cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Class C on Truck Chassis?

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Do these exist? Current models on truck rather than van chassis? The smaller the better as long as it has a toilet and holding tanks.;)Thanks!
30 REPLIES 30

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a 1969 chassis mount camper that we got cheap from some friends and used for a few years way back when. I eventulally sold it for a $1.00 bill to a young couple in which the husband was good with old vehicles.

It had one TERRIBLE design flaw - no park gear in that GMC chassis as built by the factory. All I had was the parking brake and turning the front wheels into the curb (if there was a curb) whenever parked on a grade:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
Looks like an amazing rig, but certainly not original...

True they came about earlier but the designation was adopted as a Class "C" CHASSIS MOUNTED CAMPER from the old time fabricators that built them,one of which was a very good friend of mine.He has now passed but he and others in his fab shop built some of them.

It was fun sitting around campfires with them and learning about the early motorized campers.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
IAMICHABOD wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
โ€œSmall Class C on Truck Chassis?โ€

One truck + truck camper = small class C on truck chassis.

Had a friend that we would meet in the desert in the 80's that had one of these.It was built on a crew cab and he made it 4WD,454 and was bullet proof. Sometimes we had to use our Jeeps to find him.

He said that it was the original Class "C" CHASSIS MOUNTED CAMPER.

That I couldn't dispute.It was an amazing rig.

Looks like an amazing rig, but certainly not original...

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:

Had a friend that we would meet in the desert in the 80's that had one of these.It was built on a crew cab and he made it 4WD,454 and was bullet proof. Sometimes we had to use our Jeeps to find him.

He said that it was the original Class "C" CHASSIS MOUNTED CAMPER.

That I couldn't dispute.It was an amazing rig.

Buying A Rental Class C

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Dynamax Isata 5 on a RAM pickup chassis with Cummins/Aisin. 4X4 is a factory option.
Xplorer Package - includes Dual-Pane, Dark-Tinted Frameless Windows; Insulated Cab Curtain; Four Lithium House Batteries; 800W Solar Package; and Insulated Utility Bay with Secondary Tank Heater and Temperature Sensor (N/A 34DS)
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowman9000 wrote:
Snowman9000 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
The one that Snowman900 linked is a Former Rental that was discontinued in 2006. They still may be found,I think I know where there is one.

Here is a LINK to an old post that may help you out.

YouTube Majestic 23P

They had them again recently. Maybe up to 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm pretty sure they had some 3-4 years ago.

They were not made after 2006 or sold by Cruise America.I have been monitoring their website for more than 10 years and they have not had any for sale,some have been sold by previous owners,that may be what you saw, but none have been newer than 2006. If you find one newer I would like to see it.
Buying A Rental Class C

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
shelbyfv wrote:
I see them on E450, wondering if F450 exists. Thinking maybe better handling, engine placement, 4X4 etc. I'm thinking very small, closer to B size.

As you have seen they have the Tiger or Earthroamer but they come with a steep price tag.

Van based chassies are plenty strong, powerful and handle fine for a small MH. If the goal is small, that shorter snout is an advantage for the van based as it keeps the length shorter for the same living space.

The only advantage to going to a pickup chassie is 4x4 but then you also need to adapt it if you want access from the cockpit to the house without going outside, so there is more custom work and it's still not as convenient due to the floor configuration going from the drivers seat to the back.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Snowman9000 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
The one that Snowman900 linked is a Former Rental that was discontinued in 2005. They still may be found,I think I know where there is one.

YouTube Majestic 23P

What you may have seen is This, they sold them from 2016 to 2019

The confusion may come from when they changed out the E series grill and fenders to more closely match the F series.

I'm pretty sure they had some 3-4 years ago.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
If I had pots of money, a Tiger on a crew cab chassis would be my choice of RV. The crew cab could convert to an extra bed in the back seat as needed.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowman9000 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
The one that Snowman900 linked is a Former Rental that was discontinued in 2005. They still may be found,I think I know where there is one.

YouTube Majestic 23P

What you may have seen is This, they sold them from 2016 to 2019

The confusion may come from when they changed out the E series grill and fenders to more closely match the F series.
Buying A Rental Class C

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

YouTube Majestic 23P

Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
My vote is for the Tiger as long as you and your family and your stuff can fit in/on one. Currently built on F350/3500HD chassis. All the good things about a truck (easy to find parts & service, comfortable to drive) plus you've got your small house right there. I have been a happy Tiger owner since 2006.

Sold only from the factory in South Carolina. Used ones are scarce and they usually sell very quickly; demand keeps prices of used ones high. Look for used Tigers on Craigslist or join the Facebook "Tiger Motorhome Owners" group. Once in a while the factory will have a nearly new Tiger on their Inventory page.

Pretty much no two Tigers are exactly alike. Options can be chosen or deleted at the factory and many owners add a lot of stuff later.

Purchasing example: I bought my Tiger CX new in 2006. Ordered the truck options I wanted (8.1 L gas engine, 4x4, LT trim, 6-disc CD player (hey, it was 2006), etc.) and deleted stuff I did not need or want (TV, microwave, air conditioning, generator, etc.). Note that I had already driven a small 4x4 class C for 15 years, so I knew what I liked. All of the purchase process was carried out by phone, internet, and snail mail. I had the finished Tiger delivered to my home in Southern California, which cost less than having me fly one way to SC and drive the Tiger back home. Times have changed, trucks have changed, factory ownership has changed, but as far as I know the purchase process can still occur this way.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Just as tuff as truck chassis IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad