cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brisk Air II fail

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of replacing my 10 year old Brisk air with a new one. Got it inplace and hooked up and started to test it. Started with fan only. Put the single zone on fan and the unit only hummed. Turned it off and went up on the roof and removed cover thinking that there might be some type of shipping lock. Tried to turn fan by hand and it is very very stiff. Went down and tried fan only again and while it was humming I spun the fan by hand and after several tries it finally started but only spun at about 20% speed.

I'm currently on hold with Dometic Tech for 18 minutes. The first 15 I was on "position - second in line" but now i'm first.

Wish me luck.

Finally got through. 27 minutes.
RVing since 1995.
13 REPLIES 13

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
joshuajim wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Your Welcome:B Doug (NIASE certified and MASTER CERTIFIED RV TECH)
Remember, your record is good because you went for help.

PS. The MOST common cause of your problem is NOT torquing the mount bolts correctly, not that they installed the impellor wrong

Did you read the part about being an ASE mechanic. The bolts were torqued to 45 inch pounds. I still have over $10,000 worth of tools. Probably almost as many as you have. ๐Ÿ™‚

It is a good thing you fixed it. If you had taken to a Dometic service center, odds are they would have charged you for the repair. I have repaired/replaced upwards of a Thousand AC units, and NEVER had one that the Impellor was rubbing by Manufacturer (appliance)build mistake. Always install error. FYI, due to insurance purposes, My Boxes and Tools total over $34k. 41 years as an RV Mechanic kind of adds up in tools. Doug

Never say never. ๐Ÿ™‚
RVing since 1995.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
joshuajim wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

PS. The MOST common cause of your problem is NOT torquing the mount bolts correctly, not that they installed the impellor wrong

Did you read the part about being an ASE mechanic. The bolts were torqued to 45 inch pounds. I still have over $10,000 worth of tools. Probably almost as many as you have. ๐Ÿ™‚

It is a good thing you fixed it. If you had taken to a Dometic service center, odds are they would have charged you for the repair. I have repaired/replaced upwards of a Thousand AC units, and NEVER had one that the Impellor was rubbing by Manufacturer (appliance)build mistake. Always install error. FYI, due to insurance purposes, My Boxes and Tools total over $34k. 41 years as an RV Mechanic kind of adds up in tools. Doug

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

RVing since 1995.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I resolved my Brisk Air issue. When Won Hung Lo installed the squirrel cage fan on the motor shaft, he put it on too far and it was rubbing against the styrofoam housing. I went on the roof snfd removed the upper styrofoam housing and spun the fan with a leaf blower. I have done this previously to loosen up tight bearings, Loosened it up and moved it back 1/8" and all is well.

This preserves my 25 year record of never having to have warranty work done at a dealer. Of course 40+ years as a General Contractor and being a former ASE mechanic helps.

RVing since 1995.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
joshuajim wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
KILL 120 power to the AC unit and recheck the fan. Doug

You did NOT buy from Dometic. You purchased from a Distributor.

No joy.

Gonna check the start cap when the wind stops blowing in the next couple of days.

Dometic recommended RV repair can look at it second week in January. Only one within 50 miles. Don't really need AC right now but heater is working properly.

Capacitor not problem. When no 120 power to the AC unit, the fan should spin freely. The Fan Motor is Bad. You have checked for binding Impellors? Who did you purchase from? Local dealer or Internet? Doug

Bought on the net. No dealers of RV equipment within 50 miles of me here in the Mojave. Wind is supposed to be under 10 tomorrow so I will pull the cover and check.
Thanks.
RVing since 1995.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
joshuajim wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

No joy.

Gonna check the start cap when the wind stops blowing in the next couple of days.

Dometic recommended RV repair can look at it second week in January. Only one within 50 miles. Don't really need AC right now but heater is working properly.

Capacitor not problem. When no 120 power to the AC unit, the fan should spin freely. The Fan Motor is Bad. You have checked for binding Impellors? Who did you purchase from? Local dealer or Internet? Doug

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

No joy.

RVing since 1995.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
joshuajim wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
"It was very very stiff"

Bearings are bad

Yeah, that's pretty apparent. You would think that they would test them at the factory before shipping. Dometic got my money so why would they care if it works :S

Most companies spot check. Test say one in every 50 or so. So occasionally a clunker gets clunked.. Also though I am not aware of it, I wonder if it is possible for a bearing to fail in storage...

I've had bearings size up.. and motors fry... and more.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
"It was very very stiff"

Bearings are bad

Yeah, that's pretty apparent. You would think that they would test them at the factory before shipping. Dometic got my money so why would they care if it works :S
RVing since 1995.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
"It was very very stiff"

Bearings are bad
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you check to see if you have enough voltage AND amperage?