Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: free tv
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> free tv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Perhaps I was not clear.

Do these free services work well with a cell phone wobbly wide web connection?

Do they still work when throttled?

Which ones work best?

Do you know of others that work well?

I see this as a technical question, not the philosophy that it is low cost. For that matter--you do have to buy a tv and probably an antenna to do over the air--so it ain't free either. It is a one time cost.

Depends on the "throttled" speed and what "definition" you are wanting to watch as to if ANY streaming service is going to work.

MOST cell Internet providers will throttle you down to 53kbs-128kbs once you hit your data cap, however, you do need to understand, cell signal and just how much traffic is on the towers near you can and will greatly affect the data speed you may get. Providers do have in the contract that they can throttle your data at anytime when the networks are busiest.

SD video scaled back to much less than 480i might be doable at 128kbs but it may be choppy, blocky or studder or such bad quality it will be unwatchable and HD (720, 1080 or higher) will be out of the question.

For some references on how much data is required for some of the common streaming services check out HERE

They mention Hulu as the lowest for SD video at 1.5Mbps (MEGA BYTES) which is considerbly much faster than a throttled speed of 53Kbps-128Kbps.. So I would have to say, absolutely no to streaming most services when throttled.

As far as buying a TV or antenna, yes, that is not free either since you have to buy it, but hey, neither is your cellphone, tablet, laptop, desktop or the Internet provider that is required to stream..

TV and antenna are the cheapest way to go since you have no other ongoing bills after the initial purchase other than the electric to power it.. But at least you aren't paying bunches of money per month for the data usage and if you don't use all the data you paid for you LOSE IT!

Until there is a 100% free wireless Internet with 100% all in one free streaming service, folks are only kidding themselves that streaming is cheap and is the same as cutting the cord.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Gdetrailer,

Actually my use is for an apartment type condo. I can stream Netflix successfully at 520 k/s which is the throttled speed for Bell. It does take it a while to download and then buffer.

I did switch from Sasktel which was a mistake--as their throttle speed is 2meg/s. I did it to try to save $2 per day. I can't go back to the plan I had on Sasktel, unfortunately.

I want to be able to watch some "regular" television.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Gdetrailer,

Actually my use is for an apartment type condo. I can stream Netflix successfully at 520 k/s which is the throttled speed for Bell. It does take it a while to download and then buffer.

I did switch from Sasktel which was a mistake--as their throttle speed is 2meg/s. I did it to try to save $2 per day. I can't go back to the plan I had on Sasktel, unfortunately.

I want to be able to watch some "regular" television.

Sometimes the "grass is not greener on the other side", there are always some catch to cheaper services..

We went from a 1.5mbps DSL to 300Mbps cable Internet service, cost was more but since DW must work from home and DD is taking College classes which are now all online, the speed and latency of DSL wasn't cutting it any more. DSL was grandfathered $80 per month unlimited use to now $125 per month and now we have 1.5TB data cap.

Fortunately we do not stream movies or TV programs as I am not paying for 10 separate services which range from $5 per month to as much as $40 per month.. If I did, it would cost MORE than my Dish service not including the data HD quality video would use.

If you condo allows, put up a outside OTA antenna and see what is out there..

Honestly, I find that we have plenty of stuff to watch even on our Dish, I believe we have to "Top 200" channel package. Plenty of stuff there, we make a lot of use of the DVR, recording stuff through the night then playing it back when we can't find anything redeeming to watch. Dish also often will open up some of the pay channels like Epix and all of the Movie Channel/Stars channels for a long weekend once and a while.. I set the DVR to record everything of interest on those weekends.

Do I like paying $100 a month for Dish?

No, I miss my old 12Ft C band dish providers, used to get more channels plus all paid movie stuff like HBO/CinMax/Epix/MovieChannel all for $30 per month.. The last non commercial C band programmer left the market around 2008 or so..

But alas, as time goes on, we all have to move on and pay more, it was great while it lasted..

Now I am seeing an alarming trend where a lot of the content providers are launching their own streaming services, trying to capitalize on those folks who think they are going to save bunches of money with streaming.

What happens however is some content may be available exclusively on one streamer and not on any other streamer (IE Apple has their exclusive content, Netflix has their exclusive content, Amazon has their Exclusive content, Disney has their exclusive content and so on... This now means you will be forced to subscribe to multiple streamers.. That means more little bills to pay and after a while you lose track of just how much it costs to keep your self entertained as a cord cutter. Once those streamer have you hooked, they start chipping out content creating "tier levels" which won't be available on the lowest cost Tier.

This is not unlike Sat and Cable companies with channel packages and most folks don't seem to see the potential harm in subscribing to multiple streaming services since it sounds so cheap.. All of those little bills add up fast.

The base pay streams are also limited to ONE streaming device on the account to be active so if you have a family of 4 you will pay 4 times more for that service depending on their Tier pricing.. Something else missed is most pay streamers the base price may not include HD video, if you want HD then you are going to have to pay for the Premium package cost.. Hidden costs, you must read all of the TOS terms before committing..

Content providers have found a much cheaper avenue by not having to pay for broadcast/cable/sat infrastructure when there are millions of suckers to pay for the Internet Data they will need to use for those services.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APPLE TV just did this during our current holiday season and it bit them in the butt! Apple bought the rights to the Charlie Brown holiday series so those of us who enjoy these annual traditions we CUT OUT from being able to watch The Great Pumpkin and they had planned to cut us out of the TX and Christmas shows. Next thing you know, folks ganged up on Apple (as they should have) and these shows have and will appear on PBS "courtesy of Apple TV".
Same kind of thing happened a few years back with "It's a Wonderful Life" when HBO (I think) bought the rights and us common folks did not get to see the show.
There's going to be some serious shake-outs coming down the road.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Sometimes the "grass is not greener on the other side", there are always some catch to cheaper services..

Fortunately we do not stream movies or TV programs as I am not paying for 10 separate services which range from $5 per month to as much as $40 per month.. If I did, it would cost MORE than my Dish service not including the data HD quality video would use.

You got it on the grass is greener, However, I may have found something that helps at least a bit. My cell phone throttled to 520 k/s may have been too close to the laptop.

I discovered this by accident at supper time--I was trying to up date one cell phone connecting it via wifi to the one that is throttled. NOTHING was downloading. Then I moved them farther apart, and low and behold data started to flow.

Your comment on 10 separate services is why I wanted the free ones.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pianotuna, just this weekend I hooked up the couple we camp with most to Visible cell service, which I don't think you can get. They have never streamed anything before, but were interested in it since we do stream movies. They do not have any home internet, so the cell phone is all they have.

I gave them an old Google Chromecast I had laying around. Visible limits the hotspot speed to 5 Mbps, but where they live they are lucky to get 1 Mbps. They found Tubi, which gives them a good variety of free movies with commercials. I hadn't heard of it, but it looks interesting.

With that plan the hotspot on the cell phone is limited to one connection, so I set both of their phones to work with the Chromecast. With the Chromecast, If you can watch it on your phone, you can usually "cast" it to your tv. It doesn't have anything built in (it is an older one), so you use your cell phone as a remote, and also to find something to watch.

At home, we usually use a Roku to do streaming, but we do have a Chromecast, as well as having one in the 5er. We also have the Amazon Fire stick, but do not use that. I hook it up once in a while to keep it updated, but that is it.

Just a comment on Tubi, yes it is older stuff, but not everyone is wired the same. They like to watch older movies, even ones they have seen before, so they are tickled pink to have this option that they can take with them to their 5er for the rainy days.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I do pay for wfi but nothing for any of the streaming many dozens of apps that are free to me at no additional charge except for Amazon Prime at $100.00 per year and most movies I watch are free on Prime or dirt cheap. When I had overpriced cable many years ago I was forced to watch long commercials on all movies and TV shows. My free movie apps include Crackle, FilmRise, Peacock, Pluto and many many more for a total of thousands of movies and Tv shows. I just signed up for Hulu for many many free movies and TV shows for only $1.99 per month for one year and can cancel at any time without penalty (Black Friday deal).

My At&T phone is cheap old prepaid plan with no data feature so I do not pay for hotspot or data. As a backup and mobile wifi I have a grandfathered cheap AT&T $22.00 per month Mobley mobile car hotspot that I use also at home as car is parked just outside my patio doors and also have the AC adapter for in home use. I receive a vet discount on that one.

I have old Roku and Fire stick devices that were cheap onetime purchases. To me dirt cheap is same as free. Anything else?? Cheers

* This post was edited 12/23/20 06:36am by NamMedevac 70 *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Crackle and Peacock won't work in Canada. (without the use of a vpn) And using a vpn is not quite cricket.

Do you have a url for the Reelfilm?

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted duplicate post. Cheers from Dustoff One One[emoticon]

* This post was last edited 12/23/20 05:57am by NamMedevac 70 *   View edit history

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PT
I have Pluto TV, Tubi tv, Xumo and "free cable TV" apps installed on my Lenovo android tablet

I use only cellular data, verizon phone & att netgear HOTSPOT, they all work, Pluto & tubi are the least troublesome, "free cable TV" is the one that bogs down ? The most, but it does have the most content,
All the network news channels,online news channels,
Streaming movies, TV series, comedy Central, kids shows, also carries content from Pluto and other online servers it aggregates everything
Including sports channels

Also if you are interested you can go directly to comedyCentral.com and watch free content online In your browser window, stand-up comedy, and series show content

Fans of South park can goto Www.southparkstudios.comto binge watch old and new episodes from season 1 to current season 24, all seasons have episodes for free viewing, Not all episodes are available for all seasons, but some seasons have all of them available
I think it has to do with what previous seasons are in syndication, I think episodes marked not currently available, are those playing on cable somewhere, such as comedy Central, or adult swim
PT go ahead try out the different streams you listed
Xumo is my current free favourite
My one paid service is Amazon Prime, I get video and music with my free shipping

* This post was last edited 12/23/20 05:37pm by MrWizard *   View edit history

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> free tv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.