Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Steering wheel vibration
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Steering wheel vibration

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
wjschill

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a video of a test drive on a 2015 F/W Bounder, and noticed the steering wheel had quite a bit of vibration traveling down a smooth highway.

I have also heard that this is normal on the F53 frames for the class A gassers. Some even say that this vibration contributes to driver fatigue after about 4 to 5 hours on the road.

So, my question is...Is this normal for the F53's and is it really an issue?

We are still looking for a (used) class A, but for a few trips each year, I really can't justify the extra $$$'s for a diesel pusher. Not to mention, most are forty feet long, and not a great fit for state park camping.

Thanks....Skip

KillingTime

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many things that can cause a steering wheel vibration. I doubt that it is common with ALL F53 chassis RV's. Wheel out of round, wheel out of balance, loose wheel bearing, bad shock, loose/worn suspension components, alignment, loose steering box, etc.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

There are many things that can cause a steering wheel vibration. I doubt that it is common with ALL F53 chassis RV's. Wheel out of round, wheel out of balance, loose wheel bearing, bad shock, loose/worn suspension components, alignment, loose steering box, etc.

+1. we’re on our second F53. no steering whl vibration on either.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

haste maker

alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2007 Ford chassis & have no steering wheel vibration. I have installed Centramatics on all 4 wheels. May want to look into them.

Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the steering wheel is shaking it's due to a shifted belt in a tire and /or an out of balance tire or a bent wheel. My 2012 has no vibration. If they are maintained properly they will not have issues.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a coach built on an F-53 chassis. Never any vibration and handled as good as my Freightliner. Whoever is telling you they all vibrate, probably never drove one.

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wjschill wrote:

I saw a video of a test drive on a 2015 F/W Bounder, and noticed the steering wheel had quite a bit of vibration traveling down a smooth highway.

I have also heard that this is normal on the F53 frames for the class A gassers. Some even say that this vibration contributes to driver fatigue after about 4 to 5 hours on the road.

So, my question is...Is this normal for the F53's and is it really an issue?

Thanks....Skip

NO! If properly weighted/adjusted/balanced/serviced/repaired your F53 will ride smooth as glass. (mine does) If you have issues,. . . . well, see above.

Chum lee

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our current F53 had a slight speed sensitive steering vibration when I test drove it before buying. While checking out the tire dates, I also saw marks where a wheel weight had been lost on one wheel. When I mentioned the vibration to the seller he knocked $500 off the price. After we bought the rig, I pulled the rest of the weights and added balancing beads instead. Haven't had a steering vibration since...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, always insisted that a vibrating steering wheel on any vehicle required immediate investigation, and if you HAD to drive it in to the shop, do so no faster than 30 mph, because some of the possible causes could result in a wheel falling off.

Besides those causes mentioned above, add ball joints about to separate and loose/broken lug nuts.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, always insisted that a vibrating steering wheel on any vehicle required immediate investigation, and if you HAD to drive it in to the shop, do so no faster than 30 mph, because some of the possible causes could result in a wheel falling off.
Besides those causes mentioned above, add ball joints about to separate and loose/broken lug nuts.

while that might not be the case all the time it did happen to me one day in the summer of 2019. i was returning home from an errand in our '46 Willys CJ2A. each time i slowed or stopped i felt a vibration from the right front. it didn't happen while accelerating but rather than head home i went to the garage that does all my work. the service mgr is a buddy so he hopped in and we took a drive around the block to show him what was happening. as i slowed to turn back into the shop's driiveway, this happened...

[image]

the resulting force nearly tossed us out of the vehicle. we were able to hang on only because we were doing < 5mph. had i not diverted to the garage it might have happened while i was running ~40mph and i might not have been able to hang on.

oh...the problem was a broken cotter pin, likely original to the vehicle. i had them all replaced and iinspected each year.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Steering wheel vibration
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.