Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Collecting 5th wheel Tow Data, just for fun, 2000 mile trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Collecting 5th wheel Tow Data, just for fun, 2000 mile trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Jeeze.....

I'm lucky to pick up the color of a truck going the opposite direction let alone what the badges indicate???.... I am usually tuned into my ZONE...

I'd be getting yelled at by you know who if I was trying to see what truck just went by [emoticon]

vcv

North Ga

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

vcv wrote:

Okay folks, here are the results. The raw data is within the image file, and I have consolidated the data below:

Ford: Total of 40
(6.7's dominated the Ford category, no surprise. It was good to see some 6.0's out there, bullet proofed I'm sure. I did not identify a single 7.3, but I know they are still out there!)

Ram/Dodge: Total of 34
(Obviously 6.7's dominated. Most of the 5.9's I identified looked to be well kept and towing older 5rs)

Chev Duramax: Total of 25
(Most all of the Dmax were late model rigs, mostly single axle. I identified 4 LBZs. I have an affinity for the LBZ's, even though I have never owned one)

Topkick/Freightliner: Total of 3
(2 Freightliners and 1 Topkick)

1/2 Ton's towing 5th Wheel: Total of 4
(I changed my data collection on this one to reflect any 1/2 ton towing a 5th wheel, rather than what I feel is "overloaded". There are a few folks on here who seem to be hypersensitive to the issue, so I'll keep that data and opinion to myself.
Of the 1/2 tons I saw, two were Ford and two were GM, all late model. One was at a love travel stop fueling up, one was in a campground, and the other 2 were on the road)

[image]

Are these trucks in passing ,going the other way , how do you tell the difference from an early 6.0 to 7.3. I have learned that the only way to tell some of the earlier 7.3 Suoerduties to the later 7.3 is the badge on the front fender, the early ones were in the front of the fender the later were lower rear part of the fender, as were the 6.0 Also got to be be quick in passing to be able to tell the early 99 Superduty 7.3 from the V10, nearly the same badge on the front of the front fender. Just curious

Data collection is not perfect. To your point, it is very hard to tell the difference in a 2003 year model if it is a 6.0 vs 7.3. if I cannot get a good look it. But then I'm not logging that data. I also could have mistaken a Ford gasser from diesel (not many guys tow heavy 5rs with a gasser). Overall the data is accurate. I know trucks, I know the models, I know the engines, the badges, the grills, etc..

vcv

North Ga

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Are these trucks in passing ,going the other way , how do you tell the difference from an early 6.0 to 7.3. I have learned that the only way to tell some of the earlier 7.3 Suoerduties to the later 7.3 is the badge on the front fender, the early ones were in the front of the fender the later were lower rear part of the fender, as were the 6.0 Also got to be be quick in passing to be able to tell the early 99 Superduty 7.3 from the V10, nearly the same badge on the front of the front fender. Just curious
These were exactly my thoughts when I first commented on paying attention to other vehicles instead of what was going on in the immediate area. How does one garner all this information with just a "quick glance"? Simply differentiating between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton isn't easily apparent unless it's a dually. And some 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons are very similar, which makes telling them apart take more than just a glance.

I am afraid this is going to be far from even close to accurate data. The op probably should just post truck brands towing fifth wheels, forget the motor, can't know for sure unless sitting beside them. . But then we know what that will be , it will be the Ford being the most popular [emoticon]

The "OP" posted the data he collected. It is not rocket science. Many people are able to tell the type of truck (and most engines) at a glance.. that is IF you know the trucks. No survey is 100% accurate, but overall the data is correct.

Just b/c you can't tell the difference in the trucks doesn't mean someone else can't.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't say I couldn't tell one truck from the other ,my point is I can, so thats why I said what I did. Please carry on with whatever you think is being accomplished . [emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/09/21 09:10am by an administrator/moderator *

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

vcv wrote:

Okay folks, here are the results. The raw data is within the image file, and I have consolidated the data below:

Ford: Total of 40
(6.7's dominated the Ford category, no surprise. It was good to see some 6.0's out there, bullet proofed I'm sure. I did not identify a single 7.3, but I know they are still out there!)

Ram/Dodge: Total of 34
(Obviously 6.7's dominated. Most of the 5.9's I identified looked to be well kept and towing older 5rs)

Chev Duramax: Total of 25
(Most all of the Dmax were late model rigs, mostly single axle. I identified 4 LBZs. I have an affinity for the LBZ's, even though I have never owned one)

Topkick/Freightliner: Total of 3
(2 Freightliners and 1 Topkick)

1/2 Ton's towing 5th Wheel: Total of 4
(I changed my data collection on this one to reflect any 1/2 ton towing a 5th wheel, rather than what I feel is "overloaded". There are a few folks on here who seem to be hypersensitive to the issue, so I'll keep that data and opinion to myself.
Of the 1/2 tons I saw, two were Ford and two were GM, all late model. One was at a love travel stop fueling up, one was in a campground, and the other 2 were on the road)

[image]

Easy, the 7.3L badge is slightly shorter and has a black background and the 6.0L has a silver background. They are actually quite different when looking at them. Also, the mirror backs are different, and most FX4 trucks are 6.0L trucks. There are ways to tell if you know these trucks (I had a 2003 F-350). [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

vcv

North Ga

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s right. And if you know what you are looking for, you can tell a 2004 vs 2005 6.0 based on the badge.

* This post was edited 01/09/21 09:11am by an administrator/moderator *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey OP, nice job!!!

Guys the OP has Marty Feldman eyes.

Remember the topic says "Just for fun"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

Easy, the 7.3L badge is slightly shorter and has a black background and the 6.0L has a silver background. They are actually quite different when looking at them. Also, the mirror backs are different, and most FX4 trucks are 6.0L trucks. There are ways to tell if you know these trucks (I had a 2003 F-350). [emoticon]
And you can see these minor differences at 100-150 feet apart, and closing speeds of 120-140 mph in a quick glance? As the Brits would say: Pull the other one. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job vcv!

And... I do understand what "just for fun" means...

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

blofgren wrote:

And you can see these minor differences at 100-150 feet apart, and closing speeds of 120-140 mph in a quick glance? As the Brits would say: Pull the other one. [emoticon]

My point exactly ,but hey its just for fun .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Collecting 5th wheel Tow Data, just for fun, 2000 mile trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.