cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard definition tv

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
Well it’s after the first now does anybody out there know if the standard tv signal has been turned off from direct tv? My Rv is presently in the storage lot under a canopy so I can’t access direct tv to check.
32 REPLIES 32

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimR 1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

So as I understand things my H24-100 will work with my existing 18 inch antenna or the Kingdome.

This is also with the receiver and I assume that would need to be used inline.

DTV SUP-2400 “B Band Converter (BBC) Module”
(for Ka-Lo band up conversion)

So one day I will need to upgrade to HD and get a Traveler antenna or a new dish that I aim or stay in one place that has good WiFi.

What is the future of the carryout antennas? I could get one of those although none of those have HD for DTV as I understand it now.

I do appreciate your help here on this forum, when I call DTV their push is to upgrade and or sell something, also seems harder to get a DTV local satellite provider.
So far the D12 is still working.

Thank You

JimR

I believe the time for the carryout/dome antenna and DTV has come and gone (gone long ago when no HD was available). Unless DISH makes some major changes to their service the same antenna is fully functionable and receiving full HD. It does have limitations as to the type receiver it can use and can be problematic if you want to use more than 1 receiver, but it is a good option for many DISH users.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
My RF Mogul dish works great for DTV HD.

As does the Trav'ler which is less expensive and used by 25 times (more or less) as many RVers as the RF Mogul (the former MotoSAT folks).
I like both antennas but to make the most of an RF Mogul you have to be willing to work on the antenna yourself as there are very few dealers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My RF Mogul dish works great for DTV HD.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies.

So as I understand things my H24-100 will work with my existing 18 inch antenna or the Kingdome.

This is also with the receiver and I assume that would need to be used inline.

DTV SUP-2400 “B Band Converter (BBC) Module”
(for Ka-Lo band up conversion)

So one day I will need to upgrade to HD and get a Traveler antenna or a new dish that I aim or stay in one place that has good WiFi.

What is the future of the carryout antennas? I could get one of those although none of those have HD for DTV as I understand it now.

I do appreciate your help here on this forum, when I call DTV their push is to upgrade and or sell something, also seems harder to get a DTV local satellite provider.
So far the D12 is still working.

Thank You

JimR

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
SD is working fine for me at home.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
My ancient DTV SD receiver and 18 inch antenna is currently receiving from the 101 just fine.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
A better question is will the 18" dish work once they terminate SDTV.
That dish works on 101 but not 99 or 103 (Wrong bandwidth).

(Antennas are kind of a thing with me.. NOT for Sat TV but for other stuff I sometimes build 'em)

As long as DTV is broadcasting "something" from the 101 satellite the 18" dish will still work, as will a dome. The 101 satellite use the KU band now and will continue to broadcast on that same band if they dropped SD and added HD or 4K or any other programming of their choice.
When/if that happens you would need an HD receiver to receive programming, however.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill,

Given what you said I suppose DTV could shift stations to different satellites perhaps for some benefit like more 4K programs? Or other non TV content.

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A better question is will the 18" dish work once they terminate SDTV.
That dish works on 101 but not 99 or 103 (Wrong bandwidth).

(Antennas are kind of a thing with me.. NOT for Sat TV but for other stuff I sometimes build 'em)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the H series receivers are fully backward compatible to SD programming. The HD receiver can receive SD but an SD receiver cannot receive HD.
WHEN/IF DTV drops SD broadcast from the 101 satellite they "should" broadcast some amount of programming in HD from 101. With the H series receiver you would suddenly be able to watch DTV with a dome in HD! The only question is what channels will be available. DTV previously listed a small number of channels that would be available but, to my knowledge, no one has a complete list. NO NETWORKS is almost a certainty but the rest remains a big question mark.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FWIW We use the HR44 at home and in the RV. All of the recorded shows move with the receiver and recording continues in the RV when the dish is up and everyting is HD.

When we drive out of a spot beam the locals have to be changed...

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The HR24 will work. The HR44 requires SWM input so a converter will be needed.

However per above it's unknown what will be available on the 101 satellite if/when DTV drops SD transmission. And I say if/when because DTV is just so transparent about this - NOT.

Note: The HR24 can be configured for SWM (Single Wire Multiplex) and can receive up to 2 channels. The HR44 supports 5 channels.

Bob

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Hello all saw this thread and looks like there is a lot of knowledge here; I have a couple of questions.

I have the following receivers from DTV

MDL D-11
MDL D-12
MDL H24-100
MDL HR-44-200 DVR

The D-12 is the official one in use for DTV but the D-11 works as well.
The H24-100 and the HR-44-200 are not in service but were in use at the house that I no longer have.

As stated the D-12 is in service with a Kingdome or an 18 inch dish depending on location.

DTV has been emailing me to get a new access card but will not send one to me where I am at in the RV, but that is another story. The last email that I received did state a date of January 11th. I did call and was informed that my equipment was out of date and I need a new receiver and that at some time in the future I would receive an error message on the TV. The receiver would need to be installed by a service person for $49.00.

So my question is:

Will the HR-24-100 or the HR-44-200 work with the 18 inch satellite dish or the Kingdome?

Thank You

JimR