cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gen Y vs. Reese Goose Box

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
This would be on a 2020 Grand Design Solitude 35' and 2017 Ram 3500 DRW.

Looking for thoughts on these two options to replace the factory 1621 King Pin and Curt Hitch.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.
15 REPLIES 15

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great!!! If/when we get a 5ver this is what I want to use to tow it with as well.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Got the Goose Box installed. Install was pretty straight forward. When it was delivered I had it loaded right into the bed of the truck and unboxed it from there. Using a system of blocks and trailer landing gear was able to bolt it up and align the bolts without asking a buddy for help muscling the 160 pounds around.

Quality looks good and trailer tows great behind it on a quick test run. Looking forward to a longer trip to give it a better test. I don't miss manhandling the Curt hitch in and out of the bed, that's for sure.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with a Goosebox but I'm over their highest capacity pin weight of 4,000#. I would want to follow the Gen Y more I commit.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:

Looks great, what brand kit did you get?
Thanks

Roadmaster kit for 7k axles.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Leaf-Spring-Suspension/Roadmaster/RM-2460.html

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
work2much wrote:
Thank you for al the responses, much appreciate the time you spent helping my decision.

I have decided to order a Reese 20k Goosebox and associated ball/chain hardware.

Yesterday I installed a shock kit on the trailer so I am anticipating a smoother ride overall once the hitch is installed.

Cheers!

Looks great, what brand kit did you get?
Thanks

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Iโ€™ve been using a Reese GooseBox on my 2014 Cyclone 4000 now for a couple of years. I like it and would not go back to a 5er hitch. As mentioned the only draw back is the Gen Y has not been excepted by Lippert to not void your warranty. I like the Gen Y over the GooseBox because you donโ€™t have to deal with airing up the hitch. Some have had problems losing air during travels, I was one of them. I would definitely consider the Gen y now as Iโ€™m out of warranty anyway.

You may want to look at the FaceBook โ€œGooseBox owners groupโ€. There are lot of folks using GooseBox and some with Gen Y that can help with truck and RV information.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for al the responses, much appreciate the time you spent helping my decision.

I have decided to order a Reese 20k Goosebox and associated ball/chain hardware.

Yesterday I installed a shock kit on the trailer so I am anticipating a smoother ride overall once the hitch is installed.

Cheers!

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert does not void the warranty with the reese that would be a major fact in my choice

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reese and Lippert are in bed together, so the GooseBox will not void your Lippert frame warranty. I've read quite a few reviews and experiences on multiple forums - everyone seems happy with their GooseBox but I've read several reviews where folks had issues with and replaced their Gen-Y (which will void the frame warranty, anyway).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Goose Box on our new Pinnacle. I already knew it was approved by Lippert when we bought it last spring but the dealer insisted on calling Jayco before he would install it. No problem. The Goose Box has been available since 2012 if I remember right and you will find very few complaints. I've had all kinds of hitches thru our rv career and the Goose Box is by far the easiest to hook up and leaves my bed clear when I remove the 5 pound ball. Our last hitch was a Hensley Trailer Saver BD3, an absolutely great hitch, but I could no longer remove it without help. The ride we get with the Pinnacle, our truck and the Goose Box is the best we have had and this is fifth wheel number 6 for us.

I think you will find the Gen-Y is not approved and Lippert/GD will tell you it will void your warranty. I'm betting this is because Lippert has a financial stake in the Goose Box. We do use safety chains with ours but no big deal with the puck system in our truck.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Watch using a goose neck box on Lippert frames. They will void warranty if you look at them sideways. And a ball hitch will require safety chains.

Ken

The Reese goosebox is the only one that I am aware of that is approved to use on a Lippert frame.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Watch using a goose neck box on Lippert frames. They will void warranty if you look at them sideways. And a ball hitch will require safety chains.

Ken

You will have to confirm but I believe at least the Reese is Lippert approved.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot