Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Adding a new 120 vac circuit and outlet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Adding a new 120 vac circuit and outlet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Blacklane

New Carlisle, Ohio USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/21 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciated the OP's video until he got to the part where he decided to scrap the RV outlet and use a standard outlet, then proceeded to connect wires to the terminal screws. Using screw connections in a vibration-prone environment is risky, since the screws can loosen. A better choice would be to use the spring-loaded speed connectors in the back of many devices, since those maintain positive pressure in all conditions.

A lot of people think RV outlets are cheap for the RV manufacture, but in fact, they are more expensive but designed and approved for that environment. When properly installed, the wires will not work loose from a self-contained device.

Now I expect a slew of comments of "Well, I had a bad experience with a self-contained outlet..." but almost always that was due to a faulty installation. You can mis-install a hospital-grade device as well. The self-contained device itself is usually very reliable and preferred in a vibration environment.

Foggy

Kalamazoo Mi. U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"maintain positive pressure in all conditions"
Until they don't. With repeated changes in temperature and humidity they WILL fail.

Happy-Trails
Foggy

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/21 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The push in back wire is so cheesy that its almost criminal. Thankfully the code allows wire no larger than 14 gauge and the hole is small enough you cannot get 12 gauge thru it. I refuse to wrap around a screw on an outlet. I buy the commercial/industrial backwire design that you insert the wire and tighten the screw and a knurled or serrated plate is drawn up to clamp the wire inside. If you tighten them properly they won't work loose.

Frankly, every couple of years you should go thru an RV electrical system and re-tighten everything, going so far as to open up transfer switches and other boxes that contain connections to tighten.

If you are interested in not having screws to work loose, use the Hubbell SnapConnect® type receptacles and then use the WAGO connectors to make the connections to the Romex™

https://www.hubbell.com/wiringdevice-kel........evices/SnapConnect-Receptacles/c/2027718

https://www.wago.com/us/lp-221

RV receptacles are designed and certified to be installed without a separate box. They ARE the box. I wished someone made a better version of them however, with quality connections and heavier spring tension contacts for the plugs to engage with. At home I use all commercial stuff that is actually difficult to plug into, but you get good contact.

Charles

* This post was edited 02/08/21 09:00pm by CharlesinGA *

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's another video showing how I did it in my Nash 17k about 2 years or so ago.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Gonefshin

Morehead City NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a separate receptacle in the bathroom for my wife’s hair dryer and curling iron. Ran the wire over to the bay with all the hook ups. I plug into the gfci in the pedestal.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I replaced the convertor/charger, discovered the inbound power hot wire screw was not tight. Loose enough, it wouldn't take much vibration to begin arcing.

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We downsized to. 19’ TT recently and are out in its maiden voyage. One task has been to determine the place best for our portable tower heater. Like the OP we don’t expect to camp in freezing temps. Once home a dedicated circuit will be added to the location we determine. The little portable heater does a great job keeping the small trailer nice and warm.

Thanks for the info

2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Adding a new 120 vac circuit and outlet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.