cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Diesel trip in US 1930

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
This day in history 1930 Cummins put a Diesel in a Packard and drove from Indianapolis to New York Auto Show to prove it was reliable.
8 REPLIES 8

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Were all going to wake up on Jan 21 and be green, and we'll all join in song, after breakfast of course, and belt out Kumbaya. By summer RVing and camping should become a little less popular resulting in increased campsite availability. That's going to take a little longer. Covid should be a thing of the past by Jan 31st, but the price of fuel hitting $4.00-$5.00 per gallon may take a few months, probably until May or June. They're already getting a head start on it though.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I think that we all need to start thinking about flux-capacitors. Just imagine pulling up the local fast food joint and dumping all of their garbage into the fuel tank.
I thought we did already with bio-Diesel

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think that we all need to start thinking about flux-capacitors. Just imagine pulling up the local fast food joint and dumping all of their garbage into the fuel tank.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
I wonder what comes after Electric motors going forward.

That's easy:

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Electric vehicles do serve a purpose but not much chance they will be even near 50% of the vehicles on the road in the next 20 years as the ability of electrical production even with wind and solar will stifle the getting even 50% of the vehicles on the roads being totally electric powered will assure that. Electric power generation is, was, and for well beyond the next 20 years will mainly come from fossil fuel, hydro, nuclear, and natural gas with solar and wind contributing the lesser amount by far and there's a limit to how much can be diverted on the grid systems just for massive electrical vehicle consumption.

First off: The polluting emissions for the producing of Li-ion etc batteries, solar panels, and windmills is staggering. Let alone what to do with the incredible amount of non-recyclables waste from all the very high polluting waste that is left behind when the no longer useable batteries, solar panels, and wind mills are scraped!

Secondly: The cost of making the batteries, solar panels, and wind mills in the volume needed is also staggering plus! AND must include the near totally redoing and re-constructing of you entire grid system. This is such alone that will keep the number of electric powered only vehicles and OTR trucks well below even 50% for the foreseeable future of far more than 20 years out. Likely 40 to 50 years or more from today!!!

I'm nt against electric vehicles at all but it is going to keep land, air, and sea pollution just to remain at the same level as today with the manufacturing required, needing of the additional electrical power production required, and the total re-making of the grid system just in the USA alone. Dare you to add the approximately 95% of the rest of the worlds population and countries doing the same thing and note what a beyond messed planet called Earth will be the result. There's no pie in the sky or nothing is really free either scenario. Yes, much worse planet than the planet is today and that is assured!!! PERIOD!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
And 100 years later, the Diesel Engine will begin being phased out for the all Electric motors. I wonder what comes after Electric motors going forward.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the history lesson! Interesting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins realized that industrial application engines were not the best route for the growing business considering the wear farmers did to their engines. Dirt, mud and foliage particulate matter often clogged the engines, which were at the time often exposed to the elements on makeshift plows. Cummins was convinced the future of diesel engines was in over-the-road trucks and cars. To demonstrate the efficiency of diesel to the general public he installed one of his diesel engines in his 1926 Packard and drove from Indiana to New York.
Ken