Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Confirmed 2021 RAM Cummins no CP4.2
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Confirmed 2021 RAM Cummins no CP4.2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not a smart man but current power numbers don’t tax a stock CP3 one but. So let er rip tater chip.
No one has a problem making emissions compliant tunes now on cp3 trucks.
Good move even if it’s not a future proof answer.
Aftermarket guys just lost an opportunity....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just today I received another quote on a 2021 Ram Limited. Looks like I’ll be going ahead with the 2021 Ford Platinum I’ve got on order.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A buddy of mine who works for drilling company that works through out the West has had a huge amount of problems with their Ram diesels. His '20 with 30K miles lost the injection pump, he was stranded in BFE Nevada. Took weeks to get the truck fixed. The dealer was a big help and he got a loaner pickup days into it to get going again. He is a Ram guy himself and owns one, but is personally done with them. Company cant get anything else except Rams right now, so they continue to buy them. With this change, that should make things right again for them.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Absolutely no doubt Ram was seeing some kind of hit to their bottom line that convinced them to go back to the CP3. The cost per failure (under warranty) was dramatically higher with the CP4. It would make sense for Ram to switch back to the CP3---even if the failure rate for the CP3 and CP4 were the same.

Now that Chevy and Ram have both walked away from the CP4, it certainly leaves Ford in an interesting marketing position---especially with these CP4 class-action lawsuits still in the pipe-line. My guess Ford's too highly invested in the CP4--their bean counters have probably determined it's better to stay the course. Maybe Ford's counting on their brand loyal diesel customers to simply choose the 7.3 gasser (vs. a Chevy or Ram) when confronted with the CP4's bad press.

Ford and GM diesels are priced about the same as a Ram gasser. I think you’d have to be very brand loyal to buy a Ram right now.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Absolutely no doubt Ram was seeing some kind of hit to their bottom line that convinced them to go back to the CP3. The cost per failure (under warranty) was dramatically higher with the CP4. It would make sense for Ram to switch back to the CP3---even if the failure rate for the CP3 and CP4 were the same.

OR

Cummins woke up out of a CP4.2 night out on the town stupor! These engine go in more than just RAM trucks.

Phone at Cummins rings with RAM on the line. Before RAM can say a word, Cummins says "Yeah we know we screwed the pooch, we are already moving back to the CP3 pump".

RAM says, what about all the 2019's and 2020's we sold. Cummins says, we will get back to you on that matter, after legal talks to Bosch.

Kind of funny that all us "Ram Boys" could see this coming from a mile away and they did it anyway.

* This post was edited 12/24/20 06:16am by Me Again *

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it!

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

otrfun wrote:

Now that Chevy and Ram have both walked away from the CP4, it certainly leaves Ford in an interesting marketing position---especially with these CP4 class-action lawsuits still in the pipe-line. My guess Ford's too highly invested in the CP4--their bean counters have probably determined it's better to stay the course. Maybe Ford's counting on their brand loyal diesel customers to simply choose the 7.3 gasser (vs. a Chevy or Ram) when confronted with the CP4's bad press.

Ford and GM diesels are priced about the same as a Ram gasser. I think you’d have to be very brand loyal to buy a Ram right now.

Wow what a fan boy! I bought my RAM because it is better than the competition not because it is cheaper.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ In my books cheaper is better. They all do the same thing....

Edit:The CP3 is definitely a much better quality pump than the crappy CP4.2 that Ford puts on the Powerstroke and I would be willing to pay a few extra dollars for the peace of mind that would come with a CP3. On the other hand the 10 speed transmission is something that I expect to appreciate on the new Ford everyday. It is very unlikely that I will experience an injection pump failure no matter which truck I buy. At the same price I could see some choose Ford and others choose Ram or GM. At the prices I’ve been quoted I’d be a fool to buy a Ram.

* This post was edited 12/24/20 07:20am by 4x4ord *

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Haven't found that to be true at all.

I've been doing a nationwide (US) search for a truck. According to Ford's website, they're currently offering $250 cashback on their HD's. Chevy and Ram have employee pricing which generally provides at least a 12-14% discount off MSRP (dealer has the option to discount even more). This generally equates to at least a $6k-$9k discount. You can buy a lot of fuel and accessories with Chevy and Ram's $6k-$9k savings vs. Ford's $250 cashback offer. BTW, employee pricing also applies to the Ram 6.4 gasser. Unfortunately, the Ram 6.4 is almost impossible to find in a higher trim level.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m in Canada. My Ford dealer is quoting me 10% off MSRP plus any factory incentives when the trucks land. Right now the fleet discount is 3k. Ram is quoting me 20% off MSRP. The thing that I find so surprising is that the Ram Limited I priced out has an MSRP of $105k compared to an equivalent Ford with an MSRP of $96k.

* This post was edited 12/24/20 09:03am by 4x4ord *

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I’m in Canada. My Ford dealer is quoting me 10% off MSRP plus any factory incentives when the trucks land. Right now the fleet discount is 3k. Ram is quoting me MSRP. The thing that I find so surprising is that the Ram Limited I priced out has an MSRP of $105k compared to an equivalent Ford with an MSRP of $96k.
It's all supply and demand. I'd venture to guess your local dealer has extra inventory and dropped their prices to move it. A call to another Ford dealer 160km away, with little to no inventory, could net you no discount. As I mentioned earlier, when we do our nationwide (US) truck searches we typically see the same trend appear: smaller discounts with Ford, highest discounts with Ram, and Chevy in the middle.

As for why the Ram Limited has a higher MSRP than Ford, Ram has generally been regarded as the market leader in high end interior accouterments by a number of trade journals. They charge more because some feel they provide more.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Confirmed 2021 RAM Cummins no CP4.2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.