cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Spare Tire

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Since we have a Class C on order, I am wondering if a flat tire can be changed without calling roadside assistance. With our prior Class A, I would not consider changing a tire by myself. However since the new coach has 16” wheels, I might be inclined to change the tire by myself. Is this easy to do or is it better to call roadside assistance. I can change car tires myself so is a class C more difficult.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
38 REPLIES 38

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe try loosening the lugs slightly then driving a very short distance.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I added a 7’ 2x4 to that list because i’m always playing in snow country.

I found it a lot safer and easier to go to the opposite side of the rv and hammer the long 2x4 to free a stuck wheel rather than reach under the flat side where you have a shorter and less powerful stroke. I spray the wheel then sledge-hammer it. If the jack collapses while you are hammering at least you wont be underneath it.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
" I would like to view such a change with the two wheels stuck together and see how to handle that problem."

I have changed out hundreds of big rig and various types of dual wheel set ups in my career. The set up called "budd wheels" on big rigs were notorious

for sticking together especially when I wrenched in Upstate New York due to salt corrosion. The solution was a sledgehammer to the rim or if the tire

was still inflated the tire itself. And these were steel wheels. The aluminum wheels were not a problem. The smaller dual wheel type on a RV were rarely an

issue. Carry a sledgehammer if you are able to swing it a little and usually a few whacks and it will break free.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Just make sure they’re not “stuck” together.
Although I’ve never seen wheels stuck together. Would have to be a very rusty barnacle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I’m age 69 and comfortable changing a front wheel with the tools I carry all the time. In 12 years of RVing I have never needed to change a wheel on the road but we often travel away from civilization like the trip to the big waterfall and spectacular rock formations south of Tumbler Ridge, BC. I have had to change a wheel on smaller vehicles about 3 times in 30 years of driving so it won’t happen often.

I am afraid to try changing a dual wheel. I would like to view such a change with the two wheels stuck together and see how to handle that problem.

Meanwhile, I have upgraded my wife’s Alberta Motor Association membership to cover RV wheel problems.

Are there short term coverages available for a month cruise in the USA?
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
hpdrver wrote:
Seems the best advice is to have a spare and the tools required to change a spare and decide whether to do it by yourself based on the situation.

I agree with this 100%. If I get a flat in the real world, I am going to drive slowly to somewhere safe if at all possible (even if I ruin a rim.) I would then call roadside assist and let them place my mounted spare.

But I go too many places with no cell phone service, so I carry a ~$40 HF bottle jack, 4x cheap HF rubber chocks, a 30" HF breaker bar, extension, and socket; and a Autozone 4-way. This past summer I picked up a nail for a slow leak in the driver's side inner dual. At the end of season I swapped with my spare in my driveway before taking the leaker to the tire shop for repair. I also practiced pulling/swapping the front.

I feel more confident having installed the spare in both front and rear position using tools I carry, a worst-case-scenario tire situation. It was not physically difficult in the driveway, but would be very stressful to do on the side of the highway.
Patrick

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
On our Tioga 26Q the spare wheel/tire is mounted in the front of cavernous cargo hold behind a lot of stuff that has to be removed for access. I am 82 and hope to never have a blowout/flat, etc. I will call emergency service and remove the stuff to give the guy access to the spare. At least we do have a spare.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will repeat what someone said about having a spare WITH PROPER PRESSURE.
I have carried a 12 volt compressor for many years. I have used it for helping other people many more times than I have used it on my TT or truck. Last summer while in Glacier NP, my camping neighbor was using a bicycle tire pump to fill his spare when he woke up in the morning to a flat TT tire. I thought he was going to hug and kiss me when I pulled out my Viair compressor. Before I left him, I gave him my old cheapie compressor that I picked up at a garage sale for $5.
It is beyond belief that people will pull a trailer of any type without knowing if their tow vehicle jack and lug wrench will work on their trailer.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides all that heavy duty equipment, you also need your usual ordinary little tool box. The inner tire air valve extensions are attached to the pretty outside fake wheel hub, so you need to deal with those too. 🙂
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Powertour
Explorer
Explorer
Buy / maintain a spare tire with your coach & if you get a flat on any of the rear duals call a service & let them toil over the change out.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your spare tire is mounted underneath your vehicle be sure and check to see if there is any damage to the system that holds it up there. I had a blowout and the spare tire rack was bent right where the

mechanism is that fastened the tire to the rack. AAA needed to remove the tire rack from the rig. As mentioned, do a dry run with those so called cordless impacts before you head out. Have a throwaway

blanket handy as you lay on the ground wrestling with a tire in the rain. Carry a long pipe to add to your breaker bar. Also that pipe can be used to lift the tire while the other hand maneuvers it to the studs.

Don't attempt to lift the tire by hand, use leverage. Antiseize the studs and ALWAYS recheck after 50 miles or so.

Having wrenched as a career and changed, my guess, hundreds of tires on big rigs.......... unless it is an emergency I let AAA do it as I wait inside sipping a beverage .......

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP has a Class C so I am guessing outside storage is a premium. Getting more "complicated" tools could cause space issue. My guess is carrying bare essentials is the best way to go.
Doesn't appear that the original idea of the Good Sam Club was to help others along the way and to have fun is happening any more.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Don't think just about your self

:C if everyone practiced that, we would all be in a better place.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I havent tried it yet but i bought a 12T air/hydraulic jack from HF and I also have one of the 3 gal hotdog compressors. It appears it will fit under the frame and the compressor should be able to make it work. We (everyone) has a generator on the rv (unless very old or not wanted/available) so why not use it. I also have a HF 120v impact wrench to go with everything. I have been carrying a 12T hydraulic over the years but when I tried it to take a tire off even though it fit, it was a major PIA to jack up, thus the move to the new jack. I plan to test it out by replacing brake pads and shocks before any travel this new year. But as with anything else please be sure to have a rug or something to place on the ground to cover rocks, thornes et.