cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out drifts open

todd_j
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 Sierra by Forest River 335QBQ. It has 4 slides. The slide out on the fifth wheel end (bedroom) drifts open while the camper is just sitting there. It is connected to power. The slide outs do not work independent of each other. As one reaches it's final position the next starts to move. It's not like a could block a valve to the affected slide and stop it.

Any ideas????
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has coroplast closing off the undercarriage. If you are insulated, any fluid leak could be masked or absorbed by the insulation batting. There is a feed and return line for each cylinder with 3 threaded fittings for each. So that is 6 per cylinder. If only 1 slide is slipping, then that is a starting point. Also, in a sealed system, if you are low on fluid, it is going someplace, indicating a certain leak. Remember to check the level with everything retracted, including your hydraulic landing gear. Shouldnโ€™t be any air in an already operating system unless it was opened, or a worn part/seal. Good luck!
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

Itโ€™s not what youโ€™ve done that commands respect, itโ€™s what you do.

Happy Campinโ€™

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
todd j wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I'll try purging air out this weekend. I know it's not an external leak on cylinder because no sign of fluid anywhere. Could be an internal leak. I'll see what happens after I cycle the slides in and out a few times.

That's what our was internal on the bedroom. But they both would creep out
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Page 6 of this manual from Lippert will help your further.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/slideouts/ccd_0001617.pdf

todd_j
Explorer
Explorer
ChuckSteed wrote:
Hyd slide out creeping out when closed is caused by

1. Air in system. Cycle slides in and out 3 to 5 times to purge air
2. Internal or external leak on slide actuator
3. Hydac solenoid valve .. only one for hyd slides nit fully closed in manual override mode CW) or sticking valve

DO NOT use a bar or anything else to keep hyd slides closed .. 2000 psi is used to keep slides closed or open and if leak is internal on actuator your can tear up your slide by locking in place

Thanks for your reply. I'll try purging air out this weekend. I know it's not an external leak on cylinder because no sign of fluid anywhere. Could be an internal leak. I'll see what happens after I cycle the slides in and out a few times.

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Hyd slide out creeping out when closed is caused by

1. Air in system. Cycle slides in and out 3 to 5 times to purge air
2. Internal or external leak on slide actuator
3. Hydac solenoid valve .. only one for hyd slides nit fully closed in manual override mode CW) or sticking valve

DO NOT use a bar or anything else to keep hyd slides closed .. 2000 psi is used to keep slides closed or open and if leak is internal on actuator your can tear up your slide by locking in place

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
No idea, and that's only my guess as to what could be wrong. You could also have a leaking seal, damaged hose, etc. Lippert made several types of slide systems for Forest River, I'm guessing yours is hydraulic because of the way they all the slides work together.

Maybe start on the Forest River Forum and see if other owners maybe had/fixed a simliar problem.

todd_j
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the check valve? In the pump?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
As the hydraulic pump moves fluid through the system that causes the slide to retract, there is a check valve that stops fluid from flowing the opposite way once the pump stops. Not sure I would call it "residual pressure" although I think you get that the effect is the same.

todd_j
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Sounds like a hydraulic check valve is letting fluid seep by and allowing the slide to extend. The quick fix is to get a pair of these locking poles to keep the slide closed.

Our last Terry came from the factory with these poles to take the pressure off the mechanism keeping the slide closed when going down the road. Just have to remember to remove them prior to opening the slide.

Are you saying the residual pressure is causing it to move? Seems like the pressure would equalize at some point and movement would stop.
I agree locking poles, Pogo sticks or some other type of pole will stop movement. it did not do this when we first bought it. The rear slide (2) is a bunkhouse so there is no way to get back there once slides are pulled in.

I've never had any trouble with it moving while traveling.

JIMNLIN wrote:
A previous 5th wheel trailer we had would creep out. Didn't notice it sitting till the 1st trip when I checked the outside mirror. Lordy it was out about 10" or so. I broke the wife's broom stick off to the right length where it would wedge in at the top/center inside the trailer and hold the slide in. After the trip I made a better pogo stick. Years back many 5er trailers with a slide or tip out came with a pogo stick from the factory to keep the slide out in while traveling.

We had a 1998 Holiday Rambler Alumalite that came with 2 slide out enforcing bars that had a tensioner built in.

There was a piece of steel plate on the backside of the slide room that these set on

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We use two pogo sticks to keep the slide in even tho it is electric.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A previous 5th wheel trailer we had would creep out. Didn't notice it sitting till the 1st trip when I checked the outside mirror. Lordy it was out about 10" or so. I broke the wife's broom stick off to the right length where it would wedge in at the top/center inside the trailer and hold the slide in. After the trip I made a better pogo stick. Years back many 5er trailers with a slide or tip out came with a pogo stick from the factory to keep the slide out in while traveling.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a hydraulic check valve is letting fluid seep by and allowing the slide to extend. The quick fix is to get a pair of these locking poles to keep the slide closed.

Our last Terry came from the factory with these poles to take the pressure off the mechanism keeping the slide closed when going down the road. Just have to remember to remove them prior to opening the slide.