Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
stevem94080

san fran bay area

New Member

Joined: 10/04/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,
I have been hauling a 2001 Lance 10 foot cabover camper on my 2001 chevy 2500hd 4x4 duramax ext cab longbed for 13 years.
Truck and camper are still in great condition and the truck handles the weight of the camper just fine.
I'm looking to buy a new truck just because my truck is 20 years old.
I am looking at 2021 chevy 3500hd srw 4x4 reg cab truck.
Question is, will the reg cab with the shorter wheelbase handle the mass of the camper as well as the ext cab longbed ?

Thanks,SM.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely. Anything minor that you may give up due to wheelbase, likely nothing, will be made up by having a chassis that is not only brand new but 20 year newer chassis.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth, reg cab with shorter wheel base will make for a lighter truck weight, giving over more carrying capacity. I'm going from a 98 GMC ext cab, long bed to a F350 crew cab, long bed dually. I just can't see going reg cab. Extra storage, extra passenger room, bit more daylight/open sky out the windshield (cab over isn't hanging out as far past the cab roof), more seat adjustment room.

I'm sure there are others that are more familiar with vehicle driving dynamics then I, but for 'handling the mass as well as' likely longer is better.

Be a question if you would notice it enough. Add to that, like me, we're switching to a whole different experience getting into a new truck vs a 20+ yr old one. He11, just climbing in at the lot was mind boggling! LOL!!!!


"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.


MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevem94080 wrote:

Hi all,
I have been hauling a 2001 Lance 10 foot cabover camper on my 2001 chevy 2500hd 4x4 duramax ext cab longbed for 13 years.
Truck and camper are still in great condition and the truck handles the weight of the camper just fine.
I'm looking to buy a new truck just because my truck is 20 years old.
I am looking at 2021 chevy 3500hd srw 4x4 reg cab truck.
Question is, will the reg cab with the shorter wheelbase handle the mass of the camper as well as the ext cab longbed ?

Thanks,SM.


If your plans are to keeping using the Lance cabover camper, go with the extended cab and dually wheels. Greater weight capacity, more stable , more space for added comfort and storage,

jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 12/23/20 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, a shorter wheelbase truck will carry a TC as well as a longer wheelbase truck. It will have the affect of moving weight closer to the front wheels. How much weight that actually makes it to the front wheels depends on the TC.

My issue with TCs designed for longer cabs is the radio antenna hits the cabover. There a few remedies. When I had my SuperCab, I switched to a shorter radio antenna mast that was available at American Muscle.

Also, you should measure to ensure the TC will clear the new truck cab, fit through the wheel wells, and you might have to deal with a curved bed. All are possible to workaround and don’t have anything to do with which cab you pick.


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


stevem94080

san fran bay area

New Member

Joined: 10/04/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 12:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert the Welder wrote:

For what it's worth, reg cab with shorter wheel base will make for a lighter truck weight, giving over more carrying capacity. I'm going from a 98 GMC ext cab, long bed to a F350 crew cab, long bed dually. I just can't see going reg cab. Extra storage, extra passenger room, bit more daylight/open sky out the windshield (cab over isn't hanging out as far past the cab roof), more seat adjustment room.

I'm sure there are others that are more familiar with vehicle driving dynamics then I, but for 'handling the mass as well as' likely longer is better.

Be a question if you would notice it enough. Add to that, like me, we're switching to a whole different experience getting into a new truck vs a 20+ yr old one. He11, just climbing in at the lot was mind boggling! LOL!!!!


Thank you for the reply, yes the new trucks are much taller and do require some extra effort to jump into the cab. [emoticon]

hedgehopper

Denver

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/24/20 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This doesn't address the OPs question. But I would want a dually for anything but the lightest popup -- not for weight-carrying ability but for stability.

stevem94080

san fran bay area

New Member

Joined: 10/04/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

stevem94080 wrote:

Hi all,
I have been hauling a 2001 Lance 10 foot cabover camper on my 2001 chevy 2500hd 4x4 duramax ext cab longbed for 13 years.
Truck and camper are still in great condition and the truck handles the weight of the camper just fine.
I'm looking to buy a new truck just because my truck is 20 years old.
I am looking at 2021 chevy 3500hd srw 4x4 reg cab truck.
Question is, will the reg cab with the shorter wheelbase handle the mass of the camper as well as the ext cab longbed ?

Thanks,SM.


If your plans are to keeping using the Lance cabover camper, go with the extended cab and dually wheels. Greater weight capacity, more stable , more space for added comfort and storage,


Thanks, dual rear wheel will not work for me though.

stevem94080

san fran bay area

New Member

Joined: 10/04/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/24/20 01:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Yes, a shorter wheelbase truck will carry a TC as well as a longer wheelbase truck. It will have the affect of moving weight closer to the front wheels. How much weight that actually makes it to the front wheels depends on the TC.

My issue with TCs designed for longer cabs is the radio antenna hits the cabover. There a few remedies. When I had my SuperCab, I switched to a shorter radio antenna mast that was available at American Muscle.

Also, you should measure to ensure the TC will clear the new truck cab, fit through the wheel wells, and you might have to deal with a curved bed. All are possible to workaround and don’t have anything to do with which cab you pick.


Thanks, I will for sure measure before I purchase a new truck.

hedgehopper

Denver

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/24/20 01:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevem94080 wrote:

Thanks, dual rear wheel will not work for me though.
I'm curious. Why not?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.