cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmed 2021 RAM Cummins no CP4.2

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to share this with everyone as FCA has confirmed that there is no CP4.2 in the 2021 Cummins in the article below. Great news now just wondering if they will retrofit my 2019 Cummins to the new pump if/when the CP4.2 grenades.

https://www.hdrams.com/ram-moves-away-from-the-cp4-2-injection-pump-for-2021/

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller
28 REPLIES 28

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
EVERY motor on the road will someday need a new fuel pump.
If your pump happens to be a CP4, then that job will cost many times more than just the price of the pump. If you are out of warranty, then it could even be more than the truck is worth.

If I still owned a CP4 truck, I would seriously consider replacing the pump at a certain interval, perhaps every 80K or so. Doing it before it fails would be MUCH cheaper.

Kudos to Ram for recognizing the problem and dong something about it.
When I bought this past year, for once I did not even look at Ford and Ram,,,,because they were using the CP4. If I were in the market now, I would take a hard look at Ram.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol..... no.
CP4
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:

The fact that for 2 years Ram offered a sub par major component is almost purely coincidental yet valid for the few that understand this faux pas.

Do you mean the turbo actuators? That's been going on for more than 2 years.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I think the employee pricing is on 2020 models. For 2021 the US MSRP of the Ram Limited HO Cummins is about 4500 more than a similarly equipped Ford Platinum. In Canada the Ram has a 9k premium over Ford.

Well, $9k is still less than recovering from a CP4 disaster would cost..... 😉
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the employee pricing is on 2020 models. For 2021 the US MSRP of the Ram Limited HO Cummins is about 4500 more than a similarly equipped Ford Platinum. In Canada the Ram has a 9k premium over Ford.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MikeRP wrote:
Ram has employee pricing offered to the public right now. Plus a few other incentives adds up to $10,000 plus off the sticker even on Laramie models. Also it seems the 4th gens like mine are in big demand.

Crazy world.

Basically all trucks (and other vehicles) are fetching a premium now. Not particular to 4th Gen Rams, but for the fact that with low inventory on new and used, it’s an attraction to buyers well off enough to have just purchased a new truck in the last few (5 ish) years, to get a “decent” offer to trade up and pay a premium for a new truck.
This isn’t about who’s truck is the best, this is about marketing and Econ 101.
The fact that for 2 years Ram offered a sub par major component is almost purely coincidental yet valid for the few that understand this faux pas.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Ram has employee pricing offered to the public right now. Plus a few other incentives adds up to $10,000 plus off the sticker even on Laramie models. Also it seems the 4th gens like mine are in big demand.

Crazy world.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ Yes I’m finding a big difference one dealer to the next.
B&W Companion

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flashman wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Absolutely no doubt Ram was seeing some kind of hit to their bottom line that convinced them to go back to the CP3. The cost per failure (under warranty) was dramatically higher with the CP4. It would make sense for Ram to switch back to the CP3---even if the failure rate for the CP3 and CP4 were the same.

Now that Chevy and Ram have both walked away from the CP4, it certainly leaves Ford in an interesting marketing position---especially with these CP4 class-action lawsuits still in the pipe-line. My guess Ford's too highly invested in the CP4--their bean counters have probably determined it's better to stay the course. Maybe Ford's counting on their brand loyal diesel customers to simply choose the 7.3 gasser (vs. a Chevy or Ram) when confronted with the CP4's bad press.
Ford and GM diesels are priced about the same as a Ram gasser. I think you’d have to be very brand loyal to buy a Ram right now.
Wow what a fan boy! I bought my RAM because it is better than the competition not because it is cheaper.
We all like what we like.

However, it's interesting to note that Ram has increased their share of the US truck market from 15% to 25% over the last 10 years. It goes without saying, that Ford and Chevy (especially Chevy) saw their marketshare drop to accommodate Ram's growth.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
I’m in Canada. My Ford dealer is quoting me 10% off MSRP plus any factory incentives when the trucks land. Right now the fleet discount is 3k. Ram is quoting me MSRP. The thing that I find so surprising is that the Ram Limited I priced out has an MSRP of $105k compared to an equivalent Ford with an MSRP of $96k.
It's all supply and demand. I'd venture to guess your local dealer has extra inventory and dropped their prices to move it. A call to another Ford dealer 160km away, with little to no inventory, could net you no discount. As I mentioned earlier, when we do our nationwide (US) truck searches we typically see the same trend appear: smaller discounts with Ford, highest discounts with Ram, and Chevy in the middle.

As for why the Ram Limited has a higher MSRP than Ford, Ram has generally been regarded as the market leader in high end interior accouterments by a number of trade journals. They charge more because some feel they provide more.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m in Canada. My Ford dealer is quoting me 10% off MSRP plus any factory incentives when the trucks land. Right now the fleet discount is 3k. Ram is quoting me 20% off MSRP. The thing that I find so surprising is that the Ram Limited I priced out has an MSRP of $105k compared to an equivalent Ford with an MSRP of $96k.
B&W Companion

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
Ford and GM diesels are priced about the same as a Ram gasser. I think you’d have to be very brand loyal to buy a Ram right now.
Haven't found that to be true at all.

I've been doing a nationwide (US) search for a truck. According to Ford's website, they're currently offering $250 cashback on their HD's. Chevy and Ram have employee pricing which generally provides at least a 12-14% discount off MSRP (dealer has the option to discount even more). This generally equates to at least a $6k-$9k discount. You can buy a lot of fuel and accessories with Chevy and Ram's $6k-$9k savings vs. Ford's $250 cashback offer. BTW, employee pricing also applies to the Ram 6.4 gasser. Unfortunately, the Ram 6.4 is almost impossible to find in a higher trim level.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ In my books cheaper is better. They all do the same thing....

Edit:The CP3 is definitely a much better quality pump than the crappy CP4.2 that Ford puts on the Powerstroke and I would be willing to pay a few extra dollars for the peace of mind that would come with a CP3. On the other hand the 10 speed transmission is something that I expect to appreciate on the new Ford everyday. It is very unlikely that I will experience an injection pump failure no matter which truck I buy. At the same price I could see some choose Ford and others choose Ram or GM. At the prices I’ve been quoted I’d be a fool to buy a Ram.
B&W Companion

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Absolutely no doubt Ram was seeing some kind of hit to their bottom line that convinced them to go back to the CP3. The cost per failure (under warranty) was dramatically higher with the CP4. It would make sense for Ram to switch back to the CP3---even if the failure rate for the CP3 and CP4 were the same.

Now that Chevy and Ram have both walked away from the CP4, it certainly leaves Ford in an interesting marketing position---especially with these CP4 class-action lawsuits still in the pipe-line. My guess Ford's too highly invested in the CP4--their bean counters have probably determined it's better to stay the course. Maybe Ford's counting on their brand loyal diesel customers to simply choose the 7.3 gasser (vs. a Chevy or Ram) when confronted with the CP4's bad press.

Wow what a fan boy! I bought my RAM because it is better than the competition not because it is cheaper.