Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: determining pay load capacity
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> determining pay load capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
noonenosthis1

northern california

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck does have commercial tags on it. However, this is no weight listed on the registration renewal notice. California just wants the money.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So grabbed this off the Keystone forum, Chuckster who is a Site Team member. It appears that CHP is scaling rigs and if overweight or don’t have the correct endorsement on their DL.

chuckster57;426187 wrote:

I know of two people here in Cal that had their trips ended by that scenario. Pismo beach is a popular recreation destination and CHP likes to weigh people. One pound over and you can have your rig impounded, pay storage fees until you bring a “capable” tow vehicle. I have seen the truck pull rigs over, so it can happen “on the road” not just the scales.

Also had a customer have his fiver taken when he couldn’t produce his “travel trailer” endorsement on his license.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

My state will not weigh a non commercial vehicle for a gross weight to see if your over that states registered weight period. Just axle/tire load numbers.
What my and other states recognize is the truck is registered legally by that state. Its legal registered to be driven every where.
Your weighted registration papers with lets say a 18000 gvw number doesn't mean jack shitz in my state.
Some members from the north east have said their state registers their trucks at a gcw.

Seem odd you guys can'y wrap your head around the fact not all state use a gvw number like your state, just to register a non commercial LDT.
If a state doesn't use any type of weight for registering a non commercial truck what type of weight numbers are used to determine a overloaded vehicle.

I'm still not certain what you are trying to say. It sounded like your initial statement was that the registered weight is only legal in the state in which it is registered. That is not true. If I am legal to 10,000lbs in Maryland, I'm legal to 10,000 lbs in any other state.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say in the message I quoted above. It sounds like you are arguing that not all states register a weight. I'm not sure how that is relevant to a state to does register a weight.

Either way, if you are legally registered in Oklahoma, you are legally registered in Maryland by way of reciprocity.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

noonenosthis1

northern california

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also had a customer have his fiver taken when he couldn’t produce his “travel trailer” endorsement on his license.

I live in California. My husband is a retired truck driver. I don't know what happened to this guy but there is no such thing as travel trailer endorsement on a drivers license.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noonenosthis1 wrote:

I live in California. My husband is a retired truck driver. I don't know what happened to this guy but there is no such thing as travel trailer endorsement on a drivers license.

In California there is TT over 10,000# and 5er over 15,000# requires endorsement and driving test.

* This post was edited 12/26/20 07:40pm by rhagfo *

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon wrote:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say in the message I quoted above. It sounds like you are arguing that not all states register a weight. I'm not sure how that is relevant to a state to does register a weight.

I can tell your confused. My state doesn't use a gvwr or gvw or gcw or tonnage or any weight number for registration .
Taxes are paid in the registering state any way so my state just weighs axle/tire load numbers unless its a commercial vehicle.
Like I said your registered gvwr doesn't mean krapz here or other states that don't use a gvw/gvwr.

Now... what my point is some keep saying all a the OP has to do is register at a higher GVWR which of course isn't true for all states.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Jimlin, read what you’re writing once the Christmas egg nog wears off.
You’re basically arguing with yourself.
However explain what tire/axle loads your state weighs. Looks like all non com trucks and RVs are lumped in together , not weight specific.
And in a lot of years, a lot of states and even more trucks, I’ve never seen one actually weighed for registration purposes, nor a requirement to do so. Not sure if it happens anywhere but if it did , it wouldn’t serve any purpose.
But this isn’t what the thread is about anyways. OP has a 10klb Cali 1 ton and asked what the payload is and it IS considerably more than the sticker on the door.
So the rest of the silly arguments are just fodder.
No one cares why the registration process is different in Oklahoma compared anywhere else.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

I can tell your confused. My state doesn't use a gvwr or gvw or gcw or tonnage or any weight number for registration .
Taxes are paid in the registering state any way so my state just weighs axle/tire load numbers unless its a commercial vehicle.
Like I said your registered gvwr doesn't mean krapz here or other states that don't use a gvw/gvwr.

Now... what my point is some keep saying all a the OP has to do is register at a higher GVWR which of course isn't true for all states.

I understand my confusion now. I'm responding to the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered. I provided guidance to the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered. My answer was valid to the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered.

You, on the other hand, gave an answer that isn't relevant to the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered. Then you got very snarky because you live in a state that doesn't weigh vehicles, unlike the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered.

Sorry to get in the way of your thread de-railing and unnecessary attitude. It was quite rude on my part.

OP, I'm sorry for giving you advice based upon your situation in the thread that you started to ask for guidance in your situation, who lives in California, where weights are registered...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Like button.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

I understand my confusion now. I'm responding to the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered. I provided guidance to the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered. My answer was valid to the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered.

You, on the other hand, gave an answer that isn't relevant to the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered. Then you got very snarky because you live in a state that doesn't weigh vehicles, unlike the OP, who lives in California, where weights are registered.

Sorry to get in the way of your thread de-railing and unnecessary attitude. It was quite rude on my part.

OP, I'm sorry for giving you advice based upon your situation in the thread that you started to ask for guidance in your situation, who lives in California, where weights are registered...

Yes, in this case the OP bought an F350 thinking he could get a good sized 5er. With the 10,000# GVWR, if he is stopped and weighed in California and is over 10,000, he gets to leave his trailer on the side of the road, until he can get a big enough TV to be within weight.
They have been caught up in the games Ford plays with GVWR for registration purposes. It sounds like CHP is starting to weigh RV’s and if in excess of GVWR, you must leave the trailer until a TV with sufficient GVWR can be brought to tow it away. There are also monetary fines.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> determining pay load capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.