cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Durability of Command strip hooks and hangers?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering using Command strips to hang some lightweight items in the motor home.

How do they hold up in summer heat (in Tennessee), in a closed up RV? This is assuming the surface prep and installation of the Command strips are done correctly.

I've used adhesive Velcro (just the sticky Velcro, not Command strips) and it comes loose in the heat.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
22 REPLIES 22

lhecksel
Explorer
Explorer
For our park model and for our trailer I ONLY use heavy duty outdoor strips.........they hold well during temperature change. Most show for 10 or 15 pounds.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
In our stick & brick I made a hanger to hold a plastic bag that things are put in at the cash register to carry home. I used the Command strips to monte that bag holder to the cabinet door under the kitchen, used to hold wast paper.
I was concerned if the strips would hold. I mounted the bag holder about a week ago and it's still holding.
I've made about a dozen of the bag holders/hangers.

Dusty

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I think one of the bigger advantage to Command strips is that they can be readily removed or relocated without damaging the surface it's attached to. I've used them in several places and love em. I happiest with the towel racks I put in the bathroom and kitchen where I had spent hours trying to figure out where I needed to drill through the wall and hopefully find a stud to attach screw to.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Sounds like a much better solution than what the twits that owned our Tango did before we bought it.
They ran long screws right through the wall, protruding outside, to hang an ugly decoration that weighed maybe 12 ounces.....

That is exactly what I do NOT want to do.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I'm thinking that the weight limits on the Command Strips are for an item hanging on a wall that doesn't bounce up and down on the open road which adds an inertia load.

Definitely.

I will use much more heavy duty strips and more of them than the specs would require.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Many of that type of adhesive is activated by pressure. So make sure to press really hard. Also many dont like being applied to cold surface temps. If applying in the winter it helps to clean the surface with alcohol and then warm it up with a blow dryer or heat gun.

YES! I used them to hang some large pictures (canvas wraps) in my office at work. The directions say to apply pressure for 1 minute, and preclean the surface with rubbing alcohol. Warming it makes sense, too.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
When the strings broke on one my Day & Night shades I replaced them with curtains from IKEA and used a curtain wire also from IKEA to hang them.

I did not know these existed. That is a great option.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Command hooks in our trailers for years. Never a problem and that's all we use. Even in the bathroom for wet shower towels.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Many of that type of adhesive is activated by pressure. So make sure to press really hard. Also many dont like being applied to cold surface temps. If applying in the winter it helps to clean the surface with alcohol and then warm it up with a blow dryer or heat gun.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been happy with Command Strips in the TT and have been adding a small, short screw until I exhaust my supply...5 more.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I've had them up for 9 years since I bought the trailer, so they've survived multiple 100 degree plus days. Hang the clock the weather center and dog leashes. The weather center is probably the heaviest at 2 or 3 lbs. Also have a couple of those Command plastic bins near the bed for reading glasses and cell phones. We do take down the clock & weather center and empty the bins for travel.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Mine have been there 10 years at least. I may have replaced one.

I hang keys, but also some heavier things (flashlight, umbrella) with no problem. They are attached to wood near the door.

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Be very cautious when applying to vinyl wallpaper. They WILL PULL the vinyl loose from the substrate.

Sounds like a much better solution than what the twits that owned our Tango did before we bought it.
They ran long screws right through the wall, protruding outside, to hang an ugly decoration that weighed maybe 12 ounces.....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com