cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Powerglide Chassis

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to upgrade to a used Allegro Bus on the Powerglide chassis in a few months. How does this Tiffin built chassis compare to Freightliner? Are parts readily available in case of a break down? How is the ride on one?? Looking for any advise on these.

Steve
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie
7 REPLIES 7

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
Looking to upgrade to a used Allegro Bus on the Powerglide chassis in a few months. How does this Tiffin built chassis compare to Freightliner? Are parts readily available in case of a break down? How is the ride on one?? Looking for any advise on these.

Steve

You'll get plenty of answers and don't know what years you're looking at, but starting around 2004 Spartan was also an option on a bus.
For exp. on the 2010 .... https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2010/Allegro
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I forgot to mention the additional advantage of a Motorhome builder making their own chassis/frame. Like Roadmaster and Alpine, Powerglide chassis/frame are built for the particular Floorplan. Freightliner and Sparten chassis are all built the same and the Motorhome builder has to adapt the box and such to that frame. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ranger Smith wrote:

Steve

The ride is great. If you have the optional Valid Hydraulic/Air leveling system control(system uses HWH and a special air bag system), the Valid ride control, can be optimized using a Laptop PC, with Tiffins consent, to control the roll and sway when making turns to prevent sway left and right. A few on my customers have had that done at Red Bay by Tiffin. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. The old Monaco built their Chassis from the ground up. But as Freightliner and Sparten did, they used standard Diesel engines from Cummins or Caterpiller. They used standard Transmissions, usually from Allison and the Drive Axles system was Dana or Eaton. The rest of the chassis was built by Roadmaster
2. Now, for Powerglide by Tiffin and exclusive to Tiffin.
3. Tiffin builds the Powerglide from the ground up. Frame and rails and all steel is built by Tiffin in Red Bay.
3. They as other do use Cummins/Allison/Dana and other brands for the running gear.
4. The reason Tiffin started Powerglide, was twofold.
A. Freightliner was having a hard time keeping up with the demand
B. Tiffin was tired of paying out of his pocket for his customers that were getting screwed by various Freightliner service centers by charging customers for warranty repairs that were actually Freightliner covered items. This was also true of Cummins warranty repairs and Allison repairs. Freightliner would ALWAYS state it was a Body Builder caused problem, hence not warranty by them.
5. The Powerglide chassis was designed by the Engineer that designed the Western(Alpine motorhome) RV Diesel Class A chassis. Once Western went under over 10 years ago, Tiffin hired that engineer to do the Powerglide. The main difference between Western chassis and Tiffin is, Western had NO AIR BRAKE system.
6. Tiffin has authorized service centers for the Powerglide chassis. The individual components,(Engine/Transmission/Rear End) will be handled by the supplying vendors, just like on a Freightliner or Sparten.
7. Most Customers swear by the Powerglide and want nothing else in a Tiffin Diesel. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ivylog wrote:
Verizon y little of any chassis is made by Tiffin, Spartan, Freightliner, or the old Monaco... REV Monacoโ€™s are on a Freightliner chassis. Drive axles are usually Dana, airbags Firestone, engines Cummins, tranny Alison. The Monaco S-10 chassis probably has more custom built items...the H frame and various bars to hold it in place.pppp

You need to research this. Your Info is WRONG. Doug

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Verizon y little of any chassis is made by Tiffin, Spartan, Freightliner, or the old Monaco... REV Monacoโ€™s are on a Freightliner chassis. Drive axles are usually Dana, airbags Firestone, engines Cummins, tranny Alison. The Monaco S-10 chassis probably has more custom built items...the H frame and various bars to hold it in place.pppp
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Since my friend is also considering this option, I look forward to any advice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad