cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need my fan on when cooking in the oven?

dradeng
Explorer
Explorer
Title says it all. Do I need to ru my fan while the oven is on like I do with the stove tops?
17 REPLIES 17

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
I used to be a big user of my oven but have slowly started to use the convection oven in the micro more and more.

How are you liking that?

I'm ordering one.

It sure beats getting on the hands and knees to start the oven. The convection just takes a little getting used to but does a fine.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I used to be a big user of my oven but have slowly started to use the convection oven in the micro more and more.

How are you liking that?

I'm ordering one.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think if you run your fan at home when you cook, you'd prolly want to run you fan in your coach when you cook. Also, in my opinion it would depend on what you're cooking. Frying something.....yes, boiling something..yes to remove moisture. As mentioned earlier, a fantastic fan can also remove steam, moisture from boiling water faster and quieter than the kitchen fan. I like to run the fan when cooking bacon or sausage. That way the neighbors can smell the yummies. Now if they're Vegans.......They can smell my coffee perking.........Now, if they're Vegans that don't drink coffee........I have a larger challenge in front of me!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
If you have time and desire to tinker around theres a chance the microwave fan is 12v. You could power it from a nearby lighting circuit so its works off the battery.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Eaither smoke is good as long as it works. They will both give you plenty of time to get out. And make up air with anything that burns is good advice. If you use your fan, make sure you open it on the outside. Many have a latch or push pin that the fan motor cant open by itself. So if yours isnt working check that. Mine works ok. More reasons to cook outside.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
And for another point to consider. You might think differently if you have a CO detector with a digital readout. The only time it has gone off in any of our RV's is when the oven was on and no ventilation.

I do have a digital readout CO detector and the amount of Carbon Monoxide generated by the oven is scary. Probably why they have a warning about using the oven for "comfort heating".

If you don't want to run the fan, just leave a couple windows open slightly(1/4" to 1/2"). You will be fine.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
In RV's wouldn't it be safer to use an ionization type smoke detectors especially since RV's burn faster?

Someone smarter than me should probably answer that question but in my case, the smoke detector still goes off quickly if there's any smoke from cooking. So now, instead of going off EVERY time we cook, it only goes off if we burn something.

Makes sense. Thanks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Since we dry camp most of the time, we don't have ability to run the fan...

The light and the fan on the range hood work on 12v, so it should work just fine even when boondocking.

For the OP, you only "need" to run the fan to exhaust smoke or odors, same as you would at home.

Our light and fan is in the over the range microwave and hence not 12V.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a dry camper and run my Fantastic fans all the time but I never run the noisy stove hood fan. I cook mostly during daylight and the small draw of the fans is replaced by my solar panels.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
In RV's wouldn't it be safer to use an ionization type smoke detectors especially since RV's burn faster?

Someone smarter than me should probably answer that question but in my case, the smoke detector still goes off quickly if there's any smoke from cooking. So now, instead of going off EVERY time we cook, it only goes off if we burn something.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
Since we dry camp most of the time, we don't have ability to run the fan...

The light and the fan on the range hood work on 12v, so it should work just fine even when boondocking.

For the OP, you only "need" to run the fan to exhaust smoke or odors, same as you would at home.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
In our Grand Design Reflection there isn't any exhaust fan of either kind. We do have a small window at the back of the stovetop and a max air fan in the ceiling close to where the stove/oven is but that's it. So I don't think it's necessary to use yours. We did change out our smoke detectors though as the original ones installed were going off constantly. They would even go off when making toast when there was no visible smoke. They were ionization smoke detectors and we switched them out with the photoelectric type and they don't go off from cooking anymore unless we truly have smoke in the RV.