cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manual Carefree Colorado Awning issue

KangaBunnyRoux
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, My manual awning will not click into the "spring tension - roll up awning mode."

I saw this addressed several times. Danged if I can get search function to give results.

It has a manual Carefree Colorado awning, no motor. It semi worked when I opened meaning I had tension in the spring system, pulled on the fabric lead lines to deploy, etc. The locking arm lugs were toast, and no amount of WD 40, nut buster etc would free them up to lock the arms. Or banging on them I might add. But I had spring tension until I hit the lock button.

With three days of 14 to 21 mph winds coming I decided to retract awning. I lowered the arms, hit "unlock" which memory serves as the point I should get tension in the spring, and the awning rolls up on its own as I hold the fabric guide rope/string/flat black lead.

I got nothing. No tension. I checked and rechecked all other pieces. Locked and unlocked the sliding button. Nothing seemed to unlock and then engage the spring tension to roll up awning.

Wind started picking up, I fought with it for 15 minutes or so, and settled on manually rolling it up, locking the arms to the sides mounted on the class A, and then using a good piece of wire to secure the arms at the top so wind doesn't get underneath and cause a parachute like drag yanking it open.

Am I missing a step? What did I forget or screw up this time? Is there something in the tube I can spray with silicone? Is that maybe "froze up"?

Been campings and deploying awnings for 16 years as a weekender. I am 59 days into full timing and I seem to break something or totally forget how something works every other day. SO I am by no means a Noobie. I am worse, a person who felt he knew his way around an RV and all the systems. Right now I am frustrated and feeling stupid.
12 REPLIES 12

J_E
Explorer
Explorer
Did you talk with Carefree? They are very helpful.
"03 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison. '03 Jayco 3610 RLTS Designer Legacy 5er, (Actually still running)MOR/ryde IS Suspension,TrailerSaver II Air Ride Hitch.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If you are willing or capable to do the investigation and repair work yourself it really is fairly simple. Yes the spring is under tension, but if you have a vice grip pliers it's easy to do.
Look at the ends from the ground while it's still rolled up. The roller tube has a bracket or sleeve that is slipped over the arms of the awning and uses a single screw to keep it from falling off. What you need to do is figure out which of the two springs broke.

Now extend the awning all the way out. Remove that single screw, but DO NOT slide the sleeve off the arms. If you slide that sleeve off the spring will unwind with great force.

Just grab the sleeve and rock it back and forth a bit. the side with the broken spring will wobble whereas the side with the good spring will not.

Put the screw back in to secure the sleeve and go order a replacement spring from Amazon. If you decide to have someone else do the work you will have the spring ready to go.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great to Know! Going forward I hope you get it all fixed in this NEW YEAR.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

KangaBunnyRoux
Explorer
Explorer
Awning held. Looks like we had gusts through 23mph or so. Thankfully the 50 mph gusts have not materialized. Dropped from 72 to about 36 overnight. Talk about a temperature shift. Todays is mainly rain, desperately needed in San Antonio area.

KangaBunnyRoux
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for chiming in folks. Sure glad to get the info on securing the roller tube. May still lose awning tonight. I secured with as much "Thousand mile an hour" tape (reinforced duct tape) to keep the ends from catching air. I whacked on the lever a few times to engage the pin but didn't think to wrangle it more with my fingers to get it to engage. Wind is gusting away now. Just have to ride this out. We dropped 20 degrees in about a half hour. Expected to drop about 15 more over next few hours.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had springs break and there is no way you would not hear that happen. The springs do get old and have loose tension. We've replaced ours once but it's getting to the point again where we are using the awning hook to push up on the roller, it rolls up a little, push again, rolls up more, push again etc until toward the end it finally closes all the way.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
One of the internal springs gave out. It just happened to mine a few weeks ago. To replace the spring you need either

A mobile RV tech

Or two people, a #2 Roberson square drive bit, a #2 Phillips screwdriver, and a vise grip pliers.

Measure the length of the awning tube as there are different springs for different tubes.
Under 8'
8' to 18'
over 18'

Springs are around $125 each on Amazon. here's an example

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
This brand of carefree awning is not carefree IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does sound like the spring has come loose,if you had to roll it up by hand.

By tying the arms together it will have no effect on the awning acting like a parachute and dragging it open. You have to stop the awning roller tube from rotating,with no spring tension that is what it will do.

The way to do this is to install a Awning Lock I have had one for many years and it has worked out well.

There are some homemade ones that may work as well Like this one

Th biggest thing to do is to keep that awning roller tube from turning when it has no spring tension and keep the awning from unfurling,it can be a real mess when it happens while driving.

This did happen to me several years ago on my previous RV,that is why I have a awning lock.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The latch being loose may have un-wound the spring.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

KangaBunnyRoux
Explorer
Explorer
Well my lock unlock lever seems to engage and un engage okay. If you are saying the internal to the tube part may have disconnected...I do think that may be what is happening. I've read horror stories about those springs under tension so wouldn't attempt that on my own. Is this something "whacking it with a hammer might break free? As I said the lever slides and moves the exterior mechanism quite well. But it has no effect on the "engaging tension" aspect I recall it having. At least I think that was what previously provided the tension and retracted the awning. It used to have a lot of tension. Now it is as flaccid as it gets.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is possible that the lever is spinning on the release shaft. You would need to get up to the lever and move it while keeping harp eye on lever and shaft. Some can be fixed by using a self-drilling screw to secure it in place.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker