cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFIC tripping

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
The barn GFIC is tripping on my Wildwood with Dometic RM2652. I has happened 2 times so I replaced the GFIC with a new one and it tripped again. I turned the refer on in case we needed extra storage at Thanksgiving and again at Christmas. It seems to be related to the refer. Electric heater element? Everything else is off other than the converter during storage.
RVing since 1995.
16 REPLIES 16

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
ppine wrote:
GFIs are very sensitive. They trip all the time.
Many MHs and TTs have a 30 amp system but are plugged into a barn or garage with a 20 amp circuit.

Sometimes your rig with a GFI is plugged into a garage circuit with GFI. They fight each other and trip.

uh.... how many times has your hair dryer, electric pressure washer etcl with GFI tripped and faught with the breaker panel GFI????

IMHO pure BS. Downstream GFI's work well with an breaker panel or upstream GFI.

I've got literally dozens of downstream GFI devices used in the house and trailer along with breaker panel GFCI/AFCI on all my circuits and NEVER have had an issue with a downstream GFCI causing conflict or tripping with a breaker panel GFI or vice versa.

Same with our son in his house.

any time one or the other tripped it was a FAULT, pure and simple. They did what they were supposed to do.

True. GFCI's fighting each other and tripping is a myth. But it is a commonly believed myth.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Many MHs and TTs have a 30 amp system but are plugged into a barn or garage with a 20 amp circuit.

Sometimes your rig with a GFI is plugged into a garage circuit with GFI. They fight each other and trip.

uh.... how many times has your hair dryer, electric pressure washer etcl with GFI tripped and faught with the breaker panel GFI????

IMHO pure BS. Downstream GFI's work well with an breaker panel or upstream GFI.

I've got literally dozens of downstream GFI devices used in the house and trailer along with breaker panel GFCI/AFCI on all my circuits and NEVER have had an issue with a downstream GFCI causing conflict or tripping with a breaker panel GFI or vice versa.

Same with our son in his house.

any time one or the other tripped it was a FAULT, pure and simple. They did what they were supposed to do.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Is the outside outlet wet? Seems every time mine trips the outside outlets covers been open & gotten wet. They will trip when over loaded (wifes hair dryer) and they get weak after being tripped a couple times.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You need to fix the problem. The idea to use a non-GFCI receptacle to mask the problem would be a mistake.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
simply plug into a non-gfi circuit. You are not plugged into a gfi circuit when on shore power in a campground.

It would be very unsafe to eliminate this GFCI as itโ€™s on the outside of the barn and is used for other power tools. Donโ€™t think I like the possibility of being electrocuted.
RVing since 1995.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
simply plug into a non-gfi circuit. You are not plugged into a gfi circuit when on shore power in a campground.

Evidently you have not camped in Trail of Tears State Park, MO. ALL receptacles, 15, 30, and 50 amp are GFCIs. I've stayed in one other Missouri state park that also had GFCIs on all the receptacles - maybe it is all of the state parks...

It is worth taking the time to find what is causing the trip & fixing it. Bobbo's description of finding the fault is a good one, although I'd start with checking the adapters first.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I posted this in another thread a few days ago, but it applies here as well. Plugging into a non-GFCI circuit doesn't solve a problem that you have, it only fails to detect it.

It takes some serious diagnosing to find GFCI problems sometimes.

1. Turn off all breakers in the RV. If the problem goes away, it is one of the hot wires leaking to ground. Turn the breakers on one at a time to identify the wire, then trace it. If the problem persists with all breakers off, it is not a hot wire leaking to ground.

2. Disconnect all neutral wires in RV breaker box. If the problem goes away, one of the neutral wires is touching ground. Reconnect each neutral one at a time to identify the wire, then trace it. If the problem persists with all neutral wires disconnected, it is not a neutral touching ground.

3. If the problem persists after #1 and #2, the problem is either the outlet, or between the outlet and the breaker box. That means one of the adapters, the plug on the RV, the point where the RV power cord is connected to the RV, or the ATS (if you have one).

It should go without saying, but I will say it anyway, UNPLUG THE RV BEFORE WORKING IN THE BREAKER BOX!
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Open the outside refrigerator panel and unplug the refrigerators 120v cord from the outlet. Now see if the barn GFI continues to trip. If so then it's not in the refrigerator.

If no tripping then plug the refrigerator back in and disconnect the refrigerator heater wire. If still no trip then replace the heater.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
Has it ever worked normally on this outlet? Does your rig have an onboard generator?

It has worked for years on that outlet, but since I replaced the GFI it's a moot point. No generator.
RVing since 1995.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I think it's a GFCI

You would think that after more than 40 years as a licensed general contractor I should know that ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Fingers started typing before brain was engaged!
RVing since 1995.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Unplug the refer in the outside access.
Element going to ground!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it trip breaker on propane mode? Use just your battery to see if it runs on propane.