Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carsick dog

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Dr. Doug,

I’m going to be bringing my granddog home with me for a week. She gets carsick. What can I use for her? I won’t feed her before. It’s a 2-hour drive.
She’s a golden doodle. 55 lbs.

Thanks!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
12 REPLIES 12

dturm
Glad things worked out!!
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I didn't feed her before I left and gave her dramamine about 30 minutes before we left. She did fine and had no ill effects.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing you can do is stop more frequently at rest areas so she can sniff around and get some fresh air.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for all your suggestions. I plan to walk her a time or two on the way. Hoping we have minimal problems.

DAle
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a fresh newspaper, fresher the better. Lay it out under a blanket for him to lay on. The smell of the ink will keep him from getting sick. Our daughter would get car sick and this is what our doctor suggested, it works. We had a dog that would get sick, so we tried it with him, he no longer got sick and actually looked forward to going for a ride.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

dturm
colliehauler wrote:
My Collies have logged literally thousands of miles in my truck. There usually asleep by the time I hit the interstate. They wake up when I slow down for a town and look out the windows then back to sleep. Sawyer's first ride was 3500 miles long at 12 weeks old. Sasha's first ride was only about 500 miles at 12 weeks old. Just try to leave them at home, they love to go for a ride.

Our Sasha's first ride was 5482 miles (according to mapquest) from Istanbul Turkey to Chicago. :B She has no problem with travel.

On the other hand, Kayley get so anxious that she frequently has problems. We have done prescription Cerenia that works better than any other medication or treatment we have used, but with years of travel in the motorhome she seldom needs anything anymore.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
My Collies have logged literally thousands of miles in my truck. There usually asleep by the time I hit the interstate. They wake up when I slow down for a town and look out the windows then back to sleep. Sawyer's first ride was 3500 miles long at 12 weeks old. Sasha's first ride was only about 500 miles at 12 weeks old. Just try to leave them at home, they love to go for a ride.

wra
Explorer
Explorer
Try letting the dog sit where it can see out the windows. People get car sick because their balance detectors in their head gets different signals from their eyes. (they look what is happening inside the car rather than outside.) I would imagine dogs would have the same problem.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Our 9 yr old Pom gets car sick and we tried all the meds the Vet prescribed along with home remedies with no avail. She knows when we're headed for camping then she hides.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
My 14 year old plott still gets carsick. Motion sickness pills and no feeding before starting works great. He curls up behind the driver seat and stays there unless truck stops.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

dturm
There are prescription meds, but dramamine works in some - same dose as a child. Also, benadryl can also work - 25 mg.

Good idea to not feed before trip :B
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Most of our dogs got car sick when we first took them RVing - they all got over it quickly. If your driving a car then you might try leaving the windows open so they can hang their heads out. Another possible alternative is multiple stops until they adjust.
Kevin