Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Building fence post sewer hose storage. Need 5.5" caps

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Using 5" square plastic post.
Can't find 5.5" plastic caps....
Interested in other ideas for different cap material.
Thanks!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315
30 REPLIES 30

jtobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine like Barney S did with one exception. My cap is held on by 2 springs, one on each side. I took a cotter pin passed the spring through the center and put it through a hole drilled in the side of the post. Then bent the legs flat against the side (on both sides) then did the same for the cap. This allows 1 handed operation. I just pull the cap out until it clears the post and rotate it under the post. I have had this post on 2 5th wheels for over 50,000 miles and hasn't failed me yet.

I'd get pictures, but it is cold and wet and in storage, and I've got a bourbon drink in hand.
2020 F350 dually. Ruby Red, loaded. B&W oem 5th wheel hitch
2017 Sierra 381 RBOK 5th wheel Camper
2011 Glastron 205gt Runabout

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds like the OP has decided and has ordered the caps needed. For anyone else reading and trying to decide on a system, I can mention my choice.

Personally I have never understood placing a wet sewer hose in a closed compartment. That hose is never going to be sanitary and entirely clean. I store my hose under the rear bumper of my RV. The hose hangs on a piece of nylon rope with a snap fasteners on eye hooks. If you want something fancier I would suggest a broom stick attached with a hinge on one end and a snap fastener on the other.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are the ones I built using the 5in post covers. Got the covers at Home Depot and the rest of the stuff at Lowes if I remember correctly. The reason for three of them is that I gave one to each of my sons for their trailers. The trays, once pulled out served somewhat as hose supports but they needed assistance to keep from twisting. The long bolt went through the top cover and tube piece, then the tray handle to keep it from sliding all the way in the tube, then through a hole in the bottom tube and the the bottom of the cover. The wing nut held it all on and never came loose through many miles of travel.:)
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
learntorv wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
With the cost of the vinyl fence post tubes, the caps, hinges and brackets and then having to put it all together, wouldn't it be better to just buy one of these? Valterra Adjustable Hose Carrier

My toy hauler came with the Valterra mounted from the factory. I then made 2 more vinyl fence posts for the rig.

Other than a stupid mounting location, it's harder to put the hose into than the vinyl fence post. The fence post also holds more.

Thanks for that info learntorv.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

learntorv
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
With the cost of the vinyl fence post tubes, the caps, hinges and brackets and then having to put it all together, wouldn't it be better to just buy one of these? Valterra Adjustable Hose Carrier

My toy hauler came with the Valterra mounted from the factory. I then made 2 more vinyl fence posts for the rig.

Other than a stupid mounting location, it's harder to put the hose into than the vinyl fence post. The fence post also holds more.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
haddy1 wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
No, the valterra is a lot more $$$. Like double. I just bolted mine, and used a wing nut through the caps. But mine has a ladder in it and not a sewer hose. Caps were at the same place i got the fence post, lowes.

OK, Here's one for 1/2 the price.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi1gMay4PTtAhVMvsAKHTLhASgYABAHGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2pUjsNJg-WPIZRDudsQH8V1ZMuP5_-aDyoPqE9nkhKR4gMRj0QcmOnqWLknu9nYAZyFGz-FCgu5wjqrl4CpM&sig=AOD64_2MtL9vyGxBPZBFtLanANXlD1pf2w&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwijvb2y4PTtAhUFLs0KHdl2BtMQ9aACegQIBhBC&adurl=

Clicky
That is 5โ€™ at max extension not going to hold much hose and the fittings also will not fit.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
No, the valterra is a lot more $$$. Like double. I just bolted mine, and used a wing nut through the caps. But mine has a ladder in it and not a sewer hose. Caps were at the same place i got the fence post, lowes.

OK, Here's one for 1/2 the price.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi1gMay4PTtAhVMvsAKHTLhASgYABAHGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2pUjsNJg-WPIZRDudsQH8V1ZMuP5_-aDyoPqE9nkhKR4gMRj0QcmOnqWLknu9nYAZyFGz-FCgu5wjqrl4CpM&sig=AOD64_2MtL9vyGxBPZBFtLanANXlD1pf2w&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwijvb2y4PTtAhUFLs0KHdl2BtMQ9aACegQIBhBC&adurl=
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The vinyl fence posts are great for storing all kinds of stuff. I have 3 mounted vertically in the storage area containing various items.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I drilled a 5/6" hole top and bottom of each end of the vinyl holder, and drop a 1/4" x 6" long bolt into each hole. Not elegant, but simple, cheap, and no collection of moisture.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
marty1300 wrote:
My Loweโ€™s had the post but not the cap, they ordered it for me.
Marty

Thanks for the info.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
My old set had the rain gutter you are using. Lowes and HD had a different brand and shape in stock. I used them to support the sewer hose after setting up. Currently, I purchased plastic 3x4" downspout and cut out one side for the sewer support. I'll keep looking for the old style gutter as it fit well in the fence post when stored.
Pat

Tom_M wrote:
I used a router to cut slots in the bottom to act like a spring. Short screws act as pins that go through holes in the cap to hold in place. A length of vinyl gutter acts as slide out tray.

2010 Ford F-350 SRW

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additional images!
I'm going to order parts through Lowes.
The hangers will be easy to build.
Thanks!!!
Pat

rhagfo wrote:
Jay Pat wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Jay Pat wrote:
Using 5" square plastic post.
Can't find 5.5" plastic caps....
Interested in other ideas for different cap material.
Thanks!
Pat

Is this what you are looking for?? We got ours and post at lowes.

This looks exactly like what I had on the previous rv.
The cap was large enough to put the hinge on inside the cap and still had enough room for the cap to close over the post.
Are your caps 5" or 5.5"?
All I can find are labeled 5" caps.

They are 5" caps, they have a slight modification to the bottom to close.

As to the Valterra A04-5094BK EZ Hose Adjustable Hose Carrier - 50" to 94" it is only 4-1/2" in diameter so most likely going to get the elbow fitting in the tube. ALL of my stinky Slinky parts go in the fence post.

2010 Ford F-350 SRW

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
My Loweโ€™s had the post but not the cap, they ordered it for me.
Marty
Marty

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I used a router to cut slots in the bottom to act like a spring. Short screws act as pins that go through holes in the cap to hold in place. A length of vinyl gutter acts as slide out tray.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN