Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Changing Spare Tire
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Changing Spare Tire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ybconway wrote:

On my to buy list is a breaker bar, extension, socket and jack. I have a 1/2 electric rattle wrench but I doubt it would crack the wheel nuts.

A halfway decent cordless impact should be able to loosen the lugs-provided they are not too tight. 140 ft/lbs is not really that tight, just a 70 pound pull at the end of a 2 foot tire iron. Many guys would have you think that you need to stand on the end of a four foot breaker bar to get them loose. If that's the case, then they were WAY overtightened to begin with and possibly damaged.

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would always be to your advantage to be ready to do it yourself.
As stated wheel chocks are a must for safety.
Also an assortment of wood blocks to drive upon so there is less jacking. Even on a flat front this will help. Also for under the jack on soft ground.
I have changed many dozens of semi and/or car tires and you will find over tightened lug nuts often so a cheater pipe to fit over a breaker bar should be carried.
Every vehicle can be a little different so you need to be ready. I had a Class A with A frame front end and I needed 2 jacks for a front tire! One for the frame and one for the A frame.
And large tire iron to "Jimmy" the tire onto the studs.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 02:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have to ask this question its probably best to leave the lug wrench and jack to someone else.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will throw something else into the mix.
Don't think just about your self on carrying tools to change your tire, think about someone else that may have problems on the road.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I will throw something else into the mix.
Don't think just about your self on carrying tools to change your tire, think about someone else that may have problems on the road.

Absolutely! And if you don’t know how to change a tire, they could give you your first lesson by changing theirs!

I know this seems like it goes without saying, but don’t wait until you get a flat to see how tight or rusted your lugs are. Take care of that from the comfort of your driveway.
And use a little anti seize on the lugs, then they’ll never be stuck when you don’t want them to be. And for vehicles that get regular tire rotations, anti seize will save on wear n tear on the lugs and nuts.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I havent tried it yet but i bought a 12T air/hydraulic jack from HF and I also have one of the 3 gal hotdog compressors. It appears it will fit under the frame and the compressor should be able to make it work. We (everyone) has a generator on the rv (unless very old or not wanted/available) so why not use it. I also have a HF 120v impact wrench to go with everything. I have been carrying a 12T hydraulic over the years but when I tried it to take a tire off even though it fit, it was a major PIA to jack up, thus the move to the new jack. I plan to test it out by replacing brake pads and shocks before any travel this new year. But as with anything else please be sure to have a rug or something to place on the ground to cover rocks, thornes et.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Don't think just about your self

[emoticon] if everyone practiced that, we would all be in a better place.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP has a Class C so I am guessing outside storage is a premium. Getting more "complicated" tools could cause space issue. My guess is carrying bare essentials is the best way to go.
Doesn't appear that the original idea of the Good Sam Club was to help others along the way and to have fun is happening any more.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your spare tire is mounted underneath your vehicle be sure and check to see if there is any damage to the system that holds it up there. I had a blowout and the spare tire rack was bent right where the

mechanism is that fastened the tire to the rack. AAA needed to remove the tire rack from the rig. As mentioned, do a dry run with those so called cordless impacts before you head out. Have a throwaway

blanket handy as you lay on the ground wrestling with a tire in the rain. Carry a long pipe to add to your breaker bar. Also that pipe can be used to lift the tire while the other hand maneuvers it to the studs.

Don't attempt to lift the tire by hand, use leverage. Antiseize the studs and ALWAYS recheck after 50 miles or so.

Having wrenched as a career and changed, my guess, hundreds of tires on big rigs.......... unless it is an emergency I let AAA do it as I wait inside sipping a beverage .......

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy / maintain a spare tire with your coach & if you get a flat on any of the rear duals call a service & let them toil over the change out.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Changing Spare Tire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.