cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A creature comforts at FHU stays

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We are now RV-less, and are considering an A that would be used for a few summer months, possibly sitting in just one or two different locales over the summer. With 1000 mile drives to and from the home base. We've had fivers and don't want to go that route this time.

I want to know about the creature comforts and at what level they are available. Things that make the experience a bit more residential. For instance, I don't think much of normal RV HVAC. It's great for campers but maybe there is something nicer. What else is available in the bigger rigs? I've read about Aqua Hot and probably have a decent idea that it's diesel fired hot water heat? Is it worthwhile? Is there any AC other than a bunch of rooftop units? Or are they quiet enough on a nice A to be just fine?

A 120v fridge would be very nice, I know that's not a big deal any more, right?

The RV toilet is still going to be the RV toilet, I assume.

Anything else worth mentioning that makes the rig feel more residential? We're not interested in the goofy bling stuff. More like just better quality and comfort.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
12 REPLIES 12

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Heated floors! Ours had two furnaces which kept the floors toasty,when running. The heat pumps were on the ceiling however and though not cold the tile was bit cool sometimes. However the furnaces kept the tanks all unfrozen.
A "Cold Weather" Package is essential I think. We have seen the twenties and below in South Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia and the Carolinas...all the places people go to escape the cold. More insulation means less fuel and electricity consumption to boot!Make sure the tanks and wet bay won't freeze if you decide to hunt Elk In the Dakotas too!
There is one other must item to address I think. EPA seems determined to force us to use more and more Bio diesel. And it gels and ordinary dino diesel will also in extreme cold.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A cold Christmas in the SE has me loving my AHot even more. Normally the electric element provides enough heat... not the last 4 days in N Florida as it’s needed the diesel boiler. The engine also provides heats when going do the road.

When upgrading we knew we didn’t want a window over the head of the bead again...cold and more noise. Last couple of night’s proved that wisdom...25 degrees against even double pain glass passes a lot of cold.

Plenty of good used high-end rigs out there with many years of service left in them. Was not impressed with the new stuff so we went 10 years old when upgrading and three years later it was another smart move.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Two Jayhawks wrote:
Snowman9000 wrote:
OK, so now, what budget are we talking about? Probably something lightly used, 3-5 years old. 200K? 250? Higher?

$200K to $250K would buy a very nice later model coach with all the high end options mentioned so far.

This is sounding good to me. 🙂

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
OK, so now, what budget are we talking about? Probably something lightly used, 3-5 years old. 200K? 250? Higher?

$200K to $250K would buy a very nice later model coach with all the high end options mentioned so far.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a condo when I was younger. I have more creature comforts in my coach than I did in that condo. Aqua Hot is a must (instant hot water as long as you want it) Macerator is a must (flip a switch and your tanks empty) Washer/Dryer are a must, (public washers are gross) Bath and a half are close to being a must. Residential fridge is a must. (cold beer and hard ice cream) Finally, make sure your mattress fits your body....good night's sleep is a must. Also consider the quality of the coach you're looking at. Have someone stand about 20 feet away and talk...if you can hear them inside your coach, keep looking. Ours is insulated well with dual pane windows. Quiet inside. We have 3 15000BTU heatpumps that are quiet. We also have the floor furnace through the AH. You don't know it's on. Enjoy your search....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, washer and dryer, I forgot about those.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Two full wall slides in addition twin bedroom slides 45-47 ft.
Living in it for awhile you really want all the space you can afford.
We lived in our 38 ft for a year recently.
Not going to do that again.,,,in the Arizona desert at our age. We usually spend 90% of our time outside or away from the coach but not in 113 degree heat, and nothing but dirt.
So where you spend your time depends lot on how much creature comfort you want from your RV I think. Our next Mh will have the large as we can get TV that rises up, if required even if blocking a window. Big windows and a window wall would be welcomed with auto tint of darkening. No fooling with shades and such. King bed, and a sofa bed if you happen to have company. At least 5 gpm per @55 psi and no lower pump and remove the flow restrictors from the shower!Get a shower wall if you can and a bidet, I don't care what Spouse says.
Dish washer a must and convection/microwave, and if full electric, flat glass stove stop. Washer and dryer not washer/dryer. The couch should be big enough to stretch out on for a snooze. Swivel Rocker Recliners a must. Dining boot if you like but a table and chairs for our next one. utilities sewer, water, and electric, all on power retracting reels! Largest awnings you can find and self retracting if wind kick up. If you set up in RV Resorts you really want to be able to sit out under the awning on the side away form the sun in the evening or the morning, maybe,just like at home we have two large, west and east porches.
Enough storage reserved for drain though pad or carpet, as you don't want to damage grass if you camp on grass. The ones with half inch or one inch holes all over and through the surface.
you want to RV on a lake or wherever, and go Antiquing or everything in deep. Daily maintenance is not something you want to be deep in. You left home to leave all that behind.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would recommend a floor plan that has the TV across from the couch/recliners. Not one that has the TV at the top of the windshield where your neck would be cranked to the side.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Aqua Hot is great but if you don't cold weather camp there is very little advantage over a gas 10 gal. water heater'
Macerator toilets are a big plus as is a residential fridge when temps are in the high 90's, they cool better when its very hot out.
My roof a/c's are very quiet due to my ceiling design, ducted and covered with a ceiling cloud plus 2 speed fans.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Entegras and Newmars are more quite than most of the rest. The AC is ducted and with their insulation the AC runs less than others. Aqua Hot is a diesel fired boiler that heats very well; it sends hot water to heat exchangers where the blower takes over. Entegras use the hot water to heat the floors. It also provides continuous domestic hot water.
PS they ride great.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just buy you a few places you want to have as a home base. Won't take many with your 1000 miles range.