Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Questions About People's Knowledge Of Various Issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Questions About People's Knowledge Of Various Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP wants to go from a pop-up to a 30 foot class A so no matter which floor plan he chooses, he will still end up with a lot more space.

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RENT and check out the different motorized RVs

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/20 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dougrainer gave you great advice! I have had 3 class C and 2 class A motorhomes. I liked all of them but like Doug said a class C usually has more sleeping room, in fact the smallest one we had slept the most people. Our class A has a rear bed but in the front you have to fold out the couch and make up the dinette to sleep 3 more people. I would not want to have to do that every night. If you carefully examine the over cab area for damage on a Class C and get a solid one just be careful to keep everything sealed and if you have indoor storage, I would not be afraid of one. I really didn't notice much difference in how they drive.

* This post was edited 02/08/21 09:33pm by olfarmer *

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 04:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Sadly the 8.1L Vortec is no longer made but I can tell you it is a fine engine. When you ask who makes the better engine Chevy or Ford you start a religious argument but when you ask who makes the better Transmission. EVEN FORD admits it is Allison (I kid you not though they do advertise their latest as "The answer to Allison", an admission Allisons are very good) I drove one for 15 years before a Semi totaled it while I was parked.

One thing you will quickly find
that 40' Bus was 8' wide
Your motor home is one of only two vehicles allowed on freeways that is over 8' wide with a permit (it's 8 1/2) I also drove (once) a Flat Bed Tow Truck (the other one) that extra six inches is "BIG". But it should not take you more than a day or two or a Trip or two to "Adjust"

I enjoyed my time driving my WorkHorse... But like I said a semi did just enough damage to total it... and I'm at a point in my life where I was starting to worry for medical reasons so the timing on that, I do not think it was an accident, was fantastic.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having owned a pop up and a TT now i would go the van route forst. You have 5 people and a dog. So you need beds for everyone. I would look into a double bunkhouse TT. I dont see you having the room in a motor home. The van will give you room for the familly and the dog. The TT will have enough room for everyone, but will still be cramped. Less so the the pup, but you do have a lot of people. The van can also be used when your not camping. So thats a plus. Your not taking the class a to do the weekly geocery store runs! Just what i would do. Its your money. But tbh i think some of TT are more suited to a larger familly then the mid size/ smaller class a.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with the full size van and travel trailer group. Class A's are getting more and more family friendly but you'll get much more bang for the buck going the other route. Could even take it one step further if your budget will support and go with a conversion van which will make the ride even more comfortable. Stepping back 20 years, no slide, GM powered, minimal delamination and sleeping five comfortably is getting close to unicorn territory.

If you fully intend to stick with a class A don't worry about which chassis it could be built on. Both the Ford and the GM/Allison power trains are extremely reliable and both are simple to maintain. The house built on it is much more likely to rot away before the chassis needs anything major.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

jeromep

Eastern Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The space between knowledge and opinion is very narrow. You will get a lot of opinion here, but most of it comes from knowledge acquired from experience. Difference experiences lead to different knowledge and thus different opinions.

Engine philosophy between GM and Ford is very different. Ford doesn't like large displacement engines to be all wrapped up at high RPMs to deliver torque and horsepower. Although this might be changing with the new Godzilla V-8. If you dig around you'll find that Ford engines develop most of their torque at lower RPMs so you don't need to wrap the engine up and have it screaming to be performing. GM seems to take the opposite route with a torque curve which generally means that you get all of your torque and power well above 3000 RPM, which is a lot of revs for a large displacement engine. And the 8.1 reaches peak HP well over 4000. Plus, it is very thirsty, I think more so than the V-10.

The V-10, especially the later ones are very reliable. The blowing spark plug issue was something that happened on the early ones, and if you find yourself a 1997-2001 V-10 with some miles on it, it has either had the issue and got it fixed or had it corrected before a failure and is unlikely to give you any problems.

If you are going to buy a used motorhome you will have to do some work to rehab it a bit and make it your own. If you are fortunate you can find a seller which has kept it garaged, carported, or bagged during the winter and kept up on most of the basic maintenance activities. Delam happens when there is a water issue or leakage which isn't caught early and dealt with. I recommend not buying a unit which has extensive visible delam, so go over anything you are thinking about buying with a fine tooth comb.

The older the unit the more likely you can find delam, even delam which isn't so much water related, but age related. Delam is a reality as hardware gets older. If a unit has been garaged in climate controlled places, delam is rare, but finding a motorhome which has been garaged its whole life is really difficult.

Try to find a used unit in which the previous owner has great documentation of their maintenance and upgrades. This is generally a good sign of a unit which should support you well in the future. Also note, that with a travel trailer your maintenance has been limited to "house stuff". The moment you buy a motorhome you have "house stuff" and "chassis stuff", and some of it blends together. And also keep in mind that you are buying a heavy duty truck, whether Class C or A. So, when you have to do maintenance you will have quite a bit of added expense, and you will need to have a mechanic which can work on heavy rigs. Not all mechanics can lift 15,000-20,000 lbs., not even dealers. This is why a lot of folks do buy a truck and have a trailer, because the truck can be used year round and fairly easily maintained and eventually replaced. I don't know too many people that have truck/trailer combinations in which the truck isn't a daily driver.

Getting a Class A without slides after about 1997 is a little rare, and you have found the few that didn't offer slides. Tiffin's are great, and probably the best of the three brands you have shared. But, if you are avoiding the slide out because you are concerned about the maintenance or the condition of a nearly 20 year old slide, that is understandable, but also shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Again, just like delam, look over your used prospect, make sure to exercise the slide a number of times before you buy it, and you might want to get a second opinion from a reputable RV maintenance shop, or at least have them "tune it up" after your purchase, before you go on a longer trip. If the owner won't let you exercise the slide a number of times before you buy, that is a red flag. Take somebody along to watch and listen to the slide on the outside and get their feedback. Did it move smoothly in and out and not appear to be hanging up on anything? Did the motors sound "normal" or did they seem mechanically strained? Look at the roof of the slide out, what condition is it in? Is it dirty or is the membrane in need of maintenance?

To be honest, prior to slides, manufacturers typically made units longer to provide more living space, storage space and features. If you were to look in the mid to late 90s, you'll find a lot of Class As with no slides, but to make space they tend to be longer, 35-40 ft.

Storage and access to storage cubbies and basements is going to be different between class A and C. I like As better because their basement storage access is generally through full sized doors. I haven't met an A built in the last 20-25 years or more which doesn't have really great basement storage and access to it. As also tend to have wet bays or service bays for all of your hookups and sewer dump. These bays are all inboard and protected from road debris and generally insulated from extreme temperatures, and often have heating ductwork to help prevent freezing.

My guess is that your mini-van/tent trailer combination have worked out well for you because you had plenty of room in the van for all your gear. Be sure to visualize in some way all the gear you take with you in the van and determine if the motorhome you eventually buy will fit it all. Again, I think Class As will be better equipped to handle all of your gear over a Class C.

Class Cs vary in terms of how their hookups are handled, but most have road exposed sewer dumps, small access ports for fresh water and electrical. Convenience and consolidation mean a lot to me, so I really value a single service compartment over having a lot of small nooks and crannies to do various stuff or service hookups.

Whatever you move into, it is going to take some getting used to considering your old way of RVing and it certainly won't be the same as what you have been doing. Happy trails.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Some people go camping, they set up in the forest or at a campground for a week and "enjoy nature" or hike or whatever. If this is what you like to do a trailer may work fine and be less expensive.
My family travels via RV, we visit museums, historic sites, relatives, etc. while traveling around the country. We rarely spend more than 1 or 2 nights in the same place. For us a motorhome makes more sense. It allows for snacks, bathroom breaks, naps, etc. to all take place while in motion. (Except for the driver of course.) Thus, since selling my TC a few years ago, I'm looking for a MH.
I'm looking for a class C for a few reasons: I want a driver's door, I want the overhead bunk as we have 3 children and don't want to be converting the dinette to a bed every night, and I do my own vehicle maintenance and a C strikes me as being easier to work on.

Funny, we do museums, historic sites, etc... Traveling originally in a 5th wheel and now a travel trailer, we can be on the road just as fast as a MH pulling a toad. No more issues getting into a parking lot than a MH pulling a toad.

Of course, it's illegal for children to be wandering about while the vehicle is in motion plus it's nice to get out and stretch every 2-3hr anyway.

A MH is more likely to require converting a dinette every night in the 30ft size range. Lots of bunkhouse trailers available. Keep in mind a 30ft MH has the living space of a 24-26ft travel trailer because the cockpit isn't in the RV.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a couple of thoughts...

There seem to be more posts on here of failed 8.1 GMs than V10s. With that said, both are rare, I wouldn't **not** buy an RV because of the 8.1 vs V10 deal.

On the delamination issue, look at a Newmar or older Monaco/Holiday Rambler. They are not laminated so they can't delaminate.

There are a few others but not in the 30' range.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like before rent many different units find what fits you. Then for sure you are not making payments for not. As for chevy or ford don't go for that you get no choice it's Ford or Diesel.Get a fiberglass roof less chance of leaks I been there and done it.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Questions About People's Knowledge Of Various Issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.