Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Something I've not seen before.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Something I've not seen before.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I would question the damage area. It looks like the rig was jack knifed and that what causes the pin to be ripped out of the pin box. If rig was going straight forward, it would have come through the tailgate.

colliehauler wrote:

Jackathan wrote:

The first picture clearly shows the trailer tipped over. It appears the person attempted to drive off the highway, and the trailer got over center, tipping over and tearing out the king pin.
I beleive you may be correct, it would be interesting to get the real story instead of speculation. You can tell it was a heck of amount of stress to bend the top plate on the B&W hitch.

My opinion is operator error whether intentional or accidental going off road into the ditch.

Well I agree with Enblethen, the rig jackknifed then at lest tipped over on it's side with the pin box resting on the side of the bed.
Based on a closer look at the first picture something caused the rig to jackknife and momentum the 5er rolled and the weakest part failed that being the plate the pin was wielded to.

At least the driver of the TV in the picture was nice enough to provide the Popcorn for the discussion.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On end-dump trailers that often fall on side if not careful unloading, we hope the base breaks loose as it falls. Much less chance of the driver getting hurt. The 5th wheel turned over, did not take pickup and people with it.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While my first thought was pin failure, maybe cheap weld, cheap steel of pin box, I now don't think that was the case. The FW clearly did roll over on side, and something has to give, unless truck goes over too.

It does not look like the hitch failed in any way. The FW frame does not appear to be twisted by the box mount. It does not appear that any of this is due to poor manufacturing.

I will try to get a camera view of the inside of my Lippert box, showing pin inside. If I get a decent pic, I will post it. Rethinking this, I don't think we have to fear a pin weld failure/pull through in all but extreme cases, such as this.

Jerry

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first thought when looking at the pictures is there is no lubrication between the hitch and the pin box. With all that rust and friction when turning it could have already had cracks in the welds before the turn-over.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Looks like the trailer stayed upright. That's a miracle too.

I stand corrected on this one. I neglected to look close at the picture to see the ground impact evidence on the side of the 5ver.

This puts a different "twist" on the situation. If the unit jackknifed before the trailer flipped I can see how the pin would have extreme pressure on it, causing it to tear out.

But still, the pin shouldn't have torn out like that.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I can find the post again, I'll ask about further details. But if it was driver error, he may be reluctant to admit to that. I'll get back with more info if I get some.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm wondering how he managed to right the trailer. Picture shows no people, emergency vehicles or anything around it.
Logic would dictate that if a wrecker was there for the task that they would have towed it away.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a pic of the inside of my pin box. Birds starting a home.[emoticon] Lots of rust inside, normal I suppose. In the pic, it looks like the pin reinforcement is welded to top of box, but has a pyramid steel weld surrounding pin at bottom. You are looking at pic, as though peering straight in from back side of box, and where it looks like pin reinforcement, the pyramid steel structure goes to top part of box.

[image]

Hard to get great pic, due to downward angle, but you can zoom, if interested.

Jerry

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, Would you get information from your source as to exactly what happen including speed and weather condition?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Imagine the stress on that with no grease.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Something I've not seen before.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.