Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone rent out their camper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone rent out their camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Sorry about you alls rental problems. I have 3 and one guy has been in there 30+ years, one over 20, and the last has been in there 4 years without a problem. Had a problem years ago and in 30 days the sheriff put them out. You need to spot problems early and also take care of your property. You are a slum lord you reap what you sow. I won't rent my RV---its mine for me.

The house and property I bought to live in was used as a "rental" for the 30yrs before I bought it..

I ended up fully gutting and fully renovating it, Only two items that were of good enough shape to not replace was the bathroom toilet and the nicely made hand made kitchen cabinets.. Everything else had to go, it was worn out, damaged and plain ugly.. Wallboard had too many thick coats of paint, all the woodwork had to many coats of paint, had old worn out carpets and flooring, even the basement floors had stuff written in paint all over the place (took yrs of removing graffiti off the concrete)..

It was so bad that I was able to buy the house and property for 1/4 the market value..

Rental = Drive it like you stole it.

If one is to get into the RV rental game, then you need to buy a cheap wornout piece of garbage rotted out RV to use a rental because after one trip a new one WILL look like it was 20 yrs old..

TwistedGray

Monterey Bay, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outdoorsy.com is a site that will give you an idea of what people charge for their units, and it will walk you through the pricing structure. It's AirBnB for RV's.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Grossing $2000.00 a month is not an unreasonable figure. A RV will rent for at least a conservative $100.00 a day. Rent it for An entire month or 30 days produces $3000.00. rent it for 3 out of 4 weeks give you $2K.
The question is $2K gross enough to turn a profit after expenses?

Of course, if you are renting it to someone for a month, they are going to expect a substantial discount over the nightly rate. Kind of like when you see a $50/n RV park (theoretically $1500/month) but the monthly rate is $600/month.

If you are doing multiple rentals per month, getting to even 50% occupancy for the month is going to be a challenge as many will only want a weekend and even longer term rentals, are difficult to arrange if rental periods overlap.

This of course is ignoring the seasonality. In most places, there is a relatively short 3-4 month busy season (which typically is when you want to use your RV anyway). During the off season you likely will have closer 0% occupancy.

While it's not impossible for a stray month to hit $2k, if you want to run an RV rental business, far better to develop a business plan, then go out and buy RVs specifically to rent out.

If you are handy, I could see someone living on a large rural property, watching the used RV ads and picking up small trailers on the cheap with cash purchases. If your average trailer is say $5k and you do all the maintenance, if you are grossing even $5k/yr on that trailer, it may be a viable business. At $100/n and 50 rental nights per year, that's $5k/yr it's grossing. Add say $1000 for insurance and advertising and $1000 for maintenance per year and they only need to last 2yrs and they are paid off with a little extra profit. You probably won't get rich doing it but it could be a hobby that turns a bit of profit.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My boss (an attorney) has several clients for whom he does multi-million $$ deals. When those clients need an FED or something similarly done that is not sexy, that work gets passed to me.

I've billed more than a few hours in the past year or two representing those big clients (with nice RV's) that thought they could make a few $$ renting the RV, and have subsequently had problems, either damage, not paying the final bill, etc....all run of the mill problems and not (so far) anything hugely catastrophic, but enough to convince me that, if I ever get another RV, I won't be renting it out.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I can't recall ever knowing anyone who said, "We did it, and it was fantastic.".

A younger couple (mid-30’s?) from our church wanted a motorhome but with a couple of little ones and a mortgage that just wasn’t in the cards. They spoke to several other families in the church and decided to go for it, spreading the use between families.

After several years it’s still working really well for them all.

There’s several threads about owning a former rental unit and from what I’ve seen the vast majority agree it’s a great deal.

I suspect it’s kinda like the Ford V10 spitting out spark plugs or Pinto’s exploding deal, yes it happened to a FEW vehicles, percentage-wise, but the loudness / popularity of the horror stories outweigh the happy folks who have no issues and stayed quiet.

I’ve overnighted in rest areas a dozen plus times a year for 30+ years with not a single issue, if you believe some people you’d die the first night........

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Grossing $2000.00 a month is not an unreasonable figure. A RV will rent for at least a conservative $100.00 a day. Rent it for An entire month or 30 days produces $3000.00. rent it for 3 out of 4 weeks give you $2K.
Only in a perfect world would you get 30 days of rental income in a month, 12 months a year, and the world is far from perfect. In most places there would only be demand for the rental a few months a year. Then you have to account for down days when the rig is returned and you do a turn around on cleaning, setup etc. Seldom will you have the luxury of the next renter wanting it exactly on the day you will have it ready from the previous renter. You will have to account for the fact sometimes people will not return on time, and if you don't have the trailer available you will have a VERY big problem when the next renter shows up at your door.

In the supposed example the people are using a rental company to obtain the renters. They will take a fee for the service, probably around 33 to 50% of the rent. So you get 50 to 70% of the income along with 100% of the depreciation and risk. Like others have posted, if it was so lucrative why haven't savvy business people already saturated the market?

While I would not consider doing it. I think it could be viable.
You first have to see the RV as just an object vs. your personnel living space.
I used $100/day just to keep the numbers simple. I trust most RV's rent for more than $100.00/day.
There are people renting RV's using a "Air B&B" style business plan.
As well as El Monte and others that rent motor homes.
There are plenty of existing RV rental businesses.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought our first TT (26ft Sportsmen bunkhouse) in 2002 for the sole purpose of renting it. The business model was I supply the TT, the rental business rents it, and we split the $ 50/50. I was responsible for all maintenance and insurance. The goal was to use the $ to pay it off in 4 years and sell it for profit. We paid it off in 3 years, took it out of the rental program and kept it for our personal use for another 6 years.

As far as damages, the renter provided a credit card and signed a liability agreement stating all damage repairs will be charged to the CC with a $2000 limit. The business owner would put a $2K hold on the CC before the TT left the lot. Anything over $2K was covered by insurance. The only non-repairable damage I had was a kid with a crayon marking the wall. The dinette booth cushions flattened out and became uncomfortable. All repairs and cleaning was done by the business. I never saw anything. I do know a pass through door needed to be replaced, the freezer door needed to be replaced and the porch light lens needed to be replaced a few times. It was always clean with full propane bottles whenever we saw it. I had to buy a new battery about 2 years into it.

This unit rented well during the warm months, about 50%, but not much during winter. If it wasn't for the rodeo and race track it wouldn't have rented at all in the winter.

Would I do it again? Not the FW I have now. No Way!!!!

If the same guy was running the same business model today, I might consider buying a used TT just to see if I could turn a buck. I trusted the original business owner and liked working with him. We pulled our unit out of the program because he sold the business to a real shady character. The new guy changed the rules in his favor, started nickel and diming me, etc.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

I can't recall ever knowing anyone who said, "We did it, and it was fantastic.".

A younger couple (mid-30’s?) from our church wanted a motorhome but with a couple of little ones and a mortgage that just wasn’t in the cards. They spoke to several other families in the church and decided to go for it, spreading the use between families.

After several years it’s still working really well for them all.

There’s several threads about owning a former rental unit and from what I’ve seen the vast majority agree it’s a great deal.

I suspect it’s kinda like the Ford V10 spitting out spark plugs or Pinto’s exploding deal, yes it happened to a FEW vehicles, percentage-wise, but the loudness / popularity of the horror stories outweigh the happy folks who have no issues and stayed quiet.

I’ve overnighted in rest areas a dozen plus times a year for 30+ years with not a single issue, if you believe some people you’d die the first night........

Even worse than renting out your personal stuff is attempting to "share" a item with friends and family.

Mixing money with friends and family is a great way to end up with no friends or family when feelings get hurt.

After many yrs of attempting to "help" my own brothers and sisters I woke up one day and realized in each case of "helping" I was losing money and they were getting a totally free ride on my back. Got burnt more than once mixing family and money. The one time darn near killed a friend of the family when my brother asked that person to "help" fill in dirt around a concrete wall on my property and the wall my brother built failed leaving the friends tractor almost falling into the void.. Yes, I was paying my brother's contractor business to build things for me but my brothers haste to finish the job faster almost killed someone.. It was the LAST time I ever used my brother's contractor business.

I have learned over the yrs that I cannot mix money or business with my relatives, causes to many fights and issues.

My best friends stay best friends because I do not mix money and friendship.

Yes, I do know of some folks that can go somewhere with their entire family and have fun... That is not my family, that would just turn into a train wreck of endless fighting and bickering.. Been there, done that.. Won't ever do that again.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

wapiticountry wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Only in a perfect world would you get 30 days of rental income in a month, 12 months a year, and the world is far from perfect. In most places there would only be demand for the rental a few months a year. Then you have to account for down days when the rig is returned and you do a turn around on cleaning, setup etc. Seldom will you have the luxury of the next renter wanting it exactly on the day you will have it ready from the previous renter. You will have to account for the fact sometimes people will not return on time, and if you don't have the trailer available you will have a VERY big problem when the next renter shows up at your door.

In the supposed example the people are using a rental company to obtain the renters. They will take a fee for the service, probably around 33 to 50% of the rent. So you get 50 to 70% of the income along with 100% of the depreciation and risk. Like others have posted, if it was so lucrative why haven't savvy business people already saturated the market?

While I would not consider doing it. I think it could be viable.
You first have to see the RV as just an object vs. your personnel living space.
I used $100/day just to keep the numbers simple. I trust most RV's rent for more than $100.00/day.
There are people renting RV's using a "Air B&B" style business plan.
As well as El Monte and others that rent motor homes.
There are plenty of existing RV rental businesses.
Those Class C rigs are the closest thing to a common Car or SUV as far as operation. That makes them a possibility for the average person. A trailer or a Fifth Wheel would require a compatible tow vehicle with a compatible hitch. They are also de-optioned to make things as simple as possible. They have no Televisions or other electronics that complicate operating the rig. They are very utilitarian and bare boned, not what most people would want as a personal rig.
And those national rental companies have numerous rigs to account for scheduling, break downs, etc. They get special pricing when buying from the manufacturers since they are all exactly the same configuration and they are buying hundreds, not one. They are located in high population centers and areas of high tourist demand. And they also move them around the country to take advantage of the fact different areas have different peak rental seasons, so they get a lot more rental nights. Very different than someone with one rig to rent at a static location (their home) that might not be a short UBER or taxi ride from the airport.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone rent out their camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.