Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Installing a safe?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Installing a safe?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be best to bolt the safe down in a spot where it could be pried loose fairly quickly, but make noise when loose. Then hide the stuff you want to keep. Thief breaks in, sees safe. He will know that's the jackpot. But the noise might make them want to leave. When they get it open, they got nothing.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimR 1 wrote:

First now every body knows you have a safe, next they know you have a firearm and an iPad. Just saying ???

Its highly doubtful a substantial number of lowlife thieves are now searching for some guy named Durbs based on his post, who is located somwhere in the NW. But you never know I guess.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimR 1 wrote:

First now every body knows you have a safe, next they know you have a firearm and an iPad. Just saying ???

To answer your question if I had one I would not have it in the open but easy to get to and be able to see to open and yes have it secured.

JimR

What are you smoking?
I have 2 safes and a bunch of firearms. But you don’t know who I am so who cares....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Might be best to bolt the safe down in a spot where it could be pried loose fairly quickly, but make noise when loose. Then hide the stuff you want to keep. Thief breaks in, sees safe. He will know that's the jackpot. But the noise might make them want to leave. When they get it open, they got nothing.

The old reverse psychology trick...
Even better just leave a note in the safe saying Ha Ha!

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to agree with previous thought! I have a safe in that same corner of the closet nicely concealed and certainly welded into place but with my wife, loading every inch of the MH, I couldn't get to anything fast if I wanted to! Your firearm needs to be secure but also readily available if need be.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is small enough, which it likely is, get somebody who is handy with upholstery and a sewing machine.

Get some foam padding, some fabric that matches your upholstery and custom make a snug but not tight fitting cover that has flaps to fold underneath the safe. Place it near a chair or the sofa in plain sight.

It is now cleverly disguised as a footstool.

It is out in the open for quick access should you need your protection, and no thief will ever think twice about examining a footstool by a sofa.
Remember, they are after something valuable that is easy to grab and run with.

And, when you are relaxing with a beverage of choice, you have a nice place to prop up your feet! [emoticon]

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, double post.
Server timed out, error message so I clicked post again

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 12:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Money safe - To store extra credit cards, some cash, checkbooks, spare keys, and TP locate the safe in a dark corner under the kitchen sink behind the pots and pans, dishtowels, and cleaning supplies. The location should be a tight space where a crowbar can't be used to pry the safe. You won't be accessing this safe very frequently so it can be hidden.

Handgun safe - A biometric safe bolted to a wall or cabinet exterior in plain sight and easy access. The best place for a handgun is in a holster on your hip loaded and ready to use.

Rifle safe - A locking wall mount attached under the bed or inside a closet. The rifle should be unloaded and ammo stored in a different but accessible location along with the keys.

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bolt it down. Just make sure if the other side of the bolt is accessible that you use carriage bolts on the outside.
Don't fret about it being too easy to open at night. Just put the handgun on the nightstand at night. Lock it up in the morning if you are not carrying it.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimR 1 wrote:

To answer your question if I had one I would not have it in the open but easy to get to and be able to see to open and yes have it secured.

JimR

Fortunately, Durb doesn't drive around with "Durb here" written on the side of his trailer so who is going to know it's him???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Installing a safe?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.