Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Here's my work truck. When it comes to hauling loads longer is better and so are DRW. I don't know how anyone could argue that.

An extended cab, a 4-dr and a dually would handle my camper better than my regular cab SRW does. Probably a lot better, especially a dually.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

stevem94080

san fran bay area

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta
thanks for the pic and info, it will help me make my choice.

VTLee

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had the same camper on a regular cab and an extended cab. Both trucks long bed F-250 with camper package. Extended cab was better on highway (wind, semi trailers) but the off road and turning radius better on regular cab.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Anybody that has spent any time in the trucking industry will tell you that a longer wheelbase will let you have a higher GVW, without overloading the rear axles.

On a straight truck that would that would only happen if the cog of the load is in front of the rear axle . Usually minimal if at all with a TC .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Anybody that has spent any time in the trucking industry will tell you that a longer wheelbase will let you have a higher GVW, without overloading the rear axles.

On a straight truck that would that would only happen if the cog of the load is in front of the rear axle . Usually minimal if at all with a TC .

The longer wheelbase makes it possible to move the COG forward.
Pickup bed is normally centered over the rear axle. To load a pickup to GVWR the product must be pretty dense. And even if the load is centered over the drive, moving the steering forward will make weight on front remain more constant as the rear hits road bumps, so handle better.
When I posted it was a reply to somebody saying shorter would put more weight on front.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Pickup bed is normally centered over the rear axle. To load a pickup to GVWR the product must be pretty dense. And even if the load is centered over the drive, moving the steering forward will make weight on front remain more constant as the rear hits road bumps, so handle better..

TCs don’t have movable COGs. You get what the factory builds. The pickup bed is never centered above the rear axle on purpose by factory but can happen on really short bed trucks. Most pickups with TCs are near or over GVWR.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say even if the load is centered over the drive.

I think you are confusing that long big trucks are built to have higher GVWR when they make them longer with pickups that don’t. You can go look at the GVWR charts for any pickups to see this fact. Likewise, the most payload for trucks can always be found with the regular cabs compared to crew cabs. Again, you simply need to look at the charts.

Pickups typically have exactly the same rear axle/front axle/transmission no matter which cab they have. They don’t change the brakes etc just because you have a longer cab.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Longer wheel base isn’t mutually exclusive to higher gvw. Talking big trucks here.
It’s actually not much of a factor for the truck itself. However it can be licensed higher based on highway and bridge laws.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Pickup bed is normally centered over the rear axle. To load a pickup to GVWR the product must be pretty dense. And even if the load is centered over the drive, moving the steering forward will make weight on front remain more constant as the rear hits road bumps, so handle better..

TCs don’t have movable COGs. You get what the factory builds.

Yes, the COG is not moveable, given the limited places to put weight, and the limited amount of weight that can be added. OTOH, when shopping for camper/truck, you should be aware of where that COG will ride in the bed.

Quote:

The pickup bed is never centered above the rear axle on purpose by factory but can happen on really short bed trucks. Most pickups with TCs are near or over GVWR.

If you compare length ratio front of bed-axle/axle-back of bed on a pickup bed to most truck beds, it is centered.

Quote:

I’m not sure what you mean when you say even if the load is centered over the drive.

If the COG of a load is over the rear axle of the of the pickup, increasing the weight of the load will not change the weight of front axle. A shorter wheelbase, having a smaller percentage the GW on the front will affect handling more than the same changes on a longer wheelbase. Of course, if you must have a pickup, to get the long wheelbase you also get the extra heavy cab.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.