cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup cam - not sure what to do with it

dedmiston
Santa brought me this backup camera for Christmas, but I honestly have no idea what to do with it.

We have a 44.5' long fifth wheel toy hauler and a long bed pickup.

The camera came with a long RCA cable, but I doubt it's long enough to stretch the length of the fiver. And even if it did, I don't know what it's supposed to connect to.

My dash has a display for the nav and entertainment, but I doubt it supports this kind of video. The backup cam on my tailgate displays on my rear view mirror.

I don't think I want to add another display to my cab though. We use our RV a ton (we estimated that we've spent close to a year in it since we bought it five years ago), but I don't know that a large video display would really be worth it.

The cherry on top is that the box didn't even come with any instructions.

I'm rambling here...

I guess my questions are:

1. Can anyone tell what the intended use of this camera is?

2. What are my application options for such a long trailer?

3. Have any of you installed a camera like this, and if so, how did you do it?

The Amazon product page shows that this was pretty inexpensive. I have a hunch it might be cheaper to go with something else instead of applying expensive hacks to make this one useable.

I guess that leads into another question.

4. If you have a backup cam system, what do you have? I don't think wireless is an option for me over this distance (fiver + truck).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
9 REPLIES 9

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a BC-20 wireless rear camera on the back of my 39' 5th wheel. I also have the Garmin extension cable that brings the signal to the front of the 5th wheel before going wireless to the cab of the truck.
The image displays on my Garmin GPS. I like this set up because it does not require a dedicated monitor/display for the camera.
The system works well enough, however I find the camera distracting when driving down the road. I seldom use it. I prefer to just use my mirrors. I am just not a rear camera kind of guy!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
As it came it certainly will need some additional purchases to make it usable for your situation. Up to you if you want to utilize it, probably better to start out with a complete multi-camera system as adding another single camera is really not worth the effort IMO.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave, it says the camera comes with 19 INCHES of cable, so definitely not long enough.

As far as intended uses, you could mount this on the back of your 5er, then run a pair of coax cables or other suitable cable back to the tailgate. Typically you would mount this on the back edge of the roof, then run the cables along the roof and drop down by the pin box.

Then you get the appropriate adapter cable to connect into the truck's tailgate harness, so that the new camera effectively replaces the factory tailgate camera. This keeps your reverse trigger in place and uses the factory display in the truck.

I never thought it was worth the trouble to mount one on our 34' TT, but am considering a set up like this for the TC. Since the tailgate if off anyway, the factory connector is easily available to accept a substitute camera. Seems counterintuitive since the trailer was a lot longer, but we find ourselves taking the TC place we never would have considered with the TT.

If you decide you don't want to use it, let me know and I'll take it off your hands ๐Ÿ™‚

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
TenOC wrote:
Has anyone used a WIRELESS backup camera with a 36 foot plus 5th wheel or does one need a WIRED system?

The Fusion system that came with our new FW is wireless. Works very well.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dedmiston
TenOC wrote:
Has anyone used a WIRELESS backup camera with a 36 foot plus 5th wheel or does one need a WIRED system?

I thought about wireless, but it's way out of range for Bluetooth, so it would require a WiFi connection and possibly even a repeater in the middle. WiFi is too finicky though, and I don't want to have to fuss with connections when I'm backing up.

I actually have a WiFi backup cam on my off-road car, because the CanAm has a huge rear profile and it's impossible to see over the rear. That WiFi cam is amazing when it works, but it's a constant source of disappointment.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Email replied. Good luck

dedmiston
guidry wrote:
I use one of those on my 36โ€™ fifth wheel trailer with a few inexpensive add ones. Pm me if you want the list and include your email. I have a pic of all the items needed I can send you.

Thanks Cajun. I sent you a PM with my email address.

Much appreciated.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of those on my 36โ€™ fifth wheel trailer with a few inexpensive add ones. Pm me if you want the list and include your email. I have a pic of all the items needed I can send you.