Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Border Regulations

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/garneau-negative-test-airline-1.5858379
The above regulation takes affect on Jan. 7. This will affect any snowbirds that had their car or rv shipped across the border as Canada is working on applying the test rule to land crossings. I also wonder if any US citizens will be allowed to cross Canada in order to get to Alaska. I expect we will see similar regulations from some US states. N.D already has a rule that requires anyone entering the state to be tested. This does not apply to travelers who are not staying overnight. Unfortunately the Canadian Government did not realize that this regulation is going to cause lots of problems. Stay tuned!
71 REPLIES 71

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
So for those folks who are so willing to endorse the new rules being imposed on returning Snowbirds, if your Federal Government told you to load your families onto train cars so that you could be taken to Virus Protection Facilities for your own safety, would you do it?

YES. Yes, I think you would, but the whole time, as they herded you on board the trains, you'd be shaking your finger and yelling at those of us who refused, accusing us of putting Canadians in danger.

You don't even realize what you are promoting.

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Snowbirds who left the country will have to adhere to the border protocols on return. Its common sense based on science. We dont want a third wave delivered to Canada because some snowbirds who are travelling during a pandemic dont wish to be inconvenienced.
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Ed is correct. Instead of concentrating on getting more vaccine these rules are just a distraction so Trudeau will look like a tuff guy. There is absolutely no evidence that Snowbirds are bringing illness to Canadians. Also flight crews are exempt. Now Blair and King Justin want to cause havoc by testing truck drivers. We have already bankrupted the airlines now he will kill cross border trucking and thousands of manufacturing jobs. It is only getting worse.

The border regulations are based on science..... what sources are your comments based on?
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Ed is correct. Instead of concentrating on getting more vaccine these rules are just a distraction so Trudeau will look like a tuff guy. There is absolutely no evidence that Snowbirds are bringing illness to Canadians. Also flight crews are exempt. Now Blair and King Justin want to cause havoc by testing truck drivers. We have already bankrupted the airlines now he will kill cross border trucking and thousands of manufacturing jobs. It is only getting worse.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ed White: be sure that many of us are lobbying for the same rules at land crossings as airports.

Not nasty, but seeking consistency. $2000 pp for your wait at the border. Welcome home.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
moisheh wrote:
All of the do called rules that Trudeau is forcing on us are ridiculous. If one is flying then a proper test at both ends and quarantine at home are as good as anything Trudeau is implementing. Same for those at land borders.

The problem is that honest people don't think the same as crooks and generally dishonest people.

AS someone in the aviation field I can tell you the problem of fraudulent / forged test certificates is rampant, even here within Canada.

The concept is sound, but how do you prove the negative test result is a genuine article?

How? Reproduce the test after the person arrives back in Canada and hold them in quarantine until the results come back in.

Oh wait, that IS what they are doing....... LOL

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
When you break it all down to bare facts nobody knows what the outcome will be especially politicians.
They're pulled to the left to the right then back again. Surrounded by everybody shouting me, me, me.
All they can really ask of us is to suck it up and take one for the team.
Wear a mask, wash your hand, don't touch your face, keep your distance.

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Moisheh.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Ed White. You will find this hard to believe but I LOVED your post. All of the do called rules that Trudeau is forcing on us are ridiculous. If one is flying then a proper test at both ends and quarantine at home are as good as anything Trudeau is implementing. Same for those at land borders. Many snowbirds are at an age where they worked hard and have had the snowbird lifestyle for many years. Why should they give that up and be too old to travel by the time we are vaccinated. We may as well be living in North Korea. There is zero evidence that these border regs. do any good.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Over 500,000 DEAD and still this pointless argument goes on.
me, me, me!!!

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe how many nasty comments are coming from people back in Canada who are supposed to be compassionate, tolerant, and understanding Canadians, just because they allowed themselves to be bullied by their Government into spending their winter in lock down. We have been on the Mexican Baja near Cabo since November, leading a life that is very close to the normal non-pandemic life, keeping active and healthy, instead of being housebound in the snow and ice in Canada.
I defend the right of those who were bullied into staying home to stay home, but they should be tolerant too, and fully accept that we adults made a different decision. We don't have many years left, and we weren't interested in wasting one of those precious years sitting at home. PLUS, please keep in mind we are NOT breaking any laws - we are guaranteed freedom to travel by our Charter of Rights.
As for the land border crossing rules, we don't see them as particularly problematic. Obtaining the PCR test in the USA will be easy, and even though we think it is completely illogical and un-necessary, we will happily do the test as we cross the border back into Canada, and we will do the other obligatory test ten days later. (Incidentally, Health Canada officials at a House of Commons hearing on Feb 19, admitted that there was no scientific data to back up the vindictive new rules. That should be good fodder for court cases against the Government like the one launched by JCCF.).
As most people now know, worldwide cases of Covid are PLUNGING, and if things stay on the present trajectory, the rules will have to be very different when we leave to return to Canada in later April or early May. By that time, at the present rate of decline, the infection levels will be miniscule.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Canada and the northern US states are following the โ€œscienceโ€ while Florida is not. Restaurants are at 100% (plexiglass barriers) and optional outside dining at most. Houses are selling within hours of listing at absurd prices. Schools have been open since September with on line or in person. The 3 SE FL counties #s are double the rest of the state (thank you NYers) and still Florida has a low % of deaths unlike northern states that have killed thousands of businesses.

*People 74+ started getting the vaccine in January and now itโ€™s available for 64+, including some snowbirds. I had no reaction to either Murdina shot. Enjoying the sun which increases my vitamin D.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Canadaโ€™s new travel restrictions at land borders come into effect.

These new restrictions were inevitable.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Monaramblee wrote:
So the snowbirds who cleverly skirted the closed border will be inconvenienced on their way home? Boohoo! says one who stayed home:)
Yeah, I stayed home too. I have ENORMOUS sympathy for those clever people who broke the rules and are now paying the price getting home.

Playing my violin right now for them.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman