cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to turn on 2001 Four winds heat

dradeng
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having trouble figuring out how to turn on the heat to my 2001 four winds rv. I have the propane filled up and the thermostat set to a temperature. I feel like I'm missing a switch somewhere to turn on but can't find it.
14 REPLIES 14

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is a given that the battery(ies) need to be charged in some manner.
Battery disconnect must be on to charge.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
dradeng wrote:
turned out to be the battery disconnect switch was turned off. Thanks all for the help!!
Still seems odd that you only had heat when running the generator. This would happen if the battery was dead or disconnected and the converter that supplies 12 volt power was only powered by the generator.

Battery on or off the heat should still work if plugged in.

I am afraid you might be running just on battery power. That is fine until the battery is dead. Check the voltage on the battery now so you don't lose power in the night. 13.2+ volts you are fine, 12.6 or lower and your time is limited.

Saaaay wut?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, either way time on battery is limited. Be prepared to run the generator.
Could be sooner than later unless the battery(s) were fully 100% charged.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I did not see where OP was connected to shore power. Starting genset provides 12 volts DC through converter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dradeng wrote:
turned out to be the battery disconnect switch was turned off. Thanks all for the help!!
Still seems odd that you only had heat when running the generator. This would happen if the battery was dead or disconnected and the converter that supplies 12 volt power was only powered by the generator.

Battery on or off the heat should still work if plugged in.

I am afraid you might be running just on battery power. That is fine until the battery is dead. Check the voltage on the battery now so you don't lose power in the night. 13.2+ volts you are fine, 12.6 or lower and your time is limited.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!
Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dradeng
Explorer
Explorer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is not normal!
Refer should be set on "auto" so it will switch from different sources.
Do you have a battery disconnect? It should be "ON".

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dradeng wrote:
I got it to work but it only works when the generator is on. Is that normal? The fridge also only keeps cool when the generator is running. I used to have a 2013 four winds and the fridge/heat would run without the generator.
Are you getting power from the pedestal? Check voltage on the main breaker(s) in the RV breaker panel.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Furnace should definitely work on 12v and so should the fridge. Are the lights much brighter with the generator running? Sounds like maybe the battery is too weak to run the furnace.

dradeng
Explorer
Explorer
I got it to work but it only works when the generator is on. Is that normal? The fridge also only keeps cool when the generator is running. I used to have a 2013 four winds and the fridge/heat would run without the generator.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes check all sides of the thermostat for an On Off button. Also does the furnace have power? Does the overhead lights or the bathroom fan work?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Using the stove not only gets propane that far, it confirms propane is flowing. Could be a regulator issue.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look for a switch on the bottom of the thermostat. Depending on thermostat it should be in "heat".
Does the fan start up? If it does, it may take several cycles to clear air from line being replaced by propane.
Is the propane on? Operate stove top to insure you have good propane flow.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow