Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Comparing New Tires for trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Comparing New Tires for trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had that size on my old Prowler. The OEM LR was only "B"... I replaced them with the same size, but in a LR "D" rating and just having the extra load cap on them and extra PSI on them. I got them from etrailer and I think they were the "Karrier" name??

Never a flat and I loaded that old Prowler to it's max, if not a bit over and never a problem..

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kenda Karrier
LRD are on super sale on etrailer.com right now. $40 off
Have 14” Karriers on 2 different trailers. 1 sits outside 24/7 and now about 5 years old and no signs of weathering. They are mostly or 100% in the shade in a cool wet environment though. Knock on wood they’ll be good a while longer.

Other set is stored inside on boat trailer. They’re 3-4 years old now and also in great shape.
This is my first round of Kendas but I believe they’re very good quality.
Get em before the sale is up.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you'll be happy with the Carlisle tires.
Previous trailer had 2 sets in 10 years without a single issue.
Current trailer is running Trailer King RST D rated, so far no complaints.

Key is to run them to max psi and check tire pressure before each trip.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm happy with Carlisle HD. I have them on my TT for 5 years now and one utility trailer for 2.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of the 2 choices I would go with the Carlisle HD, Carlisle ST tires have improved over time. Goodyear and Maxxis ST tires are better choices, keep in mind that ST tires need to be aired up to max psi for best results. Secondly, they are really only good for up to 5 years, that is when we always got a new set, never had any blowouts or even a flat with our ST tires, and yes we went above the 65mph threshold as needed. Main failure points for any ST tire is improper inflation and overloading, common occurrence since manufacturers barely put enough axle and tire under most of their rigs to begin with.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those brands are about the same. Just be sure to get the same LOAD rating or heavier than what you have. If you didn't have any issues before with blowouts you won't now either.

Trailer tires age out before they wear out even if you use the trailer a lot. Better to go with the cheap brand and replace them in 4 years than spend for a premium brand and try to get 7 years out of them.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Carlisle HD as long as their not the standard worthless Carlisle tires. As others have suggested I would go with a larger size 13" tire if you have room with the highest weight rating. It sucks to have a flat on the way to a camping trip.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Those brands are about the same. Just be sure to get the same LOAD rating or heavier than what you have. If you didn't have any issues before with blowouts you won't now either.

Trailer tires age out before they wear out even if you use the trailer a lot. Better to go with the cheap brand and replace them in 4 years than spend for a premium brand and try to get 7 years out of them.

I am going to disagree with this logic. The newer premium ST tires are better built, higher speed rated, and IMO, worth the price difference. I have 8 years on my Providers that came OEM. Although not worn out, still look great, plan to replace this Spring. E-trailer sells them, and gives a good review, why they are top rated.

I would still get the premium tires, even if I chose to replace every 4 yrs.

Jerry

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/21 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mitch, I too have used eTrailer tires and am pleased with price, service, endurance etc.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan...not saying your thought of replacement is wrong. My disagreeing, is only a difference of opinion. [emoticon]

I notice that another opinion was posted at 7:10 last evening. The count went up, but no post?? Can we guess who that will be? Lol, we will likely see, later today, maybe tomorrow, just above my post.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Comparing New Tires for trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.