cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frosted dual pane window

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Monaco has somehow got moisture in between the window panes on the drivers side window blocking the outside rear view mirror. Any suggestions as to how to fix this?
7 REPLIES 7

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Darn, I left West Palm Beach Monday and am now in central NC. Have to find that place when I get back down there. Thanks for the info

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
South East coast? Look for Suncoast Designers in Hudson, Florida - they'll clean your windows while you wait!

I used Suncoast several years ago on all 13 windows in my fifth wheel. They have hookups on site while you wait, power and water with a dump on site. No extra charge for the site.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
South East coast? Look for Suncoast Designers in Hudson, Florida - they'll clean your windows while you wait!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quartzsite? Went by there once and that was enough of that zoo. Right now I am on the South East coast. But at least its an offer, thanks

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Since the OP is located everywhere, he can get the windows repaired in Quartzsite for 100-150 depending on size of window

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great advice above, I have seen videos on Youtube years ago that stated the same thing. Can be a DYI project, although the overall process might be more than most would attempt. I do pretty much all the repairs, maintenance, and upkeep of all my motorized and towable RVs over the last 3 decades, I would probably let the pros handle this scenario. Thankfully our Monaco has not experienced this issue, I know it will eventually occur some time down the road. Good luck, it would be a pain not being able to see our driver/passenger side mirrors and solely rely on our side cameras to maneuver down the road.

2 ways to approach this. Either way, the glass has to be removed from the frame. The reason it has fogged up between the panes is because the seal has failed, allowing air and moisture to enter.

1) Order a new glass unit to replace the failed one
Or
2) Remove the glass unit and repair it.

Option 2: It is a lot of work. I have done this on residential glass. The process is the same.
Remove the glass from the frame and with a sharp utility knife, cut the glass away from the spacer bar, both sides. Then thoroughly clean the glass, if it is possible. More on that later.

A bandaid approach is to reseal the glass to the spacer bar. NOT recommended! The best way is to get new spacer bar and properly reseal it with glazing silicone. The standard seal is polysulphide, which is used extensively for residential glazing. Your house windows don't move around, your MH windows do. Therefore silicone glazing is better. All this needs to be done in a controlled environment. Clean and dry!

The inside of the spacer bar is filled with desiccant to absorb moisture and keep the glass dry inside. Once the unit has failed, the desiccant is rendered useless.

If the unit has been fogged up for more than a short period of time, the glass will be etched inside and impossible to clean. It eats right into the glass, ruining it. A trained eye can tell by looking at it. Look for cloudy, milky staining on the glass.

I have done this process literally on the tailgate of my truck, but then I have also worked in the industry for several decades.

In all honesty, don't try this yourself if you are not familiar with it.
Take the glass to a glass shop and have a pro fix it, or just order a new piece of glass and put it in your existing frame. Keep in mind both sides of the glass are tempered safety glass. This is a whole process to make. Tempering is done in a large oven to heat treat it.

It is impossible to correct this without removing the glass from the window.

As usual, I get long winded.....:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com