Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Meh, what's old is now new again..

Great post, and I didn't realize that GM offered this a while back too. You guys talking about how it's not going to run 2 a/c's in your 40' 5er all night, this is a 150 truck, it's not pulling your 5er.

The use case I'm thinking of is boondocking with your typical family TT or pop-up pulled by the 150, run the truck for a few hrs to charge the batteries and not have to bother with a separate generator and gas can.

Also handy for contractors. The electronics make this cool...on the hybrid, power comes from the battery and the inverter starts the engine automatically when it needs more power.

The hybrid gets the 3.5L twin turbo ecoboost along with an electric motor, so plenty of power on tap for towing. Of course GVWR is limited, it's a 150.

I would LOVE to have one of these built into my truck, one of my challenges now is where to store the generator....

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Great post, and I didn't realize that GM offered this a while back too. You guys talking about how it's not going to run 2 a/c's in your 40' 5er all night, this is a 150 truck, it's not pulling your 5er.

The use case I'm thinking of is boondocking with your typical family TT or pop-up pulled by the 150, run the truck for a few hrs to charge the batteries and not have to bother with a separate generator and gas can.

I was referring to a smaller single air/con 30amp unit.

1 air/con with a few other small draws will be pulling around 1.5kw which means a 1.5kwh truck battery will last about an hour (probably less as the truck will probably kick the motor on earlier so as not to risk damage to the battery if drawn down too low).

If you are boondocking with minimal electric use, it will work but it looks a lot more expensive than just adding an extra deep cycle batteries and a solar panel to the trailer.

If I bought a used truck and it happened to have it...great but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

PS: A big 2-3 air/con 5er would be lucky to get 15min before the engine kicks in.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a fairly well thought out option, with enough power to actually be useful (in all 3 configurations) and not prohibitively expensive (that's relative, of course, to the cost of the truck).

But the marketing to "contractors" and "pros" is just that. Marketing.
Anyone who thinks different, isn't a contractor or a "pro."

It is, however, a cool option for the weekend warrior, boondocker and home handyman.
Good job Ford for thinking out of the box, but let's don't blow this too out of proportion either way, rvnetters!

BTW, a real contractor wouldn't park his truck that close to the work. I've actually fired people who repeatedly couldn't keep their truck out of the line of fire! Big no no in real work.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

.... and not prohibitively expensive........

I've done a little looking and none of the articles include the price. Do you know how much it is?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

I've done a little looking and none of the articles include the price. Do you know how much it is?

Think I read it's a $995 option on the base model and then whatever the hybrid and power boost whatever it's called options for the truck for the bigger inverters (but includes the operating feature)
$1000 + $2700 for the hybrid and like $4k for the power boost option.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/21 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

People keep asking this but it depends on your starting point. On the model that I am looking at which is a fully load Lariat crew cab with max tow the hybrid is $3,300 more than the 2.7 but only $1,900 more than the standard regular 3.5.

$1,900 is a whole lot less than an inverter drive standalone generator of that capacity, if you can even find one. The closest Honda makes 2,000 less watts and costs $3k more.

After taking a second look I realized that I had stopped with the 2.4kw hybrid version. To get the full 7.5kw version is an additional $750. The least expensive generator version is the base motor with a 2kw inverter for $950.

If you want to know what it would cost in your dream truck you can build it here and find out:

Build your own F150

* This post was edited 01/08/21 09:31pm by Groover *

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

$1,900 is a whole lot less than an inverter drive standalone generator of that capacity, if you can even find one. The closest Honda makes 2,000 less watts and costs $3k more.

Thanks for the info but I'm not sure where you are getting pricing.

A 2400w honda isn't $4900 (7500w is way overkill for a 30amp RV so not really relevant). Heck helped friends pick out a 3100w Champion last year for $550. That will handle pretty much anything a 1/2ton truck can pull. So far the only real advantage is you save some bed space.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Groover wrote:

A 2400w honda isn't $4900 (7500w is way overkill for a 30amp RV so not really relevant). Heck helped friends pick out a 3100w Champion last year for $550. That will handle pretty much anything a 1/2ton truck can pll. So far the only real advantage is you save some bed space.

You raise a valid point. Much like a built in genset on an RV. Ii is very convenient to have push button power via a built in Onan on an RV.
Ford is offering that convenience in a tow vehicle vs. having it in the RV. That convenience vs. a stand alone genset means no lifting ,hauling or carrying. No security or gas cans issue.
No need to plan for having the genset it is always with you and not in the garage when you need it!
I will also finding a TT with a factory installed genset is rare/impossible. Ford is offering a built in option to TT haulers who desire built in but are not able to get a built in in the RV, they can go for the next best thing a built in in the TV.
Similar to a built in RV genset you will pay a premium for the convenience of a built in TV genset. The hybrid option coupled with the genset option is quite a bit more than a stand alone genset, however you do benefit from the conveniences.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

This is a fairly well thought out option, with enough power to actually be useful (in all 3 configurations) and not prohibitively expensive (that's relative, of course, to the cost of the truck).

But the marketing to "contractors" and "pros" is just that. Marketing.
Anyone who thinks different, isn't a contractor or a "pro."

It is, however, a cool option for the weekend warrior, boondocker and home handyman.
Good job Ford for thinking out of the box, but let's don't blow this too out of proportion either way, rvnetters!

BTW, a real contractor wouldn't park his truck that close to the work. I've actually fired people who repeatedly couldn't keep their truck out of the line of fire! Big no no in real work.

I would agree. We boondock more often than not and it would be handy to not have to lug my cheapo genny out for the limited times we actually need a little juice like a hot afternoon or to run an electric coffee pot or whatever. Or even better the Honda that I leave home a lot because it weighs a metric ton, even though it's a lot nicer to use. I bet on an average 3 or 4 day camping trip we probably run one for a collective two or three hours, if that, and for that type of usage this would be perfect. Unfortunately an F150 wouldn't cut it for us, so It would be nice if this migrated into the HD models. In theory, anyway - I'll probably keep my truck for another decade. I'm cheap like that.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Groover wrote:

A 2400w honda isn't $4900 (7500w is way overkill for a 30amp RV so not really relevant). Heck helped friends pick out a 3100w Champion last year for $550. That will handle pretty much anything a 1/2ton truck can pull. So far the only real advantage is you save some bed space.

If all you want is 2,000 watts, which is all that the Honda put out continuously, you can get that option on almost all of the 2021 F150's for $995. And that is less than the comparable Honda also. Plus, no fuel to mess with, it is always there and it is a lot harder to walk away with.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Built-in Genset on 2021 F-150
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.