cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laptop Stripped Screw ?????

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
A number months ago I purchased an older HP EliteBook 8770w laptop computer. I would now like to upgrade the hard drive; however, I find that the security screw necessary to remove the back of the laptop is stripped. I am considering two options. I could epoxy or otherwise glue the appropriate small Philipโ€™s screwdriver bit in the stripped screw head or I could attempt to drill out the screw. Drilling runs the risk of damaging something on the other side of the screw while epoxy may not be strong enough to remove the screw.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
19 REPLIES 19

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try a rubber band over the tip of the screwdriver? Or is it to far gone? You might need a small rubber band depending on the screw size. Next step would be epoxy or cutting a slot as stated, last drill it out. Good luck.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
K Charles wrote:
The object of a left hand drill bit, if used right and you are lucky, is to catch and then unscrew the screw.

I have worked on HP laptops, there is ZERO chance ANY "lefthand drill bit" is going to catch enough material with out doing collateral damage to said laptop.

1/32 in. High Speed Steel Left Hand Drill Bit (12-Pack)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drill-America-1-32-in-High-Speed-Steel-Left-Hand-Drill-Bit-12-Pack-DWDLH...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once you have the head off if you take off JUST the head. Then pull the drive. Then grip what's left of the screw with pliers and twist it out.

Or forget it. when you put the new drive in.

Just pulled a drive from an old dead toshiba. said drive is no encased beside my new HP renamed "old Tosh" it's my archival drive and has lots and lots of space.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can drill the head off the screw, then use a left hand drill bit. They really don't work any differently than a right hand drill bit, but there is an excellent chance they will unscrew the fastener while trying to drill off the head.

Haven't come across too much thread locker that is stronger than a drill bit. Must be some super special stuff.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:
The object of a left hand drill bit, if used right and you are lucky, is to catch and then unscrew the screw.

I have worked on HP laptops, there is ZERO chance ANY "lefthand drill bit" is going to catch enough material with out doing collateral damage to said laptop..

We are talking a very TINY SCREW here, not a manifold bolt on a vehicle. That screw is also held in by blue thread locker making the chances of breaking off the harder drill bit pretty darn good.

That TINY little screw is countersunk into the plastic with nothing protruding above the plastic to grab so pliers, cutters can't get anywhere near gripping the head.

It has been a while since I worked on a HP laptop( and glad of it, they are a PITA) so I can't remember if the access panel slides off or if it pulls straight up.. If it pulls straight up, removing just the screw head by drilling the head off is the quickest, safest way.

Personally, OP should take it to a PC shop and pay to have them remove the screw before more collateral damage is done in the process, PC shop will have better screw drivers that don't strip screw heads, heck, they may even have to apply heat to the screw to loosen the thread locker.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Get a portable hard drive that plugs into the USB and call it a day.
2010 Suncruiser

SteveB wrote:
If you have a dremel tool you could cut a slot in the head and take it out with a flat blade screwdriver.

This ^^^
I have done this myself to extract stripped out screws.
Very very carefully cut a slot into the screw head. You will need a very fine cutting bit on a dremel and a steady hand so it doesn't walk all over the place.
And a small shop vac to get all the filings out. Use painters masking tape to cover over any vents, slots etc that go into the back of the computer. You don't want even a spec of this inside. Take the battery off first.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ranger Smith wrote:
Usually you can get the edge of a razor blade under the screw and lift the screw while unscrewing it.

or a very sharp knife.. Done that many times
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^^^^Exactly, that's the purpose of a left hand drill bit. More often than not it will unscrew the offending bolt.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Get a reverse thread drill if other methods don't work.

Drilling may really be the only alternative to the problem.

The drillings which are going to be difficult to keep contained.

Don't need to be a reverse bit though, just need a drill bit just large enough to drill the head off. Think of it like drilling out a pop rivet. You can leave the threaded portion of the screw in place as the cover should go right past that. The screw head is countersunk and no way to grab with pliers or cutters.

Laptop manufacturers use Blue Thread locker and removal of the screws requires the use of a good quality precision screw driver set.. Round off the screw and you are now in a bind.

Krazy glue might have worked if there was some portion left of the head that wasn't rounded off but if smooth, nothing there for the glue to really hold on to.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

This and use a hand driver not a drill.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a dremel tool you could cut a slot in the head and take it out with a flat blade screwdriver.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS