cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Truck Buyer Needs Help

Texsinbad
Explorer
Explorer
In the process of buying a Rockwood 2205S trailer, UVW 5004# CCC 1686# for a total of 6690#. Now, I need to buy a tow vehicle—properly equipped half-ton truck.

Not being mechanically inclined, I usually buy new for the warranty, but new prices for trucks are too high for me. I doubt that I could find anything less than $37,000.

For that reason, I am looking for used in the $20,000 range, but not being a “truck” person, I am not sure where or how to look. I have looked on Craigslist, carmax and other internet sites, but not sure how to make sure that I find a truck that has the capability to tow.

For instance, how do I know what the axle ratio is?

Any comments/suggestions for a new truck buyer would be appreciated.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Texsinbad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
Salesmen at dealerships often know little about new trucks. They often know nothing about their used trucks.

It’s sad, these salespeople have nothing better to do ALL DAY, than to study their products and their competitors and most NEVER do.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Fwiw, above recommendation based on driving, being responsible for or just being around hundreds of pickups used in fleet service in construction, mostly gassers and mostly half tons.
I’ve seen what has and hasn’t broke on these trucks and generally understand the issues and conditions surrounding them.
Example, my 2016 Chevy work truck coughed up it’s transmission at 60k miles. Would think I wouldn’t recommend it? Nope not the case, it had a discernible issue from day 1 that the dealer “couldn’t diagnose”. It was TQ converter shutter. Combined with driving it like a rented mule, I accelerated that issue to failure in 60k miles. But it’s the only truck in that fleet of about 40-50 trucks from 2015-2017 that has had a transmission issue. And the others didn’t behave like mine did.
BTW the dealer still took 3 passes at the repair,lol. Then finally gave up and dropped a new trans in it.
Bad truck? Absolutely not.
Stupid dealer? Absolutely yes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Diamond c wrote:
Go to a dealership and buy a used truck. They should be able to tell you everything about it, and you might get a little warranty to boot.

That’s funny! But you might be able to recommend the best service in Tennetucky in that other thread since you live nearby...

OP, $20k, And 6000lb ish camper, look for the newest low mile pickup with the amenities you want or need from any of the big 3, honestly.
GM, make sure it’s a 5.3/6 speed. Bonus if you get a 6.2.
Ford, 2011 or newer 5.0/6 speed. Bonus if you find a 2013? or newer eco boost.
Ram, Hemi is a must but I wouldn’t consider anything older than 2014 or whenever they got the 8hp trans. Also 2 demerit point for the coil spring rear suspension, but that’s an easy fix if you find the right truck.
Since the used truck market is tight and high priced, don’t overlook HD pickups of an acceptable wheelbase and configuration. With your budget it’s about checking as many of the boxes as you can, not all the boxes. And as a bonus you’d have a truck that is more than capable.
Integrated brake controller, nice, but for under $200 you can put a great brake controller on it. It’s a 2 beer job, 3 if you’re a heavy drinker.
Want to cut cost? Finding a 2wd if that suits your needs is the greatest cost cutting measure. Next is opting for an extended cab over a crew cab if you don’t need a big back seat.
Otherwise condition, miles and repair/service history is generally more important than the badge on the grille when buying a very used vehicle in the age range you’re looking at.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Salesmen at dealerships often know little about new trucks. They often know nothing about their used trucks.

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, look at the payload sticker. The TT you are looking at has a low hitch weight (530lbs), so you will likely be good here and that's often not the case. Remember, your payload includes your passengers, gear and hitch. Check that it has the factory tow package and hopefully an integrated trailer brake. Most new trucks with tow package will likely have the brake controller, but not the case just a few years ago. For quick check on the tow package, most will have a second radiator in the grill for the transmission. Be sure to get a weight distributing hitch, may get the dealer to throw it in and hopefully set it up.
Best of luck.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
You could go buy a 2019 Chevrolet Express Van with the 6.0 engine that would easily tow the trailer. It would have around 15k miles, and 2 years of warranty. You would need to install the trailer plug and brake controller. These are usually priced in the low $20s.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond c wrote:
Go to a dealership and buy a used truck. They should be able to tell you everything about it, and you might get a little warranty to boot.

HA!
Every dealership i've ever been to, had no one that knew what was important for a good towing truck. All they know is towing capacity. They know nothing about payload capacity, rear end ratio, tow packages and so on. I must have looked at over 100 trucks when i was last shopping and every salesperson was clueless.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
All truck buyers need help. They are too expensive.
Consider an older 3/4 ton truck.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a truck with a factory hitch receiver and a 7 pin connector NOT mounted to the hitch. Look for a factory Trailer Brake Controller. That will tell you it was bought set up for towing. Rear axle ratio can be determined by the axle code on the white sticker on the driver door frame. Also it’s GVWR. Look at the yellow sticker for Load Capacity. If it’s a GM from the last few years, they actually have a tow capacity sticker!
I recommend finding a truck or two you think might work, take photos of those door stickers, and use them for some online research. The meaning of each of the codes on the white federal weight sticker can be found in the online owners manuals. There are some posts on the F150 forum on how to get the factory window sticker for a given Ford truck.
Keep in mind the more options or upper level trim series, the more you lose truck payload and with that tongue weight carrying. So be mindful of those yellow stickers.
Let us know what you find, plenty of free opinions here 😉
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond c wrote:
Go to a dealership and buy a used truck.

Not quite. Many car sales people don't know much at all about towing capacities, especially if it's a used truck that is not the dealership's brand. Case in point, a friend went to the local Ford dealer to get an F150 with the max tow rating. He drove away with a 4x4 F150 that had no OEM brake controller and a 5.0 V8. The 3.5L EcoBoost had the max tow rating that year but the sales person convinced him that "big V8 engine will tow anything".

This is not the first story on this forum about sales staff not knowing squat about tow ratings and packages.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Don't take anyone's word for max tow weight, tongue max weight or payload. Look at the sticker...take a picture of it. Study it alone...without a salesman. You'll need 900+ pounds of payload for that TT plus people and stuff in the truck IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I believe all of the half ton truck makes offer a truck that can tow that under $37k. It may not be a 4wd with all the bells and whistles though.

OP, look at the window sticker or "monroney" label as they call it. Look for things like tow package or trailer tow package and make sure it has the proper axle rating, wiring, and receiver hitch for towing. If it has a N/A(naturally aspirated) V8 or a turbocharged 6 cylinder, then it will be able to tow what you have. I would not recommend a N/A V6 or turbocharged 4 cylinder for your trailer.

The more gearing the transmissions has, the less relevant the rear axle ratio. Turbocharged engines can also get away with taller gear ratios(lower number) than N/A. For example, the 3.55 on my old turbocharged 3.5L Ecoboost work truck pulled the same loads better and had a higher tow rating than the N/A 5.0L V8 with a 3.73 I had before. In my opinion, I would not go lower than a 3.55 on a turbocharged gaser and no lower than a 3.73 on a V8 within that price range.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Look for one that has a tow package allready. That should give you some upgrades you may need plus some wireing will allready be in place for the camper.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.