cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avoiding Low clearance routes

Thekutman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! My name is kutter. I am new to the forum and new to RVing. My family and I have recently purchase a 5th wheel, 35ft length and 13.5ft tall. I am not new to trailers or towing, but have never owned a trailer tall enough to worry about clearance issues. We are planning a trip across country, pretty direct to Tennessee from California. My question is how does an experienced traveler plan their route, checking in advance, for routes that may have clearance issues? I have seen a few apps online, which I donโ€™t mind purchasing, but wanted some insight on the most accurate, easiest to use, that you guys prefer! Canโ€™t wait to get to know the RVing community, Thank You in advance for your help!
23 REPLIES 23

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
My biggest problem is with the GPS or my own brain fart, turning onto a residential street with trees.
I once went into a gas station with a close overhead canopy. My truck reached the first pump without the trailer getting under it. While filling, I was eyeballing the clearance. This other guy goes "Awe, you'll clear it." No, I backed out.
JK

Both true. I actually won't use GPS while towing. I don't have the more expensive units that can take clearances into account, and I don't trust the in-vehicle system in my truck not to take some weird turn along the route. I write out directions before I hit the road.

On the gas station front, I will also say that I pre-determine those as well. We are 55' bumper to bumper, so not every gas station is a good option for us. When travelling longer distances, I have no interest in pulling on and off highways in hopes of finding one. So, I use Google satellite images to pre-determine my gas stops. I will often do the same for meal stops as well. It's a bit over the top for some, but I don't mind doing it, and it makes for a much smoother trip, for me, when I know exactly where I'm going.

I do this as well with the gas stations, I generally look for a Loves/Pilot/Flying J/TA/Petro station as even their auto sides tend to be big rig friendly. Many Sheetz stations are also an option as are many Racetrack locations. If you have to use a smaller station look for one with pumps parallel to the street rather than perpendicular.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Interstates, US highways and State routes are the way to go. I've never been turned back by a low clearance and I've all over the US. BTW, for peace-of-mind get yourself a Motor Carrier's Atlas at any truck stop. Trucker routes are highlighted and you'll never have a problem.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have 14 seasons & at least 1800 nights behind us. We make an effort to stay OFF the interstates. We have never had to back away from a bridge with our 12'10" air draft though we have done the middle of the road a few times just to be sure.

The biggest risk is in the CG. We have backed away from a gas station overhang a very few times. Anywhere selling diesel will have a high enough roof if there is not a remote diesel pump somewhere.

Height clearance is simply not an issue to sweat over.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a full-timer for almost 7 years, 46 states, over 65,000 miles.

I NEVER trust any electronic device to make my routes. I do run the route with my GPS the day, or a few days, before I travel. I also take that information into account as I plan my route with software, and print out my route and turn instructions before I start. I also know where I will stop for fuel and food, and look at those stops with Google maps. I'm 62 total feet long from the nose of the 22' long pickup to the end of the back of the rack on the rear of the trailer where we carry a sewer tote.

Like Mickeyfan0805 - that may be too much for some folks.

I also step through the GPS route - Turn by Turn - I haven't seen a GPS that does not allow you to do that. It's a powerful tool, with the ability to cause great damage if you do not know how to use all the features.

While towing I have TWO RV Gps running. A Garmin set on auto re-calc and auto zoom. One reason is that I prefer the traffic information from Garmin. If my planned route in the Garmin shows me going under low bridges, over bridges where I'm over the load limit, etc - I look at each one individually.

The second GPS is a Rand RV GPS. It is set to show ONE MILE ahead, and NO AUTO-RECALC. I want to see the turns and intersections coming up in the next minute. The GPS does show me how many miles to the next turn/ change of highway. If I miss a turn I do not want it telling me to turn immediately. I'll go to a safe place to stop and look at alternatives.

The GPS does not tell me where to go, my route. It advises me. The decision is mine, and there better be a DANGED GOOD reason for me to follow a suggestion from the GPS that conflicts with the planned route.

This might be more than some people want to do.

But I strongly advise everyone, if something seems weird or fishy. Stop. Look. Research. All that will cost you is a little time. Which is vastly cheaper than any likely damage or such.

Last but far from least - my wife understand my system. How to search for information online (it we have a cell signal - which is surprisingly unavailable in places in EVERY state we have traveled/ camped except Rhode Island). She also understand how to program the two GPS units. She is an important part of our travel process.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
My biggest problem is with the GPS or my own brain fart, turning onto a residential street with trees.
I once went into a gas station with a close overhead canopy. My truck reached the first pump without the trailer getting under it. While filling, I was eyeballing the clearance. This other guy goes "Awe, you'll clear it." No, I backed out.
JK

Both true. I actually won't use GPS while towing. I don't have the more expensive units that can take clearances into account, and I don't trust the in-vehicle system in my truck not to take some weird turn along the route. I write out directions before I hit the road.

On the gas station front, I will also say that I pre-determine those as well. We are 55' bumper to bumper, so not every gas station is a good option for us. When travelling longer distances, I have no interest in pulling on and off highways in hopes of finding one. So, I use Google satellite images to pre-determine my gas stops. I will often do the same for meal stops as well. It's a bit over the top for some, but I don't mind doing it, and it makes for a much smoother trip, for me, when I know exactly where I'm going.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
noteven wrote:

Also when you have planned a route with 2 inches to spare under a particular bridge BEWARE of fresh paving under the bridge ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted signs are typically a few inches lower than actual clearance so if you bounce a little, you don't hit. Also paving projects include updates to the signs (you will often see where on an overlay project, they gap out the underpass and mill out that area before paving so it doesn't reduce the clearance. Incorrect signs are an extremely rare concern as it will be quickly apparent when local trucks start hitting the bridge.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

noteven wrote:
If you choose a "truck/RV" GPS - cruise around with it in "OMG!" mode tow vehicle only for a while so you understand what it is on about when it is in warning mode.

Also when you have planned a route with 2 inches to spare under a particular bridge BEWARE of fresh paving under the bridge ๐Ÿ™‚

Can't always go by those numbers posted on warning signs...

The RR bridge around the corner from my office has a posted clearance of 12'2"...

There is at least a dozen big rigs (box trucks X 52') that go under it daily, all have about an inch or two to spare.... You can tell the new guys to the area as the hold everything up and are very couscous , and the regulars don't even slow anymore.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you choose a "truck/RV" GPS - cruise around with it in "OMG!" mode tow vehicle only for a while so you understand what it is on about when it is in warning mode.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Truckers Atlas, Good Sam Trip planner, Garmin for RV, Googles Map and homework. Been on the road for 11 yrs. doing the byways as much as we can. Only way to see small town USA. Never had to turn around or back up for low clearance.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Unless we know the backroads in question, we stay on truck routes. We use the tried and proven paper map system....Truckers Atlas! No incorrect downloads, cell phone failures, ect. at the most inopportune times! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://youtu.be/USu8vT_tfdw
For your viewing pleasure.
What they said, also a good idea to have your height on your visor in case you forget or someone else is driving. Watch the trees also, they can lean into the roadways if you in small towns. Stick to the truck routes. If in dought, go slow and have a spotter or go around. Its not worth it, see video above.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Thekutman
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I am overwhelmed at the support and response! I will be looking into a few of these avenues as precautions! I have spoke with the resort where I booked our first set of reservations, they said all limbs clear. I will do this with the other resorts as well! Thank You everyone who responded!

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I find that Railroads overpasses will often be low overhead clearance. The access to one campground we used had a 13'6" overhead RR. Tree limbs are a problem to deal with. One KOA in CA we stayed at had to cut limbs the size of my arm in diameter to be able to back into the lot they assigned me at the front office.

GPS and Trucker Atlas do not list low tree limbs.