Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cannot open grey or black tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Cannot open grey or black tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

samsontdog wrote:

Thank you all, I will pass the info on.

The first person I called yesterday was a plumber who tried for an hour which I paid for.

He tried drilling a hole etc.

The caps were off. I really feel sorry for the lady plus she has broken ribs,
no transportation, very little money, and Christmas time. My wife called Helping Hands but they are off until Jan 4th

I can't help you, but I would like to thank you for your generosity in paying for the plumber.
We need more people in the world like you !

If all else fails and it was mine, I guess I would have to take the valve apart -very slowly with rubber gloves, a bucket and lots of water to rinse with.

Good luck

Guy

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With both valves not opening.... That is very unusual to have both stick at the same time... I think there may be another reason than the valves themselves. Can you post up some pics?

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
1020 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any idea how much stuff is in the tanks? I might suggest pumping out the black tank through the toilet to get most of the stuff out. If there is any way to pump out the gray tank, try to empty that through a sink drain somehow.

Then your valves should be screwed on to the pipes. I would put a big Rubbermaid container under the pipes and remove the valves completely. See if you can fix them or else just replace them. If you're able to pump most of the stuff out through toilet and sink drains, there shouldn't be too much spilling out.

Best of luck. Situations like this are tough, which is why I cringe when I see people trying to use campers to "save money". Unless you park it someplace cheap and can fix things yourself, they are going to consistently cost money. Hate to see people live beyond their means when the luck runs out. Hopefully you can find a way to fix this situation for her in the short term.

Merry Christmas.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the RV park manager figures she can’t dump, she’s a goner. Or that she has no insurance. One way or the other suck it all out and replace.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First question: What's the recent weather? If it's been well below freezing, it could simply be that they are frozen. If that's the case, once it's warmed up, they should work again.

As someone else mentioned, it's odd that both failed simultaneously. Really with the remote valves, you have to open up the bottom to get at them. Sometimes, they will have a cover you can remove to get at them. Once you get at them, it's pretty straight forward to unbolt and not to expensive to replace...it is a messy nasty job...particularly if the tanks are full.

Not that it helps but I really dislike the remote valves for just this reason. Much better to have everything right there where you can get at it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the valves are cable operated I don't know of any way without exposing the valves.

If they are just a straight rod, if you can get a pair of channel locks around the rod and turn it back and forth as someone pulls on the handle it might open. Depends if it is stuck at the valve or there is some corrosion on the rod and handle.

Good luck, wish we could help more.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When this issue is solved and the lady recovers some ask her about roof maintenance, tire inflation and age, fresh water tank sanitation etc. I’m betting she doesn’t do anything.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all else fails then gain access to the valves and then consider:

1. A catch basin etc under the valves.
2. Loosen the bolts and let it drain.
3. If the gate valve slide can be reached with a long drill from the outflow pipe then drill a hole in it to drain. After drilling reattach drain hose.
4. Cut off the outflow pipe and proceed as above.
5. Drill a hole through the outflow pipe and through the valve so that it can drain through the hose. Cover the pipe hole with Gorilla Tape ASAP.
6. Repair/replace as required for the above.

Needless to say all of the above has to be done in a clean and sanitary way. And there can certainly be time and cost involved.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

First question: What's the recent weather? If it's been well below freezing, it could simply be that they are frozen. If that's the case, once it's warmed up, they should work again.

As someone else mentioned, it's odd that both failed simultaneously. Really with the remote valves, you have to open up the bottom to get at them. Sometimes, they will have a cover you can remove to get at them. Once you get at them, it's pretty straight forward to unbolt and not to expensive to replace...it is a messy nasty job...particularly if the tanks are full.

Not that it helps but I really dislike the remote valves for just this reason. Much better to have everything right there where you can get at it.

The Travel Trailer is and has been in Yuma Az for the last 6 months
in storage. The plumber cut a large section of sheet metal trying to get to the valves and gave up and said to call a RV Place that works on RVs. So that is what she is against at this time. I am out of the picture as I am just the owner of the property that she is renting

samsontdog">">

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/20 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you Op for working so hard to help out someone so needful
Now you mention the unit has been unused, parked in a Yuma summer for 6 months, an idea comes to mind. could it be that it has dry solids blockage on the tank side of the valves? Soaking for some time might be enough to soften the dried waste and loosen them, A power jet from the load side should speed that up if one could guide the pressure washer to the load side of the valves.
Many times when I owned our camp we used our wacker honey wagon to suck out contents of waste tanks through the toilet , a roof vent or sink after trap.apapted down to a 1" hose We also used it this way to break up the dreaded Poop pyramid. What the vacuum pump sucked out and cleared the blockage was always young girls clothing.
as both dump valves are stuck with the unit unused for a long time, it looks to me to be a dryed out waste issue that may release given some time.
Marry christmas to all!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Cannot open grey or black tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.