Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Laptop Stripped Screw ?????
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Laptop Stripped Screw ?????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The object of a left hand drill bit, if used right and you are lucky, is to catch and then unscrew the screw.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^^^^Exactly, that's the purpose of a left hand drill bit. More often than not it will unscrew the offending bolt.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

Usually you can get the edge of a razor blade under the screw and lift the screw while unscrewing it.

or a very sharp knife.. Done that many times

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SteveB wrote:

If you have a dremel tool you could cut a slot in the head and take it out with a flat blade screwdriver.

This ^^^
I have done this myself to extract stripped out screws.
Very very carefully cut a slot into the screw head. You will need a very fine cutting bit on a dremel and a steady hand so it doesn't walk all over the place.
And a small shop vac to get all the filings out. Use painters masking tape to cover over any vents, slots etc that go into the back of the computer. You don't want even a spec of this inside. Take the battery off first.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a portable hard drive that plugs into the USB and call it a day.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

The object of a left hand drill bit, if used right and you are lucky, is to catch and then unscrew the screw.

I have worked on HP laptops, there is ZERO chance ANY "lefthand drill bit" is going to catch enough material with out doing collateral damage to said laptop..

We are talking a very TINY SCREW here, not a manifold bolt on a vehicle. That screw is also held in by blue thread locker making the chances of breaking off the harder drill bit pretty darn good.

That TINY little screw is countersunk into the plastic with nothing protruding above the plastic to grab so pliers, cutters can't get anywhere near gripping the head.

It has been a while since I worked on a HP laptop( and glad of it, they are a PITA) so I can't remember if the access panel slides off or if it pulls straight up.. If it pulls straight up, removing just the screw head by drilling the head off is the quickest, safest way.

Personally, OP should take it to a PC shop and pay to have them remove the screw before more collateral damage is done in the process, PC shop will have better screw drivers that don't strip screw heads, heck, they may even have to apply heat to the screw to loosen the thread locker.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can drill the head off the screw, then use a left hand drill bit. They really don't work any differently than a right hand drill bit, but there is an excellent chance they will unscrew the fastener while trying to drill off the head.

Haven't come across too much thread locker that is stronger than a drill bit. Must be some super special stuff.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you have the head off if you take off JUST the head. Then pull the drive. Then grip what's left of the screw with pliers and twist it out.

Or forget it. when you put the new drive in.

Just pulled a drive from an old dead toshiba. said drive is no encased beside my new HP renamed "old Tosh" it's my archival drive and has lots and lots of space.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

K Charles wrote:

I have worked on HP laptops, there is ZERO chance ANY "lefthand drill bit" is going to catch enough material with out doing collateral damage to said laptop.

1/32 in. High Speed Steel Left Hand Drill Bit (12-Pack)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drill-Americ........Drill-Bit-12-Pack-DWDLH1-32P12/310590796

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try a rubber band over the tip of the screwdriver? Or is it to far gone? You might need a small rubber band depending on the screw size. Next step would be epoxy or cutting a slot as stated, last drill it out. Good luck.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Laptop Stripped Screw ?????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.