixing to put them on his 5th wheel. Iโ€™m going to seriously look into it this year.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
scotty46 wrote:
Is an awning over a slide out worth the cost? I have had a couple leaks in my trailer due to debris collecting on the top of the slide out. Never had this problem before.

Yes, they are worth the cost. I installed one for some of the same reasons you did.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, get a ladder. I have the same problem with mine but its a rear bed slide, so no way to add a topper. I use the ladder and a microfiber cloth to clear it and dry it before sliding it in. Not ideal in the rain.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Not disputing anyone's personal experience with slides as I'm either or but on our latest trailer without toppers, it's virtually impossible for water intrusion.

Very large double gasket on the outside and the fact we've already experienced a foot of snow with slides extended, dry inside.

Oh my apology, misunderstood.
I can certainly see where water would be an issue if retracting with snow on top of slides.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I put toppers on all 4 of my slides because of both debris and snow. Wet leafs in the PNW get all over bare slides, and require sweeping them off each use. They simply fall off the topper when the slide room is retracted.

Same with snow. First ski trip out, I ended up with water everywhere from snow coming in the slides. For modest snow, it just sheds off the toppers when I bring it in. I've only had to broom them off twice ever, both times were because feet of snow fell.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous 3 trailers all had slide toppers and never had an issue other than removal and cleaning....wife broke a nail when it sprung.

Our latest trailer has 2 slides without toppers so I simply keep the tops clean and the seals treated, no biggy.

I will add though, stay away from pine trees if you elect to forgo the toppers.

learntorv
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Must be a hell of a wind to get debris under a slide awning.
Way more pluses than minuses! Protects the top seal of slide out, makes slide out ceiling cooler
In summer.

Agreed. There are cons and they do sometimes flap in the wind. But we have had them on our rigs for the past 8 years (5 of which we were fulltime travelers) and never needed to bring the slides in due to it.

I wonโ€™t have an RV without slide toppers.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Must be a hell of a wind to get debris under a slide awning.
Way more pluses than minuses! Protects the top seal of slide out, makes slide out ceiling cooler
In summer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I have a motorhome with 2 slides that have awnings. I would never have any type RV without awnings on every slideout.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I never had a problem with the awning over the slide